“Julie and 1 grumpy ole man! Have a Great Day!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Gazebo Inn
1607 South Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #36 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Sophia, North Carolina
“Julie and 1 grumpy ole man! Have a Great Day!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Interesting check in experince!! My husband and I made reservations before coming down. I was quoted by a receptionist when I called in a price for a ocean-view room and was asked to pay 1 nite in advance which I did over the phone. I did ask for a ocean front and if anything become available to please move there and she quoted a price for that as well. But I paid for the ocean view 1 nite. Upon arriving I checked in with the man at the desk when he asked me to pay the balance amount it was some what more than I expected, being I had already paid for 1 nite. When I asked about the higher price he got very angry and said "Im just telling you what the computor says, and do you want the room or not? I was very taken back when all was doing was inquiring why the higher rate? He told me was a grumpy ole man and he could talk to me however!! I told him he was very rude and I didnt appreciate his behavior and his supervisor came out and just acted as rude as the grumpy old man! She called me a liar and I didnt know who I spoke with so she couldnt do any thing about the quote I was given b/c it was my word against them. The whole thing was like out of the twilight zone! Who owns this place that they can treat and act like that to customers. After thinking about it I must have been upgraded to ocean front room but was not told that when I asked about the higher balance. I still cant get over how I was talked to. Never have I ever been treated like this, over such a huge misunderstanding. The grumpy old man needs customer service skills but maybe he does own the place and just doesnt care how he treats and talks to people. Im assuming Julie is the supervisor I was dealing with and the one replying to all these reviews. I would like to apoligize for my husband's language and my own. But I will not aplogize for asking a valid question I dont know of anyone who thought they were being overcharged for not questioning that. Also the $15.00 late cancellation fee I was charged use that for some customer service skill classes and just over all how to treat people with respect and a smile I bet if you guys would do that for a while your business would thrive. Respect and Class go along way. So good luck with that and best wishes and smile once in a while. And tell that grumpy old man "Have a nice day!!!" Since you already have all my personal information I will sign this: Michelle Davis-Maness from Sophia, NC you want good customer service come down to NC we will show you how its done!!! Have a great day! Cant wait for your quick response!!!!

gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Based upon the way you and your husband treated everyone at the front desk including another young couple that were also trying to check-in, I am not at all surprised by the lack of truth that you have expressed here in this ridiculous review. Quite frankly the only shred of truth in it is that you and your husband both chose to use a considerable amount of profanity in an effort to receive an ocean front room for a side view rate and were eventually asked to leave the property.

This is a family owned and operated hotel, and we have always strived to treat our guests in a professional and courteous manner. For that reason we do in fact have a thriving business that is based largely on repeat business. If we were treating our guests in the manner in which you claim to have been treated, that would certainly not be the case and we would most definitely not have the large number of rave reviews that are posted here on this very web site.

You and your husband are obviously of the mind set that it should be acceptable to treat the people that are serving you ANY WAY that you choose to simply because you are a paying customer. Although I certainly do not expect our guests to be nice to us or even polite, I do not expect my staff or other guests for that matter to put up with the kind of abuse that you and your husband were dishing out in your best effort to receive a free upgrade. To use your own words, respect and class go a long way. In any event for the benefit of the other travelers that are reading this review I am going to respond here with some detail on what truly happened.

You called on 9/22/13 and booked a room type 4 (ocean view on the side with 2 queen beds) to arrive on 9/27/13 at a rate of $46 per night plus tax ($52.98). Your credit card was charged at that time for the first night, with the agreement that the remaining balance due would be paid at check-in. You called back a short time later and upgraded to a room type 9 (ocean front with a king bed) at a rate of $58 per night plus tax ($66.54). You UNDERSTOOD when you upgraded that there would be an ADDITIONAL charge of $13.56 per night above the $52.98 nightly rate that were originally quoted. I think that most people would agree that this is a VERY MINIMAL fee to upgrade to an ocean front room, and that you were treated quite fairly in terms of price.

At check-in you became very abusive towards JD when he gave you the remaining balance that was due on your reservation. You just kept repeating that you were quoted $52.98 per day and that was all that you were going to pay. He never called you a liar; he simply asked you who you talked to when you booked your reservation, and if you had made any changes to it.

You kept insisted that it didn’t mater who you talked to, and that you were not going to pay any more than $52.98 per night for the room. You and your husband both became very loud and aggressive and since there were other people in the office that were also trying to also check-in, I came to the front desk to see what was going on. You just kept repeating that you were not going to pay any more that $52.98 per day. You also kept asking why your credit card had been charged that amount if it wasn’t in fact the correct rate. I pulled up the details on your reservation and could see where you had called back and upgraded to the ocean front room, which clearly explained why the rate had slightly increased. It also explained why your credit card had been originally charged the lower rate of $52.98.

I tried to go over the charges with you, but you just didn’t want to hear anything other than you were going to receive the ocean front room for the same rate as the side ocean view room. I offered to move you back to the side ocean view room and even gave you an additional discount off of the ocean front room but this only seemed to aggravate you both further. Between the yelling and the profanity it became crystal clear that we were not going to be able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction and for the sake of everyone else involved you were offered a refund for the advanced deposit that you had paid and you were asked to leave. Your husband grabbed your purse and stormed out of the door letting the profanity fly, with you close on his heels offering more of the same. It was so bad that the other couple that was waiting to check in wanted to be sure that you were not going to be allowed back before they would agree to check in themselves. By the way they had a wonderful time.

In closing I would simply like to say that you and your husband were treated in a very professional and courteous manner. It is a shame that things ended up the way that they did, however the unfavorable conclusion was the result of YOUR actions not ours. I hope that you had better luck with your performance wherever you ending up staying.

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Chester, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The beginning of our stay was fine but on the last night a very rude old man who apparently had his butt on his shoulders decided to be the biggest butt I have ever met before. The rooms are old and they smell. You get better service if you are ocean front apparently because on the sides you get the crappy rooms with the crappy furniture. Had considered making this our go to place because of the price but the old geezer made sure we would never stay here again. I will gladly leave here tomorrow and never look back.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!!! There is not a good room.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Wow. That was fast. It looks like you posted this last night after you had your parking issue with JD. You and I just talked about the parking issue at the front desk when your checked out, however you certainly never mentioned that you found the rooms to be old and smelly or that you believed the ocean front rooms received better service than the side rooms, or that there isn't a decent room in the place (NONE of which is true). For that reason I would like to clarify a couple of points for other travelers that are considering a stay with us.

First and foremost all of us here would once again like to thank you for your military service. You told me that you recently returned from a deployment, and because all of us here have family and friends that are also serving or have served (including my now ex who did multiple deployments in Iraq while we were together and Roxanne's son Allen who was also deployed to Iraq), we all understand first hand how stressful things can be when you return home. We also understand that because our parking is limited to one space per room it can be frustrating at times for some of our guests. Our lower parking deck has a 6'6" clearance, and for that reason we have 10 parking spaces that are on our upper deck that are reserved for high top vehicles that are either unable to make the 6'6" clearance or are too long to make the turn. Often times we have more of these high top vehicles than we have reserved spaces, and therefore the will have to park in other spaces on the upper level of our deck. We do our best to make sure that all of our guests know where to park, and we assist anyone with special needs the best we can when we can however it is what it is and there is only so much we can do about it given our limited space.

I regret that things did not go well between you and JD, who is also a combat veteran. I also regret that because of your disagreement and frustration with him you have chosen to make some unfair statements about our property because they simply are not true. Even still, all of us here at the Gazebo would like to thank you once again for your service and we truly hope that things go well for you and your family moving forward.

Best Regards,
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our time at the Gazebo Inn at Myrtle Beach SC was so much more than we has expected. We were on the ground level on the same floor as the office. Our room was facing the ocean and the rockers on the private balcony were big and comfortable. The room was clean and well maintained. All the staff were friendly and helpful with any questions we had about the area. This is a very small Inn and was just what we were looking for. We were there to relax and did not need to be entertained. The sound of the ocean and the wild life at night was so relaxing. We liked the idea that you needed your room key to reenter the Inn late at night or early morning. There were lots of restaurants that we walked to and some days the car did not leave the parking area. Thank you Gazebo Inn, you all made or vacation so special. We will be back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have very little traffic. All the ocean view rooms are great.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review and for posting the photographs of the beautiful view that you took from your balcony. We truly sit right on the beach (very rare), which gives us one of the prettiest and most peaceful spots in Myrtle Beach. There are not too many of us "Mom and Pop" properties left, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay in ours. Thank you for also mentioning some of the best features of our little Inn, to include our prime south end location and the secured interior hallways. This spring we replaced all of the main entrance doors, and added all new locks that require keys to enter before and after the office closes which I agree makes for a nice sense of comfort and security for our guests. It is also nice to hear that you plan on staying with us again the next time you are at the beach. Repeat business is so very important to us, and we certainly appreciate yours. We are looking forward to your next visit. Many thanks!

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I go to the beach every year for r n r. We so enjoyed our stay here, we we're here from 8/24 thru 8/31/2013 loved every minute of it. The room was clean, free of smell, even the elevator. Our room was 1505 we had a great view of the ocean and the sunset was amazing. The trip to the beach was fantastic only a short distance. Angela keep our room clean and smelling so fresh and I hope we showed her our appreciation with the tip. No its not a five star hotel but the friendliness and cleaniness made up for that. We will return to stay here again. So enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for all your hospitallity. Check it out you won't be disappointed we sure wasn't......

gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Those first floor pool side ocean front rooms are pretty neat aren't they? The patio opening right up to the pool deck on these rooms certainly makes it nice for folks that enjoy spending a good deal of time at the pool and beach. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I really appreciate that. My family also really appreciates your families business, and we are looking forward to your seeing you the next time you are at the beach!

Best,
statesville, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I can tell you my husband and are very picky about where we stay and even more so this year because we were traveling with our 4 month old son.. I have no complaints what so ever ! Very clean and comfy inn !! Don't go there expecting the ritz because there is no flat screen tv or indoor pool but for the price it is a heck of a place on the beach

gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. It is quite a compliment when a family with a such a young child feels so comfortable staying with us. As you mentioned, we are not a fancy resort by any means, however we work hard to offer very clean rooms at a low rate in a family friendly environment. I am so happy to hear that we are doing well in those areas, and that you would stay with us again the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area. We appreciate you spending your hard earned dollars here with us, and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Best.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Me and my son, along with his family, just returned from another great visit to the Gazebo Inn (8/29/13 – 9/2/13). They are already planning to return next year. Convenient location and great room rates. The room was very clean, with excellent daily maid service. We enjoyed having an efficiency kitchen with a full size coffee pot. Beds were comfortable and I slept very well, even with my little granddaughter. Our room was 1111 and opened onto the pool area which was very convenient for the kiddies. This is not a resort and does not claim to be. Just a basic, clean, affordable motel for adults and families traveling to Myrtle Beach. We had a great stay and were very pleased with the staff and accommodations.

Room Tip: Oceanfront, anywhere, is always great. But an upper level side view room at the Gazebo Inn facing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you ladies for such a rave review! I also really appreciate you mentioning our great housekeeping staff. Those girls are by far the hardest working women on the beach, and they truly keep this place as clean as a whistle. I am so happy to hear that you girls found our little joint to be such a great deal, and that the location worked out so well for you. We really enjoyed having you as our guests, and we are looking forward to your next visit to the beach. You were lots of fun and we hope to see you again very soon~

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I checked in on August 25, and we stayed five nights. It's was so comfortable and the room was cleaned everyday by kind and respectful ladies. We stayed in room 1412 and it was perfect. The hotel staff were very nice and we enjoyed our stay at the Gazebo inn very much!!! Thank you Julie and staff!!!!

gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi Girls! Thank you so much for the lovely review. I especially appreciate you mentioning how pleased you were with the housekeepers and the way that they kept your room, as well as how you found the rest of our staff to be so helpful and friendly. I am happy to say that our housekeeping staff was just awarded the "Gold Star of Excellence Award" for the second year in a row. This award is presented by the Myrtle Beach Area Hospitality Association to properties with excellent ratings, and is truly an honor for these hard working ladies to receive. I would also like to thank you for your business, as well as for your promise to return to the Gazebo the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area. We appreciate that very much, and we are looking forward to seeing you again hopefully in the near future.

Warmest Regards,
Julie

Been to Gazebo Inn? Share your experiences!