“Desperately Needs An Update!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 35% off Summer
Ranked #153 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Matthews, North Carolina
“Desperately Needs An Update!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in desperate need of an update!!! The rooms are VERY out dated, not worth the money & I even used a Groupon that was $59 for the room & it still wasn't worth that! Also, the first room they put us in on the 9th floor, the balcony was COVERED in seagull poop & feathers! There was not an inch of the balcony that was not covered with poop. It was absolutely disgusting!! I'm not even sure how they will "clean" that; it's got to be extremely unsanitary to just be "cleaned" & then have families out there on it, especially children!! We did get moved to another room & that balcony was better, but overall I was NOT impressed with this hotel at all & will NEVER stay here again! Please don't waste your money!! There are MUCH better hotels in Myrtle Beach than this!!!

• Stayed March 2013

1,127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Monroe, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Hotel is in need of a much needed make over.The rooms are out dated and need attention. The People Was so nice . There was one guy that stood out. He just drove into work as a chef that morning but before ge clocked in he was so helpful in making sure we had a great place to unload my car because I told him we had trouble loading it that night before because it sat so low to the ground. Al was so much help . So my nerves were gone thanks so muck to Al the chef .Somebody Please give this guy a day off!! I Have a New friend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tess p, Front Office Manager at Crown Reef at South Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
We appreciate the feedback you have left us about your recent stay here! We are aware that the rooms need updating and we are in the process of working on that right now. We have been doing conditional improvements to the property since the season ended, and hope that you will visit us again so that we can prove that to you. I was thrilled to hear how much Al assisted you guys in making sure loading and unloading was easier for you, i will be sure to let him know. Please if there is anything we can do please let us know!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had our grandson with us and he enjoyed the heated pool. I wished the propert had more activities or play areas for children. Location was great. We had a wonderful view of the south end pier. Its was all lite up at night. Little cold but its march after all. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to friends and family

• Stayed March 2013
Tess p, Front Office Manager at Crown Reef at South Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear how much your grandson enjoyed himself! We are looking to add more recreation activities for children during our in season months.We look forward to having you stay with us again,we hope all is well and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Burgaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed at this resort for the weekend. It was excellent, room was great, pool was fantastic. The best part was the staff. They were considerate and very acommodating . Brittney at check in explained where everything was located and was very helpful. In such a large resort it would be easy to get lost but I didn't have a bit of problems. Mike from second shift maintence was very polite and I really appreciated his help with my safe and knowledge of the area. He gave me some great tips on where to go and what to do. I had one problem with my phone but after calling the phone desk it was addressed by Walt in maintence in just a few minutes. The staff made my stay very enjoyable. The ocean side balcony was a very comfortable place to chill. I will look forward to returning to this resort soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean side so you cant go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate the feedback you have left us about your recent stay here at The Crown Reef. We are thrilled to hear that the staff was very helpful to you and that you enjoyed your stay. We are hear to ensure all of our guest's have a great time and we are glad that you did just that. We hope that you enjoyed your relaxing time on your all Oceanfront balcony, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!! Let us help plan your next vacation!
summerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

First impressions are extremely important and this place is gorgeous except the greeting desk clerk acted like everyone was bothering her being there, she had the personality of a rock! However, after that initial disappointment the accomodations are amazing as is the view. My family had suffered a traumatic loss recently and I had taken my daughter away to relax. And we did just that! Room was beautiful,view breathtaking. We enjoyed breakfast in the cafe, only wish it were open for lunch and dinner as well. We visited the bar it closed way too early but other than those little picky things and the gift shop wasnt there it was empty! Well we had a wonderful time and hope to come back soon. Hey Crown Reef send us some great discount coupons and we will come every month!!

Room Tip: the poor service was for only one employee Wendi Ocean side every time
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize that the clerk was not accomodating in making you feel welcome here. All of our guest's are very important to us and we surely do not want you to feel unwelcome. We are sorry for your recent loss, and are thrilled that we could provide you with some oceanfront relaxation to take your mind off of things. We have just recently opened our Crown Cafe back up for Lunch and Dinner, we are sorry you missed that while you were here. Our gift shop is now located in our Guest Services lobby, and is now open 24 hours. We hope everything has calmed down with the loss you had, and look forward to being able to see you again the future!!If you need anything please do not hesitate to contact the Resort!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a long search I finally found the registration desk. Signs in garage said that it was across the street. Large sign across steet poited to a small parking lot and garage. After a lengthy search I found a stairway with no signs indicating where they lead. They lead to a convention center and the registration desk. I was given a room in tower #2. Again no signs indicating how to find #2 from the garage. finally found a door that entered the building. Yep, you guessed it. No signs telling how to find the elevators or the pool or the ocean.
Room was very clean and tidy but old and run down. Rust on vent hood, pealing veneer on kitchen cabinets and armoire.
Clerk at registration was friendlyand informative.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. I apologize that our signs did not stand out more. We try to make check in and check out a very easy process for our guest's. We can assure you that it is our goal to make sure you enjoy your stay, and find all our amenities with no problems. Once again we are very sorry, and if we can do anything please let us know.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

First let me begin with we have not stayed there. We saw a great price on Groupon and decided to do a quick family trip this coming weekend. Not knowing it is college spring break since our kids are under 5 that they would be very limited on availability. Since the Groupon specials are "sold out" and we had asked another couple to also come stay there this weekend we did not want to cancel our plans.

I found out yesterday that they were "sold out" and started looking for other places to stay. Looking on the web I came across that we could still book the Crown Reef for not much more than we had paid for the Groupon, with us returning the Groupon we face a $25 fee. So I thought to avoid the ridiculous fee and a possible win/win situation I would see if the Crown Reef would allow me to still use the Groupon and pay the difference. I called while the third shift employee was on duty and he did not know the answer but was very helpful by telling to call back when a manger (Alice or Tess) was on duty. This morning I call and the woman who answered was not who I was told to talk to. I explained to her that I was told to ask for a manager about my Groupon. She asked what I was calling about and I told her the Groupon and would like to talk to a manager. So she again asked what about because she had to inform the manager what it pertained too. So I once again said it was about the Groupon I purchased.

The manager gets on the phone and she does not have the name Tess or Alice but informs me with a bit of an attitude tone that she is in fact a manger. I asked her if we could still use our voucher and pay the difference is which she replied no. I said so instead of us staying there and paying the difference you are satisfied with us going somewhere else this weekend and not having our business at all? She responded with that is your choice. So in all I guess I am happy that this is our outcome because looking at the pictures and now dealing with the staff this seems to be a blessing in disguise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Crown Reef at South Beach Resort? Share your experiences!