“Stay away” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Oakville
“Stay away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Nice location but that is about it and a total rip off. We are in corner suite ocean view paid top dollar. Nice view of parking lot and can hear cleaning staff wheeling around linens etc. First full day today and room not even cleaned. They then brought us 3 towels for a 6 person suite. Shower would not shut off so have had maintenance here and his comment was this is common. Manager (Adam) could care less apparently tmrw we will get VIP service ..... which I think means actually clean towels. Don't pay more for a nicer room. We are paying $500 a night :-). Could be nice but rolling the dice. service and view is very very poor and we don't expect much.
This is our first poor review on trip advisor. Will post pics as well that show reality of this place. Stay away from room 151 unless you like to pay a lot to see cars ;-)

3,262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife, my 4 year old daughter, and myself recently stayed at Dunes Village Resort. We were 98% satisfied with our stay.

Positives:
1. Check in was quick and easy. A little hectic parking, but we arrived at 4:30 pm and many families were arriving. Plenty of luggage carts were available.
2. Very kid friendly. Daily activities for kids. My daughters favorite was the glow dance party on the Palmetto lawn. She had a blast!
3. Valet service. All the valet attendants were professional, friendly, courteous, hard working, and personable. Best valet service I have experienced. Call the front desk about 10 minutes before you want to leave and your car will always be ready.
4. Room. We had an oceanfront queen suite. It was updated, fairly clean( we found soda bottle, old wrist bands, and a pair of broken headphones under a chair and night stand from previous guests and the outdoor furniture was dirty) . Very spacious for the three of us. Maid service was very good. The view of the ocean was awesome. Beds were comfortable.
5. Admirals Room Restaurant. We ate there twice and the food was delicious both visits.
6. The beach. We spent 6 days there. Easy access. We rented an umbrella and 2 lounge chairs. $35 a day but if you rent for several days you get a discount. My whole family loved the beach, especially my 4 year old daughter.

Negatives:

1. On the evening of 7/19, the bartender at the tiki bar was extremely drunk. He was out of control, unprofessional, forgetful, and he was flirting with the women. The drinks he made were terrible. I never went to the tiki bar again on our vacation because of this experience.

2. On 7/25, my daughter and I were swimming at the Palms.
indoor pool. One of the pool attendants took both of our dry towels that were on our chair. I told the young man that those were our towels , and he told us there were more over on the dry towel rack and he proceeded to walk away. Very rude.

Raeford, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great place to stay.We have been here the last 5 years. We had a wonderful vacation..Outstanding resort..All the staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful..Would recommend this resort to friends and family..

Swedesboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family and I had such a nice time! The rooms were immaculate as well as the play and pool areas. The staff were so polite, informative and always with a smile. This was our first time in Myrtle Beach and we had such a great time we didn't want to come home. We loved the location as well. It was centrally located to the local attractions and literally you walk off the hotel property and you were on the beach! With two children and all of their things close proximity to the beach is a must! We can't wait to go back!!!

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Clean spacious room, comfortable beds, indoor & outdoor pools/slides/"lazy rivers", convenience of location & amenities is unbeatable. For years, we've been staying here every time we visit MB and we will continue to stay here on future visits.

Room Tip: Spend the little extra for the ocean view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Great place to stay. Lots of fun things to do. Very family friendly. Kids enjoyed it very much. Beautiful beach front property. Outstanding hotel resort. All the staff are courteous and friendly. Special shout out to Joe the bartender at the Tiki Bar. Would recommend this resort to all my friends. Wonderful place to stay. No shortage of things to do. Also very nice that the beach had its own lifeguards. Didn't see that at other resorts. Outstanding.
I would highly recommend The Dunes to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Myrtle Beach

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just got back home from a weeklong stay at Dunes Village. The overall experience this week was amazing. The whole family had an amazing time (two adults and two 8 year olds.)

The whole check in process was a breeze. It was nice to be greeted as soon as we pulled up with someone willing to help us out and direct us as to what we needed to do. Plenty of room to park and unload and at no point did we feel we were rushed and not to mention we were a few hours early to our check in time. Walked right in and was greeted with a huge smile at the front desk and quickly checked in and was informed our room was in fact already ready. I know some people have mentioned in previous reviews about the wait time for the elevators, I can honestly say they only time we really waiting any length of time for the elevator was that first time going up to our room (which can be expected as a lot of people were checking in about the same time we were.) It wasn’t a long wait either, but just a tab bit more than normal I think. This didn’t bother us at all. After we checked in and unloaded in our room (will talk about the room later) I was given directions to the parking garage. It is across the street like many have stated and just slightly down the street from the tower we were staying in. If you are staying in the other tower it is directly across the street. I will say the parking garage is very nice and actually spacious compared to what others have said. Only once during our stay did we have to park on the top floor and that was only because we were not getting back till after 11PM. Getting in and out was a breeze and never did I feel unsafe like some other people have posted. Would it be nice if the parking situation was attached to the actual hotel, sure but I understand why it’s not that way.

Onto the room. The room is for the most part very spacious. The only part that seems a little cramped is the entry way seeing how the kitchenette, bathroom, and door are all right there. Didn’t bother us, but I can see where that may be a slight inconvenience for some. Having the full size fridge was very helpful. The room and bathroom were very clean and the décor seemed to be on par with other hotels in the area. Is the décor up to 2014? No, but then again why do people really care, if you are coming to the beach for an up to date decorated room then you are coming for the wrong reason if you ask me. I didn’t think I was in the 70s or 80s when sitting in my room and looking at the walls or window dressings. The beds were fairly comfortable, more firm than I am used to at home, but comfortable nonetheless. The “sitting area” was nice and is where my two daughters ate most of their lunches. My wife and I on the other hand ate most of our lunches on their very nice balcony overlooking the ocean. So overall the room was great. The only thing that didn’t work was one of the burners on the stove, which wasn’t really all that big of a deal. Probably could have called and had someone come up and look at it and fix it, but it really wasn’t worth the time. Very pleased with the room.

As for the hotel amenities what more could you really ask for in a beach front hotel. A couple different restaurants on site and even a Starbucks. We visited both restaurants and can say the food at The Captain’s Café was great, the service was a little lacking though. We overheard one of the servers say that it was due to a shift change which very well could have been but it really could have been a lot better. On the other hand was the Admirals Room for breakfast, the food was lacking a little but the service was excellent. It wasn’t that the food was bad, it just wasn’t really anything to write home about. The pools and indoor water parks were great. Very clean. Saw the pools being cleaned every morning and even the temperature and pH checked periodically throughout the day. Nice to see them staying on top of things like that. The staff at the pools were great too and the pools side bars were a nice place to get a cold drink or some snacks for the kids. My kids didn’t participate in any of the daily kids activities, not because they didn’t look exciting or anything but mainly because we just did our own thing. If you are coming with just one kid though it may be something to look into to keep the occupied for a little while and allow them to have fun with some other kids.

So as you can tell the family and I had a great time at Dunes. Other than the couple slight “hiccups” that occurred the overall stay was a 10 out of 10. We wouldn’t hesitate to come back and visit this resort again and hope to as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Try if at all possible to get a room that is maybe on the 4th floor or higher. We were on the 8th a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Dunes Village Resort? Share your experiences!