“GREAT HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Hagerstown, Maryland
“GREAT HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Aug. 18- 23 in room 1511. I don't know what the other reviews are talking about. The room we had was very clean and was kept that way by Angela as a matter of fact she even cleaned the toilet every day.My wife was so happy with the way she kept the room she gave her a nice tip when we checked out, and I know for a fact that at least 5 other rooms checking out at the same time gave her a tip, because we had to wait to talk to her. You can believe the couple of bad reviews from people that don't even carry id's on them or you can stay at a very nice hotel. All I can tell you is we had a great vacation with friendly hotel staff and owners. A clean room and no noise from other rooms. We will be back next year. THANKS FOR A GREAT STAY...JEFF AND JOAN

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have great views.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for such a great review guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to give other travelers some positive feed back about your stay with us at the Gazebo. Everyone here works really hard to make sure that our guests have a clean and comfortable property to enjoy while at the same time not breaking the bank. It is also so nice when a guest recognizes our houskeepers too. Angie does do a great job, as do our other hard working ladies. Without them, the place just wouldn't be the same. I also realize that you just can't make some people happy not matter what. As you mentioned in your review sadly so often those are the people that will post some pretty crazy things in an effort to hurt a business for whatever reason. Kind of like a "get even" factor. I am so thankful that we have had so many happy guests this summer that took the time to post the positive. Most people realize that the majority is where the truth can be found. Folks like you are the bread and butter of this business, especially for the small "Mom and Pop" properties. We would not stay in business if it wasn't for our repeats guests and their referals. Thanks you so much for both. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future at the Gazebo!

Regards,
Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and our 2 young kids stayed Aug 18-25. I checked in and the lady at the front desk was super nice(sorry I don't remember her name, she has black hair, I want to say Julie but I'm probably wrong). We were in room 1309 and we had ocean view. The view was amazing! We didn't have any hotel blocking our view. Bobbi was our housekeeper and she was so sweet! I don't think I've ever met a housekeeper as nice as her. Our room had a kitchenette and 2 double beds. It was perfect for us, no complaints about anything. The value is amazing and we are definitely staying next year. Can't wait to see everyone next year! :)

• Stayed August 2013
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you fofr such a nice review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and that Bobbi took such good care of you. She does do an excellent job. We have an awesome crew here and that does make all the difference in the world. 1309 is a neat room too. I think that most folks are surprised at how great the view is from our side rooms. We really do have a very unique spot and it always makes me happy when people enjoy it. Thank you so much for your business. We truly appreciate you and your family and we are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the beach!

Sanford, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I come to the beach for ouur anniversary every year and we stay at the Gazebo Inn. We love room 1315. It is a perfect size room with a larger fridge than other motels. The rocking chairs on the balcony are great for sitting and watching the ocean. I love the way the room is decorated. The whole building is kept clean and the pool was cleaned daily. Bobbie was our housekeeper and she was a super sweet lady who did a great job. We have never had any problems with rudeness from any staff member. One of the best things about the Gazebo Inn is how it is family oriented so there is no loud partying or obnoxious guests. We also like that we can park the car and walk everywhere. We will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: Pick the king size ocean front room. You wont be disappointed.
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice review. We really appreciate it. I am so happy that you liked the rocking chairs that we added this year too. Mom really wanted to those, and our guests seem to be enjoying them quite a bit. We try very hard to offer a quaint lodging experience to our guests along with friendly service. Each room has it's own charm and kind of reminds most people of a good old fashioned beach house. Nothing fancy, but clean, comfy, and priced right. I think we are a pretty good fit for folks that do not want to spend their vacation lost in a huge resort at a much higher price. We are so glad that you feel that way about us and that you continue to return year after year like an old friend. There is nothing better than that. Thank you so much for your loyal business. We hope to see you back at the beach in the very near future!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed 18th of aug thru 23rd of aug. what a difference the old owners have made. Julie ,roxanne, our housekeeper Bobbi were all xtremly friendly and willing to help.
the room 1315 was clean safe,and updated and confy.poolarea was cleaned daily,kept up. We will rebook for our vacations. We are Daniel,Karen gazdag of va beach va

Room Tip: Book early
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi Guys! Sorry for the delayed response to such an awesome review. We were very fortunate to have an extremely busy finish to the summer season, so I am just now getting the time to catch up on some things. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Gazebo Inn with other travelers. We had a lot of work to do around here after we took the hotel back over a couple of years ago, so it is nice to hear that our efforts are paying off. We are not a fancy place, but we work hard to offer clean and comfy rooms at a very reasonable rate in a family friendly environment. It makes me very happy to hear that we succeeded in doing so with you and your family. I would like to thank you once again for your business, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed the week of 8/11/13....long ride from Philadelphia...arrived early, around 12:30 PM, much to our surprise the room was ready and we were checked in and at the pool by 1:00! Staff was extremely accomodating....our housekeeper Bobby was a pleasure room was cleaned everyday of our stay by 10:00am. Had a side view room...awsome view (except for the motel next door but don't look at it you are not staying there!)....on our next visit we will opt for the Oceanfront but the side view was great. If you are thinking of staying at the Gazebo please ignor the negative reviews....focus on the positive they are the most accurate! Great motel for the price! Great stay, great location, great staff really enjoyed our stay and will certainly be returning next year!

Room Tip: I would say pay the extra for the Ocean Front....Ocean View is good but would recommend going with t...
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Hi guys! We love our fans, and especially when they are from Philly. Thanks for the great review. It is really nice to have so many of our fun guest take the time to write about their positive experience with us, and I really appreciate the fact that you acknowledge some of the key features that we as a family try to focus on. We are not a big and fancy "resort", however we try very hard to offer the special kind of individual one on one service that they cannot. We are often told by some of our repeat guests that they feel like they are "coming home" or "staying with an "old friend" when they come to the Gazebo and it just doesn't get any better than that. We appreciate your business very much, and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. Thanks again! We hope that you will choose to stay with us once again the next time you are in the Myrtle Beach area.

Regards,
Ravenswood, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here with my friends for my best friend's birthday. If you've read the comments below, you understand that we had a serious issue. Authorization or not, my friend's card was run two times, which left us with almost no money. Julie said that she would accept a $25 "deposit" because it was all we could afford. YES, that was all we could afford because of her employee's mistake. She accused us of checking in late, when we arrived a little after 5 pm. We were in bed no later than 11. It's hard to party when you're asleep. She accused us of leaving the room dirty, though it could be argued that we left it cleaner than it was when we arrived. We paid $104 for a non-ocean view room with not enough towels for all of us. When I asked the maid for more towels, she told me she would bring them by later, though she literally had a cart full of towels in front of her. This hotel is not clean and certainly not friendly, and if we could have gotten a refund (the bank informed Julie it would take 3-4 days to reverse the charges) we would have gladly stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
For the other travelers reading this review, please refer to my responses to the same group from West Virginia that were posted beginning on August the 18th. These people did not meet our age requirements, disturbed other guests in the hotel, and contrary to what is posted here their credit card was only charged once not twice. The only thing that that we did wrong here was give them a break and make an exception to the age policy, allowing them to stay at the low family rates that they were quoted with a ridiculously small $25 security deposit. I am not going to continue to respond to the same issue multiple times, so please refer the other posts for details.

Ripley, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend, who also wrote a review that Julie, the hotel owner responded to below. She has tried to make it look like we were in the office for some other reason than my girlfriend's card being charged twice, which is a complete lie. The only reason we EVER had any contact with the manager was to fix the problem, at which time she took it upon herself to decide we needed kicked out. We DID pay for every person in our room, an extra $10 each, and have the receipt to prove it. There were no complaints made about us. The man who gave us the money for the deposit back DID state that it should have not been charged because we were not in a kitchen room. We left our room clean, towels in the bathroom, all trash in a trash bag. The staff here's lack of respect for their guests is completely ridiculous and made the girls I was with unable to enjoy their vacation, which was for my girlfriend's birthday. The rooms are not secure. I would not suggest that anyone stay here due to the lack of professionalism and the fact that the maids think it is okay to just walk into your room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
The multiple reviews posted by your group and the ridiculous accusations made within them are a perfect example of why we have an age policy. For the sake of clarification for the other travelers that may be reading these reviews, I will respond one last time to the highlighted points that you have made in them.

As you just mentioned in your review, you were here to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday and celebrate you did. You checked in late at night, and by morning I had several complaints about the noise. When I called you all to the office to discuss the complaints, it was obvious that three out of the four of you were not 25. When I asked you for ID's I was told that only two of you had them and that the other two and left their ID's at home. Everyone in the group was extremely disrespectful except for the one person that was actually over 25. In fact if it wasn’t for her apologizing for everyone else’s behavior I would have insisted on giving you the refund for the remaining balance of your stay and asked you to leave. Unfortunately based upon her assurance that I would have no addional problems from you and the fact that there were no other vacancies in the area, I agreed to make an acceptation to our age policy and give you a second chance. This turned out to be a big mistake and one that I promise you I will not make again. Of course I didn’t have any additional problems with your group until you checked out. You were smart enough to realize that if you were lucky enough to find another property that would rent to people under 21 WITHOUT ID’s that it certainly would not be for such a low rate and definitely not without a much larger security deposit (average security deposits are $100 per person).

The $25.00 deposit that you are speaking of was a SECURITY deposit NOT a kitchen deposit. Anyone that has stayed in Myrtle Beach and has had to pay a security deposit before will tell you that is an EXTREMELY LOW amount for a deposit. I accepted it because that was all that you could afford. The SECURITY deposit was refunded back to you the night before you left because you said you needed gas money. Again, this turned out to be a mistake as the room was NOT left in good condition as you claim it was, and it took the housekeeper much longer to clean it then it would for an average checkout.

The claim that your girlfriends card was CHARGED twice is also false. Her card was AUTHORIZED when the reservation was made, then CHARGED once for the balance at check-in. Her banker verified this with her over the phone. Because you were traveling with limited funds, I again took time out of a very busy day to call your girlfriend’s banker. I did not tell her banker anything other than the fact that she was very upset and asked if she could please do whatever she could to expedite the release of the authorization. Her banker was very helpful and said that she would process the release immediately.

In closing I would once again like to stress to other travelers that we are a family owned and operated hotel that caters to families and couple only. Singles have to be 25 years of age or older only and this perfect example of why. We offer very clean and cozy rooms in a safe and friendly environment at a very reasonable price. We work very hard to make sure that everyone is able to enjoy their stay while there are here, which sometimes means having to upset those that are disturbing others as was the case here. I will certainly think twice before bending the rules in the future.

Julie

Been to Gazebo Inn? Share your experiences!