“Big room and accomodating staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Greenbelt, Maryland
“Big room and accomodating staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Room & Staff

We arrived after check-in, and found our room wasn't ready yet, but that lasted only a moment. We found out we were upgraded from a two to three bedroom suite...and the room was huge. It actually took measurable time to walk from one end to the other. We had reserved an ocean view, and we got that from every balcony, as well as a fun view of the main boardwalk (and occasional fireworks).

The room was very comfortable for the most part. It was a little lived-in, but had all the amenities of home. It was more like a condo away from home than a pristine hotel room. The only downside was the room was a little damp at all time, but I'm sure that had everything to do with being so close to the ocean and SC humidity.

The staff was excellent, and even just passing housekeeping staff earned you a genuine smile and hello. We had some rowdy people check in below us, but a simple call to the desk not only had it fixed in 5min, but it was never a problem again. Housekeeping did a great job at keeping up with us.

Complaints

Only minor complaints, which I would barely call them. One was the fact they mention you can get free shows on check-in, but this is bait for sitting through a sales pitch for buying or time-sharing a unit. No hard-sale in trying to get you to go, though, which we appreciated. We also found a charge from the bar on our bill that wasn't ours (it overlapped with our check-in, so maybe the last family leaving having one more visit). It was fixed with little debate, but I felt just a little uncomfortable having to deal with it.

Parking

Some people mention the parking, which is a garage across the street. It wasn't a big deal to have to walk over to it to go places, and we were thankful they had parking to offer. I will say for a newer garage, it seemed like it was designed by the people who design airplane seating. The spaces were a little tight (esp since most people had SUVs), as well as the corners to go up & down. They were also square and not curved, like the whole thing was designed fro Tron motorcycles to race through. It also wouldn't hurt to add some mirrors, as entering every level seemed like a blind turn.

Location

If you're into the boardwalk, it won't be a fit for you. After being there with our family for a day, that turned out to be the best thing for us. While there's plenty to do there, the beach is much more crowned, and there a lot of HS and college kids having fun. The hotel's location about 3-5mi up the road was perfect. It was quiet, the beach was clean and with plenty of space, and everything is well-kept.

You will have problems without a car, though. We didn't try the on-site dining, and if you have no car (and little will for long walks on a busy road nearby), you will be stuck. We were able to drive places, and there was plenty to be had in within 5-10min. Bring your review apps for dining/activities, as there are a lot (good and bad).

Overall

For a family, it's a perfect place and location. The indoor waterpark is a nice touch. Don't expect a Great Wolf setup, but the kids requested going there as often as the beach, so it's a hit with the people who get the most out of it. It's a nice thing to have in your back pocket for the occasional rain storm.

For us--a family with kids under 10--it was a perfect stay and place for us. The kids had a memorable time, and we came away without feeling run-down from chasing activities or fretting details. They give you plenty to do and space to do it in.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor, and the ocean front view is exactly what it says.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer such a detailed review of Dunes Village Resort. You offered so much information that I have nothing to add, except that I hope to see you back here soon.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us! Come again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just got back from our first family trip to Myrtle Beach. We had a great stay at Dunes Village. The indoor water park was a big hit with our 7 yr old son. Also, the hotel is in a nice, quieter location. I didn't appreciate this until I was in MB and saw what the downtown area is like (noise, cars, crowds, etc.). It's still very well located, though. We ate breakfast in the Admiral's Room every morning, and it was a nice buffet. The check-in system is a little overwhelming, but that may just be because I am not sure how MB "works". We didn't bring a ton of stuff, but there were lots of people who did and unloading seemed like a nightmare. There were people to help, but they were VERY busy. Again, this may just be "how it's done" and I'm not used to it. Overall, it was a terrific experience; one we'll not soon forget. On the last morning our boy declared he was, in fact, not going home with us and was going to stay at the Dunes Village. I guess you can't be more highly recommended than that!

Room Tip: I wouldn't want a first or second floor room--it might be too noisy.
Dear Mom,

I am still having a great time. The staff is taking great care of me. The water parks are great, and the activities are super-fun! I wish you would come back and see me soon. I miss you.

With Love,

your son
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

When we began staying at Dunes annually some 3 years ago, it was an impressive place. Today, housekeeping is failing to clean properly, including all mold and mildew removed around sinks and showers. In addition, the rooms are showing wear and tear, in need of deep cleaning, and replacement of sagging sofas and beds. Hopefully they'll get these issues corrected, because my kids LOVE the indoor waterparks and we'd like to continue as return guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate the feedback, and have every intention of impressing you on your next vacation with the sparkling clean resort you have always known. We are in the process of re-training some of our staff on the best way to effectively clean a room, and our newer staff is really taking to the process well.

We are grateful for your candor, and look forward to seeing you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed our stay my nine year old girl really loved the water park can't really complain about anything even though a tropical storm came through we still had something to do it does need a update on furnishings but all in all I'd recommend it to anyone with kids

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate the kind words!
We are in the process of making a few changes in the rooms, some with new carpets and some with new refrigertaors. Next time you come, you will see some of the renovations being done in the rooms.

We hope to see you back here again soon. Thanks again for staying with us!
Concord, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Arrived to find ice maker in room not working, lamps burned out, outside lights didn't work. Housekeeping/maintenance came to fix items but on vacation, I don't want to have to call to get things done. The details were definitely ignored this time, big disappointment. Another day, Housekeeping came by and left towels but didn't make the beds, the kitchen was inadequate with only two pots - NO PANS for cooking. We stay at the Dunes at least twice every summer and have always enjoyed it. We will return in July and if the details aren't attended to better, we may not go back. Otherwise, love everything about the Dunes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid review of Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate you giving us another chance, as we hate to lose a guest over things we can control.

I assure you that your next trip will be the Dunes Village Resort experience you have come to know and love. Please come see me personally if you have any concerns while you are here so that I may address them immediately.

Cari Garvey
Guest Service Manager
Jacksboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I love the Dunes. Such a nice place to stay. We only had one slight problem. We had to wash everything in the kitchen. (Room 1208 Palmetto tower). EVERYTHING. It was dirty and trash was left in the cabinet above refrigerator and got no maid service our last day? Not sure what happened. Had to call twice to get fresh towels. Never happened to us before there. I had even left a daily tip. But, we enjoyed our stay. Nice pools and water park. Staff was nice and friendly. Easy check in and out. More expensive than other hotels but worth it. I just hope they get better help service and the hotel doesn't go down. Overall a great place to stay that's why I gave it an excellent rating. Although, I had to be honest about the service. Love the Dunes!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
And the Dunes loves YOU! We appreciate the excellent rating, in spite of our shortcomings. We try very hard to take care of our guests to the fulles extent of our ability. I am sorry we missed a few things in your room, but am thrilled to hear that it did not deter you from the love you still gave us!

Dunes Village Resort appreciates you, and yuor 5 star rating, and we promise to make it a perfect stay next time. That is a Cari Guarantee! Cal me when you are making your next plans, and I will personally make sure your room is PERFECT! Hope to see you soon!
Conifer
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was the first time that we stayed at the Dunes. The room was good size;however, I found the bathroom and parts of the room to be dirty, whoever painted the room last time slopped the paint on and it looked terrible, and there was rust on the refrigerator and stove. I stay 60 to 70 nights per year in hotels and hope are room isn't indicative of all the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Dunes Village Resort. I would like to personally apologize for the condition of your room. Generally speaking, our rooms are in great shape, as you can see from other posts. Sometimes we fall short, as it seems in your case, and we appreciate the feedback that allows us to improve our service. Thanks for considering giving us another chance. We will see you soon, I hope!

Been to Dunes Village Resort? Share your experiences!