“nightmare at the Gazebo please use cash!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Gazebo Inn to your Saves list
Gazebo Inn
1607 South Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #35 of 216 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“nightmare at the Gazebo please use cash!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I traveled to Myrtle Beach Sept 8 2014 for our vacation. We have been coming to MB for over 25 years and have stayed at all types of establishments, all levels of service and amenities. The Gazebo Inn is just what is advertised, a small older motel that is basic. The rooms were average in cleanliness and comfort. The location on oceanfront was wonderful. That's where the pleasantries end. On 9/8/2014 we paid for a 7 night stay with a debit card, I made sure I informed the desk clerk it was a debit. No problem noted until on 9/11/2014 I checked my balance and noted a second pending debit for the entire room stay!!! I immediately checked with my bank and determined this was NOT a banking error. I went to the front desk in a panic, naturally and explained the situation. The front desk manager stated several conflicting responses" I have never had this happen before; You run a card once for authorization and once for the charge; after 4 or 5 days, it will drop off". If this had never happened before, why all the varying scenarios? I explained my bank needed a fax on GI letterhead stating the hotel did not want the pending debit to be processed. She replied "Whew, i have a lot of work to do!" I replied I would wait and it took about 5 minutes to write a 3 line letter and fax to my bank. At no time did the hotel accept responsibility for the second debit. Unfortunatley, my bank advised it would be at least 2 or 3 business days before this was cleared. That left us almost nothing for the rest of our vacation. We explained to the front desk manager that we would need to leave as we had no resources to enjoy the rest of our stay, she said all she could do was credit my debit card. Mind you, with a debit, according to the bank the initial first debit cleared on 9/10/2014. The hotel had their cash. They did not return in cash, but a credit that did not clear until Tuesday, four days later. I realize I will be vilified and crucified by the owner as it appears any issues or problems that occur are always the fault of the guest. T We are not overly picky people, we are not loud, we just wanted a clean safe place to stay. The reason we checked in to this hotel are the overwhelming positive reviews of other guests. I spoke with the owner of the hotel on 9/17/2014 as did my husband regarding this issue. Again, the hotel accepted NO responsibility and said that our bank was the "worst for holding money and it was an illegal act". I stated very clearly and politely to the owner that I had used debit cards for hotels for YEARS and had never had an issue. Again, no responsibility. The lack of customer service and willingness on the part of this establishment to try to remediate the damage that was done very surprising. For a small hotel that supposedly prides itself on caring for its guests, it was non existent. I should have known something was not quite right when i went to get ice from the ice machine. It is located on in interior hallway, only accessible by guests. There is a sign on the machine that says "smile, you are on camera" no using ice machine for coolers! Sure enough, there is a security camera guarding the ice!!! In my opinion, the Gazebo Inn needs to focus more on customer service and less on guarding of the ice. The fact that over $700.00 was in limbo for over 4 days ruined our vacation.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Just returned home today from a 5 night stay at gazebo Inn. .. excellent experience! Staff was very polite, rooms were cleaned daily, and cleaned well. Price was just right, view was perfect, and compared to the hotel we stayed in last year, only because we couldn't get a refund, this is a palace. Need to work on parking situation but otherwise best experience. .. see ya next year.

• Stayed September 2014
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so happy that you found the Gazebo to be such a great value, and that you were so satisfied with both the accommodations and the services that your received. That is fantastic. I am also sorry that you experienced some frustration with our parking deck. We realize that things are a bit tight on our lower level, and we are doing everything that we can to make the allowable improvements. We have various projects planned for this winter and spring that should make things a bit easier for our guests. It is our sincere hope that you will be pleased with the results once they are completed.

In closing I would like to thank you once again for your business! We greatly appreciate it, and we are looking forward to seeing you again during your next trip to the beach ~

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This review is kind of late but here goes.... My husband and I went to the beach August 10 2014 with a reservation somewhere else, this other hotel was by far the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. We was able to get the remaining days money back so we could find another hotel, Gazebo Inn was the first we stopped at and I am happy we did because they only had one roon left and right after my husband walked in someone called wanting the room but thankfully we was first. I will list some of the great things about this hotel/room: the room had a kitchenette like we was wanting, the whole room was so clean and smelled good, the woman at the front desk, Julie, was very nice and helpful, we liked that you had to have a key to get in the hotel after a certain hour, the pool and pool deck was clean, the beds was comfortable, the balcony was cozy, the maids stopped by everyday to see if we needed anything, right on the beach, the kitchenette had counter space to sit things while cooking, above the fridge was a shelf to put our groccerys. The only bad thing about this hotel was the parking underneath the hotel, it was so tight it was hard to park and it was very hard pulling in and out from under it but Julie let us know this upon checking in. We will never stay anywhere else but Gazebo Inn when we are at Myrtle Beach, Thank you Gazebo Inn for helping us be able to finally enjoy our vacation( we actually thought about going home after leaving the first hotel but glad we didnt).

Room Tip: The oceanfront are always great but the rooms on the side toward the back are just as good and you c...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience at another hotel in Myrtle Beach. That is a shame, but so glad that you were able to get the remaining balance back from them and that we were able to accommodate you when you did. That is fantastic. I am also happy to hear that you found our little place to be quaint, quiet, safe and comfy. That is terrific, and certainly the kind of experience that we hope each and every one of our guests experience when they stay with us. I am also sorry to hear that you had some difficulty with the lower parking level. I really wish that we could do more about it, however it is an older structure that was built in the 70's and there is only so much that we can do with the existing space. We do plan on some additional improvements this winter and up coming spring, and it is our sincere hope that these improvements will eliminate some of the frustrations that many of our guests have experienced when parking downstairs.

With that said I would like to thank you once again for your business. It is wonderful to hear that you plan on staying with us each and every time you visit Myrtle Beach, and we are all most definitely looking forward to seeing you again when you do.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I have been going to Gazebo Inn for 15 years. We LOVE it and will continue to always go back each time we are in Myrtle Beach. It's very clean, I love the new updated pool...it's beautiful! The staff is very helpful and always willing to help, the maids work very hard to keep the rooms clean. If you take time to talk to them you would learn they are people who care about their jobs. As mentioned in a lot of other comments the parking is a mess. We have only had one issue the 15 years going, but no big deal. When I talked to the front desk she did apologize and it will not stop me from going back. It's nice to be treated with respect! And we LOVE. The Gazebo Inn!

• Stayed September 2014
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi Guys! Thank you so much for the great review and for being such loyal guests for 15 plus years. That is awesome! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the improvements that we made over the winter as much as you did to include our recently refurbished pool and spa. I am also sorry to hear that you had some issues with parking. We realize that the lower level can be a challenge believe me, and we are continuing to make allowable improvements. Since we have been back we have added a privacy fence between us and the adjacent property, security cameras, and additional lighting. This winter and spring we plan on making some additional improvements to both the upper and lower parking decks. I feel pretty certain that you will be impressed with those too once they are completed.

In closing I would like to once again thank you and your family for your loyal patronage. Repeat business is most definitely the key to our success and I want you to know that we value yours! All of us here are looking forward to your next visit ~

Kannapolis, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided to plan a quick last minute trip to Myrtle Beach before the kids returned to school. I was using another site that doesn't tell you the hotel name until after booking, so I had spent a few hours playing detective with their map vs. a Google map of Myrtle Beach hotels. I noticed the Gazebo Inn on the Google map, and looked up the website. After looking at some cute photos (once I saw the gazebo I realized we knew exactly where this was - I had commented on the cute gazebo out front on our last trip to Myrtle.). I called to ask about vacancies and prices, and was shocked at how inexpensive it would be! We upgraded to an oceanview room for only slightly more.

I AM SO GLAD WE TOOK THE CHANCE!

Gazebo Inn turned out to be a super sweet and cozy little place. As other posters have mentioned, it is nothing elaborate - but it is clean and quaint, and the staff were all super friendly. The room had two beds which were surprisingly comfortable, with a little kitchen and a nice little bathroom. We had a side balcony with a nice ocean view.

The atmosphere the entire weekend was extremely positive - even when one of our belongings was accidentally thrown away with the trash. Admittedly we (ok...ME...) left an item too close to the trash can when we left the room for the afternoon. Julie (I believe?) took it upon herself to personally search by hand through the remaining trash bags to try and find it. The maid apologized personally the next day. It wasn't found, and was not a huge deal really, but their concern and effort to locate the item was appreciated. There was also some sort of mishap with the coffee maker - the maids offered to clean it but I insisted on doing it myself as I felt bad (there was coffee EVERYWHERE...) They did replace the coffee maker and I had no more incidents ;)

The pool was well maintained and clean, and everyone at the pool (guests) were extremely social and friendly! Our kids had a blast and the baby of course LOVED the oo-ing and ahh-ing from everyone while he crawled around (with us right by him, of course). We felt secure enough to allow the kids visit the pool without us present (we were only a minute away on the beach.)

The entrance to the beach is short and very nice, and opens to a great spot. We appreciated the shower/hose for cleaning sand off. We were hit by a surprise storm on Saturday, and it was nice to be able to quickly pack up our things and be back inside the hotel within minutes, rather than having to hike back to our car or a further away hotel in the rain.

We had an emergency while at the Gazebo - the baby slipped and fell on his pack and play and broke his front tooth. We immediately ran to the ER - Julie at the front desk was extremely concerned for him and recommended the Urgent Care around the corner (which was unfortunately closed at the time.) Everything turned out ok thank goodness - and again Julie's concern and care was appreciated. She made a point of asking about him and playing with him when I checked us out on Monday.

Also, The free wifi was appreciated by the kids ;)

The ONLY bumps we came across:

Parking: I had read the reviews and knew to expect the small garage. We drove a VW Jetta and still had some trials in maneuvering. We we actually joking about who would win the game of chicken between a car coming down the ramp and a car going up (made me think of the tractor scene in Footloose haha). We had a spot every day though and did not worry much about it otherwise.

Smoke Alarm: My fiance made chicken nuggets the first night we were there for the kids...and somehow set off the alarm in the room I think three times. I am not sure if the alarm is heat sensitive, as there was no smoke coming from the oven. We decided not to cook anymore after that.

I want to add - the little hotdog/ice cream place across the sweet is ADORABLE and needs to be visited. It is VERY tiny inside, with only one table to eat at inside - but the little old ladies that work there are the SWEETEST <3

Side note - we will forever remember our trip to the Gazebo Inn, as our baby actually took his FIRST steps while in our room <3

Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for such a lovely review! You and your family were such a joy to have around, and I am so happy that your son was OK. He is such a cute little guy, and it is always scary when someone so young gets hurt. Its great to hear that you and your husband found everyone on staff to be so friendly and helpful, and that you also found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. That is fantastic. We do our best to make the place feel like a family beach house instead of a large resort so it is so nice to know that you found it to be that way. There is not better compliment than that.

We would like to thank you both for your business, and we are most definitely looking forward to your next visit to the beach~

Princeton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided on this hotel because my fiancé and his family had been staying there for years. We booked a room with the kitchenette. Only one they had at booking was bottom floor. I asked to be moved to a upper floor if possible. When we arrived we were greeted with respect. To my surprise they were able to get us to a upper floor. Very nice, clean rooms. I enjoyed that you didn't have to walk very far to get to the beach. My fiancé is handicapped so this was a big plus. They provided everything we needed. Great housekeeper, did not catch her name, but she always gave us plenty fresh linins daily. Pool and hot tub were very clean. We enjoyed talking to Dave and Julie about my fiancés family's past trips. We also left a little dog that he was given years ago by the family that owned the hotel. He wanted to bring it back home. We had such a amazing time even though it rained the entire week. I would recommend it not only for the cleanliness, but very affordable to. Can't wait to go back and visit everyone again!

Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I have to tell you that your visit meant a great deal to David. ( Dad). The most rewarding aspect of being in this business as long as he has been is by far seeing the same families come back year after year, generation after generation. He doesn't like to admit it (LOL) but some of the adults that return year after year he remembers coming when they were kids and they are now returning with their own children and dare I say is GRAND CHILDREN! Yikes! I guess he really is old :-) Seriously, it really brings back some great memories for him. For those of you that don't know, David's Mom (Ma Perkins) came to Myrtle Beach in the early 1970's and bought a small motel. It was quite unheard of for a woman on her own from a small town like Kannapolis NC to buy a motel and run it by herself back them, however she was determined to do. Ma was a pioneer. She really had a tough time and made great personal and financial scarifies along the way, but she never gave up. She was determined to succeed, and succeed she did.

David and his twin sisters Arlene and Darlene eventually came to work with Ma when she purchased the Hurl Rock Motel. Like your fiancé, some of the people reading this review may remember those days. They did a lot of great things back then like ice cream socials once a week on the sundeck. Ma & the kids would make homemade ice cream. The guests were told to bring a bowl and a spoon and meet their hotel neighbors for some good old fashioned fun. Ma always went out of her way to remember each and everyone of her guests. Sometimes they would go fishing together or perhaps she would give the special kids a toy, as was the case with your fiancé. David said the entire family signed that little red dog, and he couldn't believe that he still had it all these years later.

The family no longer owns the Hurl Rock Motel, and sadly Ma has since passed on however those old fashioned values and ethics that she lived by are still with us all today. I am so happy that you were able to find us here at the Gazebo Inn, and that you were so pleased with your stay when you did. That is fantastic! We truly enjoyed meeting you all and taking that very special trip down memory lane. We are all so thrilled that you plan to make the Gazebo Inn your family vacation destination for all of your future trips to the beach. We are truly looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Many thanks.

Warmest Regards,
David, Jane, Julie & Staff
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where do i start.the staff Julie,Roxanne all were nice sweet and extremely helpful room 1315 was clean and updated. Pool area extremely nice and updated . Julie and her team had everything under control no loud or out of control guests.never had any problem with parking. My overall ascessment was you cant beat the gazebo,for price convenience,and comfort. We will definitel yreturn we stayed 17 aug -22 aug once again thanks Daniel and Karen Gazdag

Room Tip: Stay ocean front
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Wow! Thank you! I am so happy to hear that you found the Gazebo to be such a great little vacation spot. That is fantastic! 1315 is one of my favorite rooms too. There is nothing better than sitting out on the balcony in those rocking chairs and watching the waves roll in is there? Makes me want to go do it right now actually :-) Thank you for acknowledging the outstanding efforts put forth by Roxanne and the rest of the crew to offer you guys a clean, quiet, friendly, and safe little getaway without breaking the bank. I really do appreciate that as do they. It's so nice to know that you would definitely stay with us again the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area, and that you would happily recommend us to your family and friends. It just doesn't get any better than that.

We truly appreciate your business, and we are looking forward to seeing you both again the next time you are at the beach~

Julie

Been to Gazebo Inn? Share your experiences!