“Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Carthage TN
“Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

The location is great. This resort is showing age, at least in the room that we stayed in. Electricity went off one morning, took two hours for someone to turn it back on. Had someone open the door on another day. Was told it was maintenance who had made a mistake. Make sure you lock the door when you are in the room. Otherwise, the stay was very nice. Parking was very convenient and access to the beach is great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

921 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Pikeville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel. It was the third time in three years that we stayed there. On the second night we found a roach in the bathroom and the next morning there was another one in the bedroom, and we were in a penthouse. We told the receptionist that morning and she told us it was common. I didn't feel like that was a exceptable response, so I asked to speak to the manager. She informed us that the exterminated the hotel once a month but didn't offer any compensation for the bugs in our room. They did spray our room but I didn't feel that was enough. Also the pool closes at 11pm and they allowed a group of people to stay out there until 2am drinking and screaming until someone finally complained enough for them to tell them to leave. Overall I was not to pleased with my say and we will not be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
I remember meeting with this guest and of course was very sorry that this occurred. We do have all our units professionally treated each month in hopes that this will not happen, however, in a hotel with over two hundred sliding glass doors that are openned most of the time so our guests can enjoy the ocean sounds, it does happen. I did offer to move the guests to another condo, but they chose not to do this. As the manager when I am faced with issues that effect my guests I do everything I can to make them more comfortable. I do appreciate this guests comments.
Myrtle Beach, SC.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

This was a quick spur of the moment stay at the end of August. I have stayed at Grande Shores many times over several years mostly in the fall, winter and spring. It always feels like a second home. The hotel staff is great, the bar and restaurant is very convenient and always a lot of fun. The amenities are just right and the rooms always fine. I always feel I get a very good value here and love the location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Maggie Valley, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I have stayed here three times in the last two years and have always had a overall good experience. This trip we were here for 11 nights. We've actually stayed in the same room every time (by request) because of the convenience. That being said, the room has not seen any upgrade during this time and still has the same comforters in use. I believe that a fresh coat of paint and a good scrub of the bathroom tile would go a long way, but generally the room was clean. Two problem areas are the carpet: needs a good cleaning as it leaves black marks on your bare feet; and the hot water. I called down on the night we checked in as there was no hot water. Maint. guy came up and just let the taps run for 10 minutes and declared the problem fixed. I called down again the next day since nothing had improved and was again assured that everything was "fixed". Next day, same situation, you had to run the water for at least 10 minutes before it had any trace of warm. I finally went down to the front desk and asked that they send an email to the maint. dept. to address this. I never heard anything again, and we just continued to let the water run until it got warm, never hot. Apparently it is OK to just waste water here but it bothered me. This was their $$$ going down the drain.
The beds are very hard and pillows need to be replaced. Housekeeping did a good job and even washed our few dishes, which was a surprise. All employees were friendly and helpful. I had breakfast once in the restaurant but everything on the buffet was cold, so I didn't return. Parking can be challenging if you encounter someone in too much of a hurry, but is so easy to use during check-in/check-out.
Grande Shores is a nice, older facility that is in a quiter part of the beach and really meets our needs. It sure needs some attention, however.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We liked a few things about the hotel such as location and roof top pool. However, we had several issues with this hotel. Door to our room was broken. The door was jammed and could not open without a lot of force and closet doors were also broken. The bed sheets were dirty when we arrived and were not changed during our stay. The maid service did not arrive on our first day so we had to search out in the hallway to find someone with clean towels. The maid service arrived only once at that was on our checkout morning which surprised us because we had not see them on the other days. Fire alarms went off on our first night after 2am in the morning, needless to say that we not pleased. There were no staff members outside during the alarm to direct guests where to go. The guests decided it was okay to return to hotel after fire truck left the parking lot but very surprised that no hotel staff were present. Later, we discovered that some of the other hotel guests ignore the fire alarms because this problem has happened to them more than once.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I couldn't recommend a better place to stay!! They have the greatest staff there, and Bryse was VERY helpful in recommending things to do around town. The location was GREAT! And the restaurant was FABULOUS! I would recommend this resort to all my friends and family in the area! Highly recommended for any one in the area!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

This hotel was recommended to me by my sister who has stayed here 3 or 4 times before. She couldn't tell me enough how much she liked it. I stayed for two nights in a two-bedroom condo with a friend. This is my experience.

Front Desk Staff was absolutely amazing. Very clean-cut, and extremely helpful. We called down for directions three times and they always printed them out fresh with a smile on their face. They gave us restaurant reviews (the Shoreline Cafe located on site was not the best we discovered on our own, but not terrible), movie showtimes and advice on what to do. The two people we saw the most were Talisha, who we discovered is an intern from the UK, and Brice, a newer employee who checked us in. Both were friendly and chatted with us with real enthusiasm, no mock-niceness at all. They made us smile, and weren't uptight, strict professional jerks we've met at other hotels.

The housekeepers were always very friendly and smiled constantly and always waved at us. The engineer we had come up to help us configure our internet was very sociably and friendly.

Overall, our favorite part of the trip was the staff, and had everything else been terrible (which it was NOT), we would still come back to this place we feel welcomed.

The hotel is located right on the beach, and actually really close to anything we needed, within fifteen minutes or less. The many pools were always the right temperature and pools on the 7th(?) floor, overlooking the ocean was an incredible sight.

The restaurant, however, was not very good. The staff was very friendly (like every other employee at the hotel), and we were glad we stopped, but this is one of two (listed below) things that should be changed.

The rooms were very good, only exactly as we expected them to be. We like the surprise of being wowed as opposed to getting EXACTLY what we expected. The rooms were good, comfortable and clean, but needed major updates. They just kind of look like and improved bed and breakfast, not the best with the WOW factor, but not terrible either.

Overall my opinion is that this hotel is great and I will definitly be coming back many more times!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Grande Shores Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!