“Jerry & Mary November 3” 4 of 5 stars

Gazebo Inn
1607 South Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #33 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Savannah, Georgia
“Jerry & Mary November 3”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We came here and it was a fast and easy process to get a room. Ocean view on the 5th floor was awesome. I caught a picture of the eclipse that next morning November 3 2013. I could suggest to somebody that if you're planning to stay at a awesome place; next to a variety of things, then this is the place to stay. You have golf cart rentals as well as mopeds that looks like a car that can be rented 6 blocks down south ocean blvd.. You have hot tubs in range as well as pools. We came in there and an older guy welcomed us there and gave us our card and we were off to our room. I've learnt you can't hold an electronic device next to this card for your room because it will "deactivate" the card and you wouldn't be able to get back in your room so that's why they give you two of them. Make sure you bring you some food and snacks to put in the refrigerator as well to save you from finding a vending machine. Out of all, this place is well established, clean, comfortable, soothing ocean views, laid back atmosphere, genuine, and worth it. Thanks and everybody have a great evening.. And thanks to the older guy that helped us at the desk.

Room Tip: Pick out the ocean view on the 5th floor on down to the 3rd floor. Great sunshine so bring sunshades...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for Jerry and Mary for such a wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed our little place so much and that you plan on staying with us the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area. I also appreciate you mentioning how helpful you found JD to be when you came to rent your room. He is a good guy and a retired veteran and I feel he was treated badly on a couple of these reviews. We truly value your business and we are looking forward to having you both as our guests the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area.

Take care and ENJOY your Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays if we don't see you before then.

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We came in on Thursday Oct 31, walked in said our greetings to Julie and she was getting our favorite room ready to go!!! I think we were the only ones on the 5th floor but we love room 1515!!! It is at the end on the top floor so there is only someone on one side of you. The room has a King bed, new chairs. Large and clean. Private balcony, great view!!!! Of course it is not perfect, it is a older property, as a matter of fact my mother told me she stayed there for her honeymoon in 1980!!!! But we did not see mold like we saw at the mammoth Crown Reef either!!!!! The family has been working and working on this little place since they had to take it back from the other buyers so yes it is a work in progress.
I read the other review that said such bad things.. but I wish in my job I could be backed up by employers.. I have been treated like Ca Ca and no one at my job backs up the employee when they are being treated badly. I Really like the idea that Is someone is acting like a jerk they will be shown the door , Quickly!!!!
The guests seem to be older and not so many kids, so it is more quiet. They do not have a huge pool complex which suits me fine. My child is grown so my Sea Mist days are over with the multitude of pools and water parks!!!
We have thought of going somewhere else but always come back here... the ease of getting to your room because your car can be parked right there at the building, the comfort of the very nice but simple room, the knowledge that if I lose something (aka my phone) the chances of my getting back it is certain,(the staff is friendly and seem to be happy to be there), but the best is feeling welcome like family!!! Thanks again!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
You guys are the BEST! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. By far the most enjoyable part of this business is seeing our loyal guests time and time again year in and year out. It is truly like having friends and family with us when we see you all again. It also means a great deal to us to hear that we seem to be making progress with our projects. So much of what we have done for improvements over the last couple of years are things that are not so easily seen such as the new roof and WIFI and security systems. It is so nice to hear that our hard work and efforts seem to be paying off, and I really appreciate you acknowledging them for benefit of other travelers that may be considering a stay with us.

As you also so perfectly mentioned in your review, we are not a big fancy resort but instead more of a little old school "Mom and Pop" kind of a place. We cater to families and couples that are looking to experience that old beach house kind of nostalgic vacation that Myrtle Beach was established on. In a world where being politically correct seems to have taken the place of common sense we have found that there are a lot of folks out there that truly appreciate our "no nonsense tolerated here" kind of policy. It's just like it was when you stayed at your Grandmas house growing up. Clean, cozy and lots of fun as long as you don't go too crazy and respect the other folks around you. If things get out of hand, Grandma will send you back home quick like!

In closing I would like to once again Thank you for your loyal patronage. It was really wonderful to see you both again, and I was so happy to see that you were feeling mush better Good luck with the upcoming knee surgery. You simply must come back and relax in those rocking chairs once you are both able to do so.

Until then take care,
Danville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was a little wary when making this reservation based on some of the reviews, but I had a wonderful stay at the Gazebo Inn. We stayed in an ocean front room on the fifth floor and the view was amazing. The room reminded me of a bed and breakfast suite. It was very charming and comfortable. I found no faults at all with the cleanliness of our room and bathroom; they were spotless. The inn felt safe and was extremely quiet and peaceful. We did not even realize there were guests in the room next to us until the last evening we were there. The staff was very helpful and kind and one member of the cleaning staff we encountered every day on the fifth floor was especially cheerful and friendly every time I spoke with her. We will definately stay at this inn again. Thank you all for an excellent stay at the beach!

Room Tip: Cannot beat the view from the fifth floor ocean front rooms!
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
I am so happy that you decided to give us a try in spite of the couple of negative reviews that were posted recently. Thankfully most folks take into consideration that almost all of our reviews are positive, and that you just can't make some people happy no matter what you do. In fact, I have been told by several of our guests that they decided to try us out because unlike the larger resort properties the customer isn't always right, and if you are abusing the property or disturbing other guests we will ask you to leave. We are simply a small, quaint family owned and operated little place that caters to families and couples (singles have to be 25 years of age or older). We strive to offer all of our guests friendly "Low Country" hospitality and clean rooms for a very affordable price. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Inn as much as you did, and that you would definitely stay with us again the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area. Repeat business is so important to us, and we most certainly appreciate yours.

Thank you so very much!

Cooperstown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've stayed here many times and will continue to come back. The staff is great and very accommodating, rooms are clean, location is ideal, and staying is always a good experience. Easy access to pool, hot tub, and beach which were all very well kept.

Room Tip: Ocean front w/ kitchen
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience with other travelers. It is impossible to make everyone happy, however I think that most of our guests find us to be an excellent value. A majority of our business is based on repeat guests, and that certainly would not be the case if we were not treating our customers well. We truly appreciate your loyal patronage, and we are looking forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area.

Sophia, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Interesting check in experince!! My husband and I made reservations before coming down. I was quoted by a receptionist when I called in a price for a ocean-view room and was asked to pay 1 nite in advance which I did over the phone. I did ask for a ocean front and if anything become available to please move there and she quoted a price for that as well. But I paid for the ocean view 1 nite. Upon arriving I checked in with the man at the desk when he asked me to pay the balance amount it was some what more than I expected, being I had already paid for 1 nite. When I asked about the higher price he got very angry and said "Im just telling you what the computor says, and do you want the room or not? I was very taken back when all was doing was inquiring why the higher rate? He told me was a grumpy ole man and he could talk to me however!! I told him he was very rude and I didnt appreciate his behavior and his supervisor came out and just acted as rude as the grumpy old man! She called me a liar and I didnt know who I spoke with so she couldnt do any thing about the quote I was given b/c it was my word against them. The whole thing was like out of the twilight zone! Who owns this place that they can treat and act like that to customers. After thinking about it I must have been upgraded to ocean front room but was not told that when I asked about the higher balance. I still cant get over how I was talked to. Never have I ever been treated like this, over such a huge misunderstanding. The grumpy old man needs customer service skills but maybe he does own the place and just doesnt care how he treats and talks to people. Im assuming Julie is the supervisor I was dealing with and the one replying to all these reviews. I would like to apoligize for my husband's language and my own. But I will not aplogize for asking a valid question I dont know of anyone who thought they were being overcharged for not questioning that. Also the $15.00 late cancellation fee I was charged use that for some customer service skill classes and just over all how to treat people with respect and a smile I bet if you guys would do that for a while your business would thrive. Respect and Class go along way. So good luck with that and best wishes and smile once in a while. And tell that grumpy old man "Have a nice day!!!" Since you already have all my personal information I will sign this: Michelle Davis-Maness from Sophia, NC you want good customer service come down to NC we will show you how its done!!! Have a great day! Cant wait for your quick response!!!!

gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Based upon the way you and your husband treated everyone at the front desk including another young couple that were also trying to check-in, I am not at all surprised by the lack of truth that you have expressed here in this ridiculous review. Quite frankly the only shred of truth in it is that you and your husband both chose to use a considerable amount of profanity in an effort to receive an ocean front room for a side view rate and were eventually asked to leave the property.

This is a family owned and operated hotel, and we have always strived to treat our guests in a professional and courteous manner. For that reason we do in fact have a thriving business that is based largely on repeat business. If we were treating our guests in the manner in which you claim to have been treated, that would certainly not be the case and we would most definitely not have the large number of rave reviews that are posted here on this very web site.

You and your husband are obviously of the mind set that it should be acceptable to treat the people that are serving you ANY WAY that you choose to simply because you are a paying customer. Although I certainly do not expect our guests to be nice to us or even polite, I do not expect my staff or other guests for that matter to put up with the kind of abuse that you and your husband were dishing out in your best effort to receive a free upgrade. To use your own words, respect and class go a long way. In any event for the benefit of the other travelers that are reading this review I am going to respond here with some detail on what truly happened.

You called on 9/22/13 and booked a room type 4 (ocean view on the side with 2 queen beds) to arrive on 9/27/13 at a rate of $46 per night plus tax ($52.98). Your credit card was charged at that time for the first night, with the agreement that the remaining balance due would be paid at check-in. You called back a short time later and upgraded to a room type 9 (ocean front with a king bed) at a rate of $58 per night plus tax ($66.54). You UNDERSTOOD when you upgraded that there would be an ADDITIONAL charge of $13.56 per night above the $52.98 nightly rate that were originally quoted. I think that most people would agree that this is a VERY MINIMAL fee to upgrade to an ocean front room, and that you were treated quite fairly in terms of price.

At check-in you became very abusive towards JD when he gave you the remaining balance that was due on your reservation. You just kept repeating that you were quoted $52.98 per day and that was all that you were going to pay. He never called you a liar; he simply asked you who you talked to when you booked your reservation, and if you had made any changes to it.

You kept insisted that it didn’t mater who you talked to, and that you were not going to pay any more than $52.98 per night for the room. You and your husband both became very loud and aggressive and since there were other people in the office that were also trying to also check-in, I came to the front desk to see what was going on. You just kept repeating that you were not going to pay any more that $52.98 per day. You also kept asking why your credit card had been charged that amount if it wasn’t in fact the correct rate. I pulled up the details on your reservation and could see where you had called back and upgraded to the ocean front room, which clearly explained why the rate had slightly increased. It also explained why your credit card had been originally charged the lower rate of $52.98.

I tried to go over the charges with you, but you just didn’t want to hear anything other than you were going to receive the ocean front room for the same rate as the side ocean view room. I offered to move you back to the side ocean view room and even gave you an additional discount off of the ocean front room but this only seemed to aggravate you both further. Between the yelling and the profanity it became crystal clear that we were not going to be able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction and for the sake of everyone else involved you were offered a refund for the advanced deposit that you had paid and you were asked to leave. Your husband grabbed your purse and stormed out of the door letting the profanity fly, with you close on his heels offering more of the same. It was so bad that the other couple that was waiting to check in wanted to be sure that you were not going to be allowed back before they would agree to check in themselves. By the way they had a wonderful time.

In closing I would simply like to say that you and your husband were treated in a very professional and courteous manner. It is a shame that things ended up the way that they did, however the unfavorable conclusion was the result of YOUR actions not ours. I hope that you had better luck with your performance wherever you ending up staying.

Chester, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The beginning of our stay was fine but on the last night a very rude old man who apparently had his butt on his shoulders decided to be the biggest butt I have ever met before. The rooms are old and they smell. You get better service if you are ocean front apparently because on the sides you get the crappy rooms with the crappy furniture. Had considered making this our go to place because of the price but the old geezer made sure we would never stay here again. I will gladly leave here tomorrow and never look back.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!!! There is not a good room.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Wow. That was fast. It looks like you posted this last night after you had your parking issue with JD. You and I just talked about the parking issue at the front desk when your checked out, however you certainly never mentioned that you found the rooms to be old and smelly or that you believed the ocean front rooms received better service than the side rooms, or that there isn't a decent room in the place (NONE of which is true). For that reason I would like to clarify a couple of points for other travelers that are considering a stay with us.

First and foremost all of us here would once again like to thank you for your military service. You told me that you recently returned from a deployment, and because all of us here have family and friends that are also serving or have served (including my now ex who did multiple deployments in Iraq while we were together and Roxanne's son Allen who was also deployed to Iraq), we all understand first hand how stressful things can be when you return home. We also understand that because our parking is limited to one space per room it can be frustrating at times for some of our guests. Our lower parking deck has a 6'6" clearance, and for that reason we have 10 parking spaces that are on our upper deck that are reserved for high top vehicles that are either unable to make the 6'6" clearance or are too long to make the turn. Often times we have more of these high top vehicles than we have reserved spaces, and therefore the will have to park in other spaces on the upper level of our deck. We do our best to make sure that all of our guests know where to park, and we assist anyone with special needs the best we can when we can however it is what it is and there is only so much we can do about it given our limited space.

I regret that things did not go well between you and JD, who is also a combat veteran. I also regret that because of your disagreement and frustration with him you have chosen to make some unfair statements about our property because they simply are not true. Even still, all of us here at the Gazebo would like to thank you once again for your service and we truly hope that things go well for you and your family moving forward.

Best Regards,
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our time at the Gazebo Inn at Myrtle Beach SC was so much more than we has expected. We were on the ground level on the same floor as the office. Our room was facing the ocean and the rockers on the private balcony were big and comfortable. The room was clean and well maintained. All the staff were friendly and helpful with any questions we had about the area. This is a very small Inn and was just what we were looking for. We were there to relax and did not need to be entertained. The sound of the ocean and the wild life at night was so relaxing. We liked the idea that you needed your room key to reenter the Inn late at night or early morning. There were lots of restaurants that we walked to and some days the car did not leave the parking area. Thank you Gazebo Inn, you all made or vacation so special. We will be back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have very little traffic. All the ocean view rooms are great.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review and for posting the photographs of the beautiful view that you took from your balcony. We truly sit right on the beach (very rare), which gives us one of the prettiest and most peaceful spots in Myrtle Beach. There are not too many of us "Mom and Pop" properties left, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay in ours. Thank you for also mentioning some of the best features of our little Inn, to include our prime south end location and the secured interior hallways. This spring we replaced all of the main entrance doors, and added all new locks that require keys to enter before and after the office closes which I agree makes for a nice sense of comfort and security for our guests. It is also nice to hear that you plan on staying with us again the next time you are at the beach. Repeat business is so very important to us, and we certainly appreciate yours. We are looking forward to your next visit. Many thanks!

Julie

Been to Gazebo Inn? Share your experiences!