“Will never stay there again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Reef Resort

You added Crown Reef Resort to your Saves list
Crown Reef Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2913 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly Crown Reef at South Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% off Spring!
Ranked #91 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
“Will never stay there again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed in Tower One on the 9th floor, and the rooms were disgusting. Our first room had a broken toilet seat, urine or feces stained mattress, and either dried poop or blood on the bathroom wall. We were given another room, that room had a clogged tub, dirty linens, the room was dusty. None of the vending machines worked on the resort. There was an issue with my kids arcade card. There was this horrible smell near the glass elevator. Crown Reef Resort is a piece of crap. We were told that the resort had been recently remodeled, I didn't see anything there that was remodeled. I can go on and on. We will NEVER EVER stay there again. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good, and the ocean view was nice.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Gilmanton, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

When we arrived, we had travelled nearly 20 hours. The girl who checked us in was Marisa. Total lack of customer service and maturity. When we got to the front desk, we at least expected a smile. No smile," no welcome to our hotel" . It seemed like we were bothering her. We had booked two rooms. One for my husband and I and the other for my mom and the kids. She messed up the billing and then got an attitude, snapped back at me and said she billed exactly as I told her, which she did not. We were 1/2 hour early checking in and refused to check us in early. We asked her a few questions and was very short and did not answer us with anything helpful. She forgot to give us cards for the kids to play in the arcade which we paid for in advance. She said we did not buy any, I showed her my print out and then she gave us the cards, which were worth only $10, not $25. When we discovered this, office was closed. Arcade was ok. No tickets were given out when my kids won, but I guess that was ok... the prize booth only had spider rings and penny prizes.
The rooms were clean. They did run out of coffee one morning, but promised to bring me up some when the truck came in with more... and they did.
The pools were nice, a little run down, but the first day my kids had a great time. Second day, they emptied the lazy river for the rest of our vacation. My son was disappointed, my daughter was ok with it because when she came out of the pool on the first day, her whole body was covered in welts from the chlorine, or whatever was in the pools. She swims a lot and had never had a reaction like that before.
We spent most of the time going out. Overall, the rooms were clean and had everything you needed. Customer service was very poor. I really don't feel like being snapped at after travelling all day.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Tess p, Front Office Manager at Crown Reef Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Shoshianne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. Your attention to detail is graciously welcomed as it allows us to take ownership of our downfalls. I can assure you customer service is one of core values and we try to provide each and every guest with great service. I sincerely apologize that we let you down. I'm thrilled to hear that the room was great and the kids enjoyed themselves at the resort.

Have a great day!
Groveland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First time staying at this resort. We got a groupon for it and it was WELL worth the money. The first room we checked into had not been cleaned. We called the front desk and they immediately switched the room to down the hall with no hesitation and even gave us free breakfast passes for the inconvenience! The new room was very clean, the room service was wonderful (always had plenty of clean towels and she even washed our dishes!) The view was awesome! Although we had a few palm trees slightly blocking our view of the beach but I can't even complain about that! The beds were very comfortable, and we loved falling asleep to the sound of waves. There are a ton of pools and hot tubs and the water slides were a blast! I loved that the beach was just a walk from the pool. The hotel is beautiful at night when you are driving up to it! All lit up purple! The only complaints that I do have are minor. There are no real hallways to the rooms, you are basically next to the parking lot. So you do hear a lot of noise coming from people getting out of their cars, it is also convenient though because you are just a short walk to your car. The parking lots are very inconvenient and very tight to park an SUV in. Also, there was construction every morning right outside our window that woke us up around 8, but that is understandable because I know it is about to be their busy season and they are just trying to get the outside ready! Also, the floor surrounding the pool is a bit dirty, however, it would simply take a good pressure washing to be cleaned! Overall, this is a great hotel for families, especially during the busy season when I'm sure there won't be construction. There are a lot of horrible reviews of this hotel, but I'm not sure why. Especially when they say the rooms aren't clean! Ours was spotless.

Lillington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We visited this resort in March. They reason we choose this particular hotel was because of the indoor water slide. We were celebrating my sons 8th bday and he loves the water. We were overall pleased with the resort. Our room was clean and we didn't have any issues with it, the beds slept well. The restaurant/ bar has a variety of food choices and not bad to taste. Me and my husband had drinks and appetizers one night and brought the kids back the next night. They have a game room adjacent from the bar that has a lot of games for the kids. The slides were up and running and the kids loved them. Hot tubs a plus. The only complaint I can say is that upon check in, we were redirected to a building across the street, the convention center I think. That was a little hassle but other than that everything was good.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Juanita,

Many thanks for such warm compliments. We were happy to have you join us and hope your son had a great 8th birthday. We love to make our guests happy and were thrilled to hear we did just that. Glad to hear that the children loved the arcade and the water slides. We look forward to you coming back in the future!

Thanks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This place was well worth the money. My kids had an amazing time, as did I. The only complaint I had was the lazy river was closed due to some repairs, but working now. The water park is great. I think I had more fun on it than the kids did. Lol. I would recommend staying here if you are bringing the kids along for the trip. Before getting here, I had read a lot of bad things about this place but almost all that I had read, wasn't true. The check-in is across the street but a very nice building. Lots of parking, bunch of pools, bunch of hot tubs, and the best looking resort at night, just beautiful lit up. The rooms aren't amazing but they're worth it, especially when you see the view. One last thing, don't believe all the bad that you will read on here, just give it a shot, you'll enjoy it. It isn't a five but a very good FOUR. Thank you

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Brittany J, Manager at Crown Reef Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Justin W.,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review. We appreciate your enthusiasm regarding you most recent visit with us and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all the water features as well as your children. If you ever find yourself traveling back to Myrtle Beach we would love to have you back at Crown Reef. We would be delighted to accommodate you and your family again in the future.

Brittany Jackson
Assistant Front Office Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

We are currently staying at this resort. I will say that I have learned a lot about reviews on sites like this. I read some reviews and was immediately put on alert, before we came up. First some background information. I am from the Orlando area and as such, I have been to every major resort in town. I Have been to the best of the best. Also, I have been to tons of awesome beach resorts! Here's the kicker, I know the difference..... When I book a trip to a place like Disney, they do not disappoint. It is spotless, well appointed and cared for. Duh! When I come to the beach, I expect the resort have the normal wear and tear that living in a constant salt bath creates. I expect some paint to be peeling and some rust to show. It's all part of it. Get over yourselves people. This resort is just what it should be. It's beach side resort with upgrades happening ( how can they ever keep up with the wear and tear if they don't work on it) So her is the review...check in was smooth, at nine at night. A small billing error was found and corrected. The room was clean, beds were made nicely and the bathroom was spotless. The Murphy bed was comfortable. The TVs worked perfectly and small kitchenette had a full size fridge and stove and microwave. All rooms overlook the beach and pool area. The pools were vacuumed every morning and were very clean. The grounds were undergoing upgrades such as pavers and a new tiki bar. This was ongoing but never even once intruded on our good time. ( upgrades and maintenance are important) I can tell you that the staff were all pleasant and helpful. We had a need for a plunger ( three year old ) and it was delivered promptly and a phone call was made to our room one hour later to see if out problem was resolved. Every staff member we saw greeted us and was pleasant. When you stay at a resort for a week, they don't change the sheets every day....maybe at the Ritz Carlton but nit a famy beach resorts....again, get over yourselves. This resort is just fine no bugs, anywhere, bed or otherwise.....as clean as expected and possibly cleaner than expected, staff was great, pools were clean and heated, food at both restaurants was very good, elevators all worked fine even if the one lady I met said that the car would not go to the ground level...the light on the button was burnt out! If you are looking for a nice, family vacation that has plenty of amenities and is reasonably priced give this one a chance, it's just not for uppity folks with their panties in a bunch.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Khow136,

Many thanks for your fantastic review and for taking the time to go into detail about your feed back. We are a family beach resort that strives on offering our guests an enjoyable vacation filled with lots of memories. Our staff tries to go the extra mile with all of our guests and we are glad they were able to do so with you. We were delighted to have you and can't wait to see you again in the future.

Thanks so much

Have a great day!

New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at this resort before but it has been years. I brought my family down during spring break and it went down hill from there. We started out waiting in line for over an hour to check in. When we got to our room, there was no clicker for the TV. The kids beds didn't have comforters. The lamp between the beds didn't work. Oh- and the bugs- I have never been so disgusted in my life. Bugs running up the walls. We even caught one in a glass and when the maintenance man came up to look at the TV we showed it to him. He said- oh you have to call the front desk, they have a company that comes out. well we called the front desk and never heard or saw anyone. The vending machines on all floors were not working. we were told we could run into the staff lounge if we wanted to grab something. Really?? It only gets better-I do not know what the policy is for getting your sheets changed but ours were never changed during our whole stay and one day we never even got room service. we had to call the front desk again to request towels. only 3 sets were brought up when there was 6 of us, so we had to call and wait longer to get more towels. If you want towels at the pool- forget it. you will never find them or find clean ones. The inside pool and waterpark were gross. the ladders were loose and falling off. Trash and towels laying all over. The kicker was the shower. when you are in the shower you hear a pump come on and the temperature nozzle starts to vibrate and move by itself to scolding hot. Needless to say I was not very happy having 3 small children. Not safe at all. so you are trying to shower and hold the nozzle at the same time. Called about that but no one ever came to check on it. Parking is bad. If you have a large vehicle you will have problems. One night I had to drive around and around looking for a spot that was open. I literally called the front desk every day with a complaint or concern and even left a "manager" a voice mail and told him to call me and never got a return call. Management never looked into the issues or had the courtesy to call me back. Obviously from other reviews too, it looks like the management really doesn't care. I will never stay here or recommend this place to anyone. Everyone should get their money back!!!

Brittany J, Manager at Crown Reef Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Christine G.,

Thank you for your feedback, I do sincerely appreciate your time in writing this detail feedback. It is with disappointment that I note our inability to meet your expectations and for that, i would like to sincerely apologize. Please rest assured that your comments have been taken seriously and brought to the attention to all the proper departments. We appreciate your feedback as it is beneficial in our quest to provide an optimal experience. We hope to soon have the opportunity to prove to you that Crown Reef is a premium destination in Myrtle Beach.

Brittany Jackson
Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to Crown Reef Resort? Share your experiences!