“Low Value at a High Rate” 1 of 5 stars

Gazebo Inn
1607 South Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #49 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ravenswood, West Virginia
“Low Value at a High Rate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here with my friends for my best friend's birthday. If you've read the comments below, you understand that we had a serious issue. Authorization or not, my friend's card was run two times, which left us with almost no money. Julie said that she would accept a $25 "deposit" because it was all we could afford. YES, that was all we could afford because of her employee's mistake. She accused us of checking in late, when we arrived a little after 5 pm. We were in bed no later than 11. It's hard to party when you're asleep. She accused us of leaving the room dirty, though it could be argued that we left it cleaner than it was when we arrived. We paid $104 for a non-ocean view room with not enough towels for all of us. When I asked the maid for more towels, she told me she would bring them by later, though she literally had a cart full of towels in front of her. This hotel is not clean and certainly not friendly, and if we could have gotten a refund (the bank informed Julie it would take 3-4 days to reverse the charges) we would have gladly stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
For the other travelers reading this review, please refer to my responses to the same group from West Virginia that were posted beginning on August the 18th. These people did not meet our age requirements, disturbed other guests in the hotel, and contrary to what is posted here their credit card was only charged once not twice. The only thing that that we did wrong here was give them a break and make an exception to the age policy, allowing them to stay at the low family rates that they were quoted with a ridiculously small $25 security deposit. I am not going to continue to respond to the same issue multiple times, so please refer the other posts for details.

Julie

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ripley, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend, who also wrote a review that Julie, the hotel owner responded to below. She has tried to make it look like we were in the office for some other reason than my girlfriend's card being charged twice, which is a complete lie. The only reason we EVER had any contact with the manager was to fix the problem, at which time she took it upon herself to decide we needed kicked out. We DID pay for every person in our room, an extra $10 each, and have the receipt to prove it. There were no complaints made about us. The man who gave us the money for the deposit back DID state that it should have not been charged because we were not in a kitchen room. We left our room clean, towels in the bathroom, all trash in a trash bag. The staff here's lack of respect for their guests is completely ridiculous and made the girls I was with unable to enjoy their vacation, which was for my girlfriend's birthday. The rooms are not secure. I would not suggest that anyone stay here due to the lack of professionalism and the fact that the maids think it is okay to just walk into your room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
The multiple reviews posted by your group and the ridiculous accusations made within them are a perfect example of why we have an age policy. For the sake of clarification for the other travelers that may be reading these reviews, I will respond one last time to the highlighted points that you have made in them.

As you just mentioned in your review, you were here to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday and celebrate you did. You checked in late at night, and by morning I had several complaints about the noise. When I called you all to the office to discuss the complaints, it was obvious that three out of the four of you were not 25. When I asked you for ID's I was told that only two of you had them and that the other two and left their ID's at home. Everyone in the group was extremely disrespectful except for the one person that was actually over 25. In fact if it wasn’t for her apologizing for everyone else’s behavior I would have insisted on giving you the refund for the remaining balance of your stay and asked you to leave. Unfortunately based upon her assurance that I would have no addional problems from you and the fact that there were no other vacancies in the area, I agreed to make an acceptation to our age policy and give you a second chance. This turned out to be a big mistake and one that I promise you I will not make again. Of course I didn’t have any additional problems with your group until you checked out. You were smart enough to realize that if you were lucky enough to find another property that would rent to people under 21 WITHOUT ID’s that it certainly would not be for such a low rate and definitely not without a much larger security deposit (average security deposits are $100 per person).

The $25.00 deposit that you are speaking of was a SECURITY deposit NOT a kitchen deposit. Anyone that has stayed in Myrtle Beach and has had to pay a security deposit before will tell you that is an EXTREMELY LOW amount for a deposit. I accepted it because that was all that you could afford. The SECURITY deposit was refunded back to you the night before you left because you said you needed gas money. Again, this turned out to be a mistake as the room was NOT left in good condition as you claim it was, and it took the housekeeper much longer to clean it then it would for an average checkout.

The claim that your girlfriends card was CHARGED twice is also false. Her card was AUTHORIZED when the reservation was made, then CHARGED once for the balance at check-in. Her banker verified this with her over the phone. Because you were traveling with limited funds, I again took time out of a very busy day to call your girlfriend’s banker. I did not tell her banker anything other than the fact that she was very upset and asked if she could please do whatever she could to expedite the release of the authorization. Her banker was very helpful and said that she would process the release immediately.

In closing I would once again like to stress to other travelers that we are a family owned and operated hotel that caters to families and couple only. Singles have to be 25 years of age or older only and this perfect example of why. We offer very clean and cozy rooms in a safe and friendly environment at a very reasonable price. We work very hard to make sure that everyone is able to enjoy their stay while there are here, which sometimes means having to upset those that are disturbing others as was the case here. I will certainly think twice before bending the rules in the future.

Julie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

After reading great reviews me and my daughters decided to stay here.... I loved it, we arrived late Sunday night from a long day of flying. We were greeted by a nice staff. I loved the room and the closeness to the downtown. Our room was cleaned daily and the cleaning ladies were very friendly.
We really enjoyed our stay and plan to make this our summer retreat from now on.

• Stayed August 2013
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have been coming to MB since the early 70`s with my parents and we always stayed at Catoe Villa. When I married my wife we continued to stay at Catoe untill it was sold and torn down in 2004 for one of those high price resorts. I was lucky enough to find another hotel that has the same high standards that I was use to staying at, and that was the Gazebo Inn. This is a family owned motel who goes out of their way to provide a quite, clean, place to stay at a low rate. Regardless of some of the reviews that you might read, I know for a fact that the rooms are cleaned daily, along with the pool and hot tub also being cleaned and water levels checked. The house keeping staff goes out of their way to make sure everything is right. The new WIFI system is excellent and I had no problems with connections. and Parking is ot that big of a problem.
To the owners of Gazebo, thank you for everything that you do to keep this great place up and running,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We are travelling as a group from Canada and we were looking for beachfront property that is not very pricey in Myrtle beach. All rooms of this motel has a balcony which give you a view of the beach from your room. You get a basic room not very big, but clean. You can get with kitchen and without kitchen. Everyday housekeeping and staff are friendly.
You have easy acess to the beach from the back, and this has swimming pool and hot tub. For the price we paid, we are very happy. Thank you staff and management !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

So happy to find this hotel. Can not beat the price for beach front hotel. The room is decent. There were a couple of issues during our stay, but the staff was prompt in addressing the issues. At one point, the elevator broke down, but was quickly fixed. I put a load of clothing in the washer and the washer overflowed. The man that was fixing the problem refunded me the money I put in and even put my beach towels in their industrial dryer. The woman at the front desk always had a welcome smile and even suggested a few restaurants nearby. The neighborhood was just outside downtown, about a mile. Far enough to not deal with traffic, but close enough that we were able to quickly get where we wanted to go. It's nothing fancy, but was perfect for my kids! I will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013
Flowery Branch, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

this is a very nice place to stay while you in mrytle beach,they clean the rooms every day &they staff are very nice,the rates are very good,its right in the middle of the strip ,its very close to the ocean,its a very clean place,in all its a very good place to stay,oh ya their son serived our great country,his pictures are on all the walls ,they are very interesting,so if your at mrytle beach give them a try !

Been to Gazebo Inn? Share your experiences!