“Great family spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Georgia
“Great family spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My three girls and I stayed here for spring break. We asked for a higher room in the Palmetto tower, and that is exactly what we received. The view is awesome. We had a queen suite and everyone was able to have their own bed (using the pull down and sleeper sofa). The kitchen was well stocked.

This place has valet parking which was really good for me after grocery shopping. The parking deck is located across the street, just like many other Myrtle Beach hotels. My only complaint is that it appeared as if there was on one or two people working and sometimes it took long.

I didn't like any of the restaurants. Breakfast was just OK, but I enjoyed Friendly's breakfast better (down the street). Dinner was barely OK and it took a long time. After those experiences we went to the Food Lion and cooked in the room the remainder of the trip.

The water parks were cool, but really crowded. By the evening time the smell of chlorine was overpowering, so we chose to visit in the morning. We were there during a cold spell so traveling between the two buildings to visit both water parks was rough. It would be nice if they could have an adjoining tunnel so that you don't have to go outside in the cold when you are wet.

I would recommend this place for families. There are kids everywhere. I wouldn't come here with just adults. I'm not sure if I will come back during a busy time of year because of how crowded the parks were. This place is probably heaven during the off-season when most kids are still in school.

Room Tip: ocean front is a must.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort. We get a lot of requests for a tunnel or covered walkway between the 2 bulidings that encompass our resort, and I am sorry to say that we do not own the property in between our buildings. The parking area is owned by the city of Myrtle Beach, so we cannot build anything on it. If we ever acquire that property, we will definitely work on some sort of passage for our guests.

Summer time may seem like it would be really crowded, but because of all there is to do outside in the summer, the water parks and pool decks are not very crowded at all!

We hope you and your family get back here soon to continue enjoying all we have to offer!

3,262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Lumberton, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Dunes Resort was a very nice place to stay, went there for our Honeymoon there. The only thing I didnt like is they had no wireless...I could not research anything to do...could not email:( They said time and time they would fix it and never did:( The thing I did like is the hotel restaurant was the best:) We went to have dinner and we told them we were JUST MARRIED and they gave us free Champagne...they took a beach bucket filled it ice and wrote "Just Married" on it..we took it straight back to the room and chilled on the balcony with our great view of the ocean..this was AWESOME:) We very much enjoyed the water slides, and them being inside worked great, because it was still cold. The hot tub felt sooo good at night in the cold...it was romantic:) Overall I would say my stay was great...I would vacation there anytime...as long as I dont plan on using the internet...LOL....but would love to say thanks to the lovely staff of the restaurant...it was night shift, so whoever it was....thank you for making our stay better:)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Congratulations on your recent nuptuals! Thank you for choosing Dunes Village Resort to spend your Honeymoon with. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed so much of what we have to offer!

The internet has been under re-construction for a little while now, and now that the resort is wired with the very best fiber optics, the WiFi signal is so much better. Come back for your anniversary, or sooner, and see what I mean!

Thanks for the lovely review. Hpoe to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from Wednesday to Friday for our anniversary. It is right on the beach and really close to EVERYTHING! The staff is friendly despite being few. Our room was centrally located 514 and it wasn't too high up but was high enough that it was quiet. The view was spectacular! Linens were plentiful and toiletries were stocked and you can get more at the desk if needed. Rooms were clean. The beds and pillows were VERY comfortable! I have arthritis and slept very well and wasn't sore in the morning. We used Trip Advisor for showing us the best price on this hotel and BookIt.com had it. This hotel is a resort and has all the stuff you'd expect to find; spa, restaurants, etc. On the less positive side, the spa is almost double the going rate for a massage so we went outside of the hotel. Parking is across the street but for $10 a day, take advantage of VALET! You call from your room 10 minutes before you want to leave and your car is at the door. You can come and go as you please for the same price. Ken was terrific! Enjoy your stay! It's worth it!

Room Tip: See comments above
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a wonderful review of Dunes Village Resort. We are happy to hear that you and your Husband celebrated your anniversary with us!

I am sorry to hear that the spa we have on property was more expensive than you had expected. Cinzia spa is the best spa on the beach, which is why we have them as our spa of choice.

I am glad you got a chance to relax and celebrate your anniversary, and hope to see you back here again soon.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is the epitome of Myrtle Beach, a high rise apartment style hotel with a lazy river. The water features are great for kids under 14. There are numerous pools, outdoor chess, shuffleboard, pool basketball and even tennis courts. It is on the beach. The restaurant is horrible. The hotel looks like a renovated previously 2 star hotel. Don't come here if you don't like sharing a pool with a lot of people at once.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback regarding your Dunes Village Resort vacation. I don't recall our hotel as ever being considered "cheesy" before. I guess with all the family fun we offer, from 30,000 square feet of water park area to the planned activities offered for additional family fun, that could be considered cheesy.

Dunes Village Resort prides ourselves on offering a variety of diversions to entertain and to create "family fun."

I am sorry to hear that the restaurant did not appeal to you. We have 2 restaurants, one is a breakfast buffet and the other offers lunch and dinner. We have always gotten wonderful reviews at both, so I am speechless here.

Thank you again for your feedback. We would like to see you back here sometime.
Walnut, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

this hotel was a dream come true , it was a little chilly and the indoor water park was great. the food was good the views was awsome ,rooms was great and hotel staff was real friendly and the over all stay was great

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
"Great," "dream come true," " waterpark was great," "views were awesome." You covered the bulk of it right there! I could not have said it better myself. Thank you for taking the time to share your Dunes Village resort experience. We appreciate your kind words, and hope to have you visit again soon!
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

From the time I checked-in to the time I checked-out was great. There was a few minor problems that I can oversee like the fire alarm going off the first night I was there telling us to evacuate the building and do not use the elevator which I can understand however I had my father-in-law who happens to be using a walker with us and can not climb down stairs, and we were on the 12th floor. The other minor problem is when I went into the washroom I found a roach in the middle of the floor. Not a big problem for me because I'm not squeamish and it wasn't a big deal to kill a roach and throw it away. I only found 1 throughout my stay.

The staff was very friendly, the in-door water park was great the hot-tub was amazing after a long 3 hour drive lmao.

Other than that We had a great time and I'm looking forward to coming back in the summer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer up a wonderful 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate your kind words.

The fire alarm going off was an unfortunate circumstance, but we are firm believers in safety. While the inconvenience of the alarm was great, we are happy to report that there was no fire and all our guests remained safe.

Roaches are unusual here at Dunes Village Resort. In South Carolina, especially at the coast, we find plenty of Palmetto Bugs. (We consider them the state bird of South Carolina). They like warm, dark, damp areas, but they don't eat much. We are glad to hear that the one you saw was not bothersome to you.

We certainly hope to see you back here this summer. With all the fun we have to offer, our repeat guests find it hard to stay a way! See you soon!
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked an ocean view room and were NOT disappointed!!! It came with a beautiful view of the ocean and had everything promised on the website. We booked directly through the hotels website. The room was affordable and had more than the anyone could need. The room was clean and had enough towels to last the time we were there. (I do not like to let room service in while I am staying unless I am there for more than a week. This doesn't mean that the hotel was untrustworthy, it is just a personal preference after many years of having hotels as my home.) Unfortunately the weather was not kind to us but that meant that the hot tub and the indoor water areas were used plenty and we enjoyed them the time that we were there. The only think I would recommend is stay in the Palmetto Tower, which is where were were, as I believe the Palms Tower outside lights would have been too bright to sleep with the sliding door open, but ask for a room higher up in the Palmetto Tower. The lights are not that bright but if you want to sleep in or not feel like everyone can see you, you will want to be higher up in that tower. We will be back next year!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Palmetto Tower and stay higher up!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate all your kind words, and cannot wait to have you back here next year! See you then!

Been to Dunes Village Resort? Share your experiences!