“"Poor Service"” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lumberton, North Carolina
“"Poor Service"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been staying at DUnes Village resort for the last three years because i have a young daughter and the fact that have an indoor water park was great at first. Now, after the last three visits I have decided to do a review. I know everyone can have a bad day but third times a charm. So, I booked my hotel by calling and making my reservation. I checked into the hotel this weekend and the room type was wrong. I went downstairs and was told basically there was nothing they could do. The time before that the internet did not work, no attempt was made to fix this situation. When I went to check out the attitude of the staff was terrible and they were so snobbish and rude. I tried to call the manager at least two times and they never returned my phone calls. I am a professional and I expect more when I spend my hard earned money to go on vacation to relax and the reservation is screwed up! So after three years I will not be returning to Dunes Village Resort at myrtle beach SC and will be finding another hotel to vacation at when I go to myrtle beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort. I am sorry to hear that there have been issues during your recent stay.

The issues you mentioned cause me alarm. The desk staff, as well as the rest of the staff at Dunes Village Resort have been praised many times for their friendly and helpful demeanor, so I am surprised to hear of anything less, and I am sorry that this was what you encountered. It is definitely not typical of how Dunes Village Resort behaves.

With regard to the internet, Dunes Village Resort has taken all the internet concerns to heart, and is in the process of upgrading our WiFi service. By the end of February, we will have the newest technology to handle all of your wireless needs.

I know you said you would be looking for another place, but I certainly hope you will reconsider. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me. I am at the resort most days.

Sincerely, Cari Garvey Guest Services Manager

3,242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Dunes for a weekend and we like the site and the amenities but the check in was a little confusing. We walk in the first tower to check in and after checking in they tell us we are in the second tower... Ok we then walk to the second one and there was no indication of what is the condo section hotel section so after going up and down in the wrong elevator we finally find our room to find out that the key was not working so back to the desk... Finally we got in the room. The rooms are of good size and feature a full kitchen with everything you need to cook a plus! Everything was clean.The sleep was not perfect the pillows have had better days and it was noisy from the people above us. The kids loved the water park it was a lot of fun. The service was very good and friendly. We had breakfast at the Admiral's room and Sean our server was very attentive and the food good. We probably will return because it is a nice site but we might bring our own pillows!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your Dunes VIlalge experience with the world. We re so happy to hear that everyone had a good time, and that our staff was receptive to your needs. I am also happy to know tha the size of the rooms met your families needs.

Here is something that may excite you: We have changed our pillow supplier, and have purchased big, fluffy pillows for a lot of our units. Thatmeans you will not have to bring your own next time you come visit! Isn't that FANTASTIC? And, we have new carpet being put in some of our units this year, and sofas in some as well. Moreover, we have a new WIFI system beig installed in time for our Summer influx! So many wonderful updates happening!

We do hope your next visit is soon so you can see some of the changes happening! See you then!
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The indoor waterparks are truly the best within 150 miles. My little one was just in heaven. The water was perfect- very clean and very warm. There were also a number of games to play (ping pong, shuffleboard, miniature golf, video games and giant checkers). Honestly, considering it's winter, the amenities offered at this hotel/resort are the best in the area by far. If you have children or teenagers, they will absolutely love it. The only negative is the walk between the two waterparks (they are in different buildings). You have to walk across a narrow parking lot that doesn't appear to be owned by the hotel. It would just make this place ten times nicer if you didn't have to do that. A nice, heated walk through would be enormously appreciated by guests.
The resort was also very clean and nicely kept up. The room was nice. New granite counter tops and appliances, large bathroom, two flat screen tv's, but some of the furniture was a bit worn. Overall, the room was appointed well and clean.
The only real issues with the room were that it was designated non-smoking and when we arrived there was an obvious smokey smell. I was concerned but there was a cigarette repository (the large commercial kind) on the balcony. It just didn't make sense to me. Also, the walls are quite thin and it was noisy at night. We were near an elevator, so I would suggest a very high floor not near the elevator.
Hotel representatives were very polite, professional and helpful. The service was truly excellent.
We will probably return, lots of fun for children and families.

Room Tip: Away from elevator- high floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your thorough description regarding your stay at Dunes Village Resort. We agree wholeheartedly that we have PLENTY to occupy your time here on our property, enabling you to enjoy things without leaving.

We would love ot be able to put a heated walkway up between the 2 buildings, but unfortunately, at this time we do not own the property between our buildings. We do hope to change that one day, so stay tuned, and we will keep you posted on the exciting changes that will be taking place around here!

We hope to see you soon! Thanks again for staying at Dunes Village Resort.
Hampstead, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Dunes Village is our favorite vacation resort! The kids LOVE the indoor waterpark and my husband and I love being on the beach. The staff at Dunes Village are extremely friendly and helpful. We have never been disappointed!

Room Tip: Love the 2 and 3 bedroom condos! Rooms facing south get the most sunshine while your enjoying the o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a great review of Dunes Village Resort, we take great pride in making sure we train our staff to go above and beyond what you would expect to find at your average resort. Our amenities and location make it fun and easy for people to enjoy coming back to year after year. We look forward to seeing your family again for another great stay at Dunes Village Resort!
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had another great stay at the Dunes. Room was clean for the most part. Could do better job cleaning coffe table and table, finger prints all over glass top. Only big problem was friday and saturday night, you could hear people in room above us for hours. Not sure what was going on but almost sounded like someone was roller skating across the floor. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. That was the only real hang up. Kids loved the pool and easy to get to the beach. No problems checking in and no problems getting food in bar to take back to room. Would come back if there prices don't keep going up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of Dunes Village Resort. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed over the weekend by noise from another unit. I want to ensure you that we do have security here on staff to address any guest issues or concerns during their stay. Anytime you have an issue of this sort, feel free to call down to the front desk and we will have the issue addressed to ensure you enjoy your vacation. It’s great to hear that you did enjoy the resort itself overall though, our waterparks and easy beach access make it fun and enjoyable for all. Our staff is some of the best on the beach, striving to make your stay exceed your expectations. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.
New Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Came down in October 2012 for a long weekend golf getaway.My first impression of the hotel was not great.After we dragged our suitcases and golf travel bags into the lobby, we were hastily greeted at the desk by a woman who said their system was down and we could not check in. We asked if she could hold our bags behind the counter while we went to get lunch, she refused and said she had nowhere to put the. This way frustrating after a 3 hour flight and dragging 3 huge bags out of our tiny compact car. They did not call us as promised to tell us we could check in. Rude, but whatever we're on vacation.
Other than that, great location! We had an ocean front room with a kitchen and awesome view. The beds were not comfortable and slightly outdated (the itchy comforter and fiber woven fleece blankets). My husband and I enjoyed the convenience of the bar for lunch. We were like 2 big kids at the indoor water park! You do not have to worry about being bored on a rainy day!

Room Tip: Ask for the South Tower, its newer and nicer!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Dunes Village Resort. I am saddened by the beginning of your vacation starting off so rocky, but thrilled to hear that it became all that you expected it to be. Our staff is generally much more accomodating than you would typically expect them to be, and this just does not sound like how we treat our guests, so I apologize for these shortcomings on the front end of your stay with us.

All feedback regarding our guest stay is addressed with the people it pertains to, so I expect you to be pleased with the reception you receive on your next visit. See you then!
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I really liked that this resort was beachfront and was right off a major road, which made it easy to get there and to find restaurants and attractions nearby. There were quite a few pools to choose from; it was great to have a variety to choose from.

• Stayed January 2013
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dunes Village Resort is located in a convenient, yet quiet location right here in Myrtle Beach. We have a lot of diversions right here on property, so there is no need to venture out if you don't want to. But if you do, we are truly 1 block back from a major highway, aiding you in getting to and from the many attractions in town.

We are glad you found a variety of pools and slides to entertain you, and we hope that you choose to visit us again soon for some more fun.

Been to Dunes Village Resort? Share your experiences!