“We spent a week end in March at Bar Harbor” 3 of 5 stars

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
100 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29578   |
Ranked #118 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Newport, NC
“We spent a week end in March at Bar Harbor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I chose a trip to Myrtle Beach to see the sun rise over the ocean from an oceanfront room where even I could hear the sound of the surf. After looking around, I chose Bar Harbor. In this respect, my expectations were met in every way.
For the most part, it was a good stay but I would not have thought the same if I'd have paid summer rates for this particular room.
We chose a room with a jacuzzi, hoping to ease our old aching joints. The jacuzzi existed, but the motor didn't work.
The toilet leaked constantly and sometimes we had to take the top off the tank and make adjustments so that it didn't run wide open constantly. It never stopped leaking entirely.
We did not report the problem until we left because we really didn't want our time interrupted by workers in and out.
The room was much smaller than I expected, making it seem cramped, but it did have all the things it was supposed to have, such as a private balcony, a refrigerator, etc. It was reasonably clean considering the run down condition. Although the the curtains were pretty, they didn't match the bedspreads and overall it was somehow "disquieting."
They kept spraying some horrible smelling cleaner on the common areas that made my nose run. I don't know what they were trying to cover up but if they would have just cleaned instead of spraying, it probably would have been more effective.

The saving factor, and the reason I don't feel like this was an adventure lost, was the friendliness of the staff. I don't know if it is Myrtle Beach in general or we just happen to pick places where the nicest people work but one of the things I've always been impressed with is how friendly people are. Bar Harbor's staff was no exception to my overall good impression of the people of Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: Although the 8th floor seems appealing, and the view really is spectacular, if you are "queasy...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rhowell62, Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I see your visit to our hotel was April of 2012. In the last 6 months we had updated our hotel with new beds and carpet. In the coming weeks we will be replacing all the curtains, bedspreads and installing flat screen tv's. We have a new head housekeeper and staff and have made many more changes to improve. Come give us a try again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

this was the most awful motel at myrtle beach. The room was very cluttered and small not like it was on the website. The night maiantience man tried to fight and agrue with my fiancee for asking questions. The maids was ordering if we didnt hurry and leave by eleven theyd throw our things out do not stay here but the bermuda sands hotel next door is good.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Valle Crucis, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited the beach last weekend for the marathon and did not have reservations. Not having reservations we did not realize how busy the beach would be. All the large resorts were booked. We wanted to stay at Oceans One but they were booked. The staff there told us to try Barharbor accross the street that they have done a number of renovations. We checked the reviews on our smartphone and said no thanks. After looking for about 2 hours we decided to go look at a room at Barharbor. We were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very clean. The front desk staff said they had a new head housekeeper and cleaning staff. The beds and carpet were brand new. Great location with the nice pier only 1 block away. We will come back.

Room Tip: The king suite room had a wonderful oceanfront view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel was great and perfect for my ideal trip to the beach! Love the location, the fact that its ocean front is a major plus and i like that its close to the sky Wheel and board walk and pier but not right on top of it. In other words, its close enough to enjoy the walk. Loved the view From our room. loved everything! I am really hoping to be back! I found our room to be clean and comfortable and ALL of the staff was very friendly, helpful and nice. :)

• Stayed June 2012
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We first checked into a 4th floor room. The air conditioning/heater did not work. Then we noticed a beeping sound. It was the remains of a non-working smoke detector. We asked to move. They moved us next door. No tv remote. We later found debris and cigarette ashes behind the night stand. The chair was broken on the balcony and the balcony was very dirty.This facility needs to clean up its act or tear down!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lake City, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are large however the bathroom was very nasty. Looked as the floor wasn't cleaned at all. The smoke alarm was laying on the table whenever we arrived. I'm unsure of the wifi service only staying one night I didn't take my laptop with me

Ok I guess probably not somewhere I will stay again. During this time a year you can get a much better and cleaner room for the same price.

• Stayed November 2012
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Room was large, ocean view with balcony, kitchen, very clean.

Location is perfect, right in the center of action

We had 2 medium dogs that loved their stay too, especially watching the people & dogs on the beach.

We will be returning.

Room Tip: go for the ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bar Harbor Motor Inn? Share your experiences!