Room & Staff
We arrived after check-in, and found our room wasn't ready yet, but that lasted only a moment. We found out we were upgraded from a two to three bedroom suite...and the room was huge. It actually took measurable time to walk from one end to the other. We had reserved an ocean view, and we got that from every balcony, as well as a fun view of the main boardwalk (and occasional fireworks).
The room was very comfortable for the most part. It was a little lived-in, but had all the amenities of home. It was more like a condo away from home than a pristine hotel room. The only downside was the room was a little damp at all time, but I'm sure that had everything to do with being so close to the ocean and SC humidity.
The staff was excellent, and even just passing housekeeping staff earned you a genuine smile and hello. We had some rowdy people check in below us, but a simple call to the desk not only had it fixed in 5min, but it was never a problem again. Housekeeping did a great job at keeping up with us.
Only minor complaints, which I would barely call them. One was the fact they mention you can get free shows on check-in, but this is bait for sitting through a sales pitch for buying or time-sharing a unit. No hard-sale in trying to get you to go, though, which we appreciated. We also found a charge from the bar on our bill that wasn't ours (it overlapped with our check-in, so maybe the last family leaving having one more visit). It was fixed with little debate, but I felt just a little uncomfortable having to deal with it.
Some people mention the parking, which is a garage across the street. It wasn't a big deal to have to walk over to it to go places, and we were thankful they had parking to offer. I will say for a newer garage, it seemed like it was designed by the people who design airplane seating. The spaces were a little tight (esp since most people had SUVs), as well as the corners to go up & down. They were also square and not curved, like the whole thing was designed fro Tron motorcycles to race through. It also wouldn't hurt to add some mirrors, as entering every level seemed like a blind turn.
If you're into the boardwalk, it won't be a fit for you. After being there with our family for a day, that turned out to be the best thing for us. While there's plenty to do there, the beach is much more crowned, and there a lot of HS and college kids having fun. The hotel's location about 3-5mi up the road was perfect. It was quiet, the beach was clean and with plenty of space, and everything is well-kept.
You will have problems without a car, though. We didn't try the on-site dining, and if you have no car (and little will for long walks on a busy road nearby), you will be stuck. We were able to drive places, and there was plenty to be had in within 5-10min. Bring your review apps for dining/activities, as there are a lot (good and bad).
For a family, it's a perfect place and location. The indoor waterpark is a nice touch. Don't expect a Great Wolf setup, but the kids requested going there as often as the beach, so it's a hit with the people who get the most out of it. It's a nice thing to have in your back pocket for the occasional rain storm.
For us--a family with kids under 10--it was a perfect stay and place for us. The kids had a memorable time, and we came away without feeling run-down from chasing activities or fretting details. They give you plenty to do and space to do it in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chosen as one of the WORLD'S top 1% of Hotels by Expedia Insider's Select 2008 and Voted #2 in Family Hotels in the UNITED STATES by Travelers Choice Awards, Dunes Village is home of the area’s only indoor water parks; 30,000 square feet of water fun! 4 adult-size waterslides, water basketball, lazy rivers, kiddie pools, mushroom waterfalls and the list goes on. Tennis buffs stay limber on the tennis court and basketball fans shoot hoops on the basketball court. Children enjoy the year-round supervised activity program, giving parents an opportunity to sit back and relax knowing the kiddies are having fun of their own. Dine in one of the 2 onsite restaurants or sip a cup of coffee from Seattle’s Best Coffee. At the end of the day, our spacious studios, suites and condos are the perfect ending to a great day at this award winning resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with AAA Travel Services, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Dunes Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dunes Village Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Dunes Village Myrtle Beach
- Dunes Village Resort Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach Dunes Village Resort
- Dunes Village Resort Motel