“NASTY,IF YOU LIKE ROACHS THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bar Harbor Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Bar Harbor Motor Inn
100 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29578   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #114 of 215 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“NASTY,IF YOU LIKE ROACHS THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Aunt use to stay at this place years ago, then it was nice. We had four different family menbers staying here. It was dirty,run down. When I told the staff about the roachs, they said sorry we spray once a month. They move us twice, said the room we were in was booked. We had booked a head to???? The staff was not helpful at all. I seen 2 dogs tied to a tree at motel for over an hour with no water. I went down to the office to let them know. They said sorry we can't do anything don't know who's dogs they are. If you want you can call aminal control. I din't want to stay, but didn't want to upset the other family menbers. All four would of had to found a different hotel.

Room Tip: I don't have anything good to say about this place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Eden, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Don't expect this to be a five star because you are not paying for a five star. The rates are very good. Housekeeping could do a much better job. Hard getting a cart over to the other building to unload luggage.

Marion, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great place to stay. Price was very reasonable. 4 hotels from the pier. Was perfect for us. Room was larger than expected an talk about the view-unreal. set on the couch or lay on the bed an c the ocean.Sunrise every morning. had large refrigerator an sink an microwave.Jacuzzi tub was great.A very needed an relaxing vacation.Plenty of places close by to eat an shop.

Cowansville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just got back from staying at bar harbor for the 10th year.Location is great we had a ground level room and we liked it better than in the south tower were we have stayed before.It was clean and the house keeping staff were great with the daily service the gave us always very polite and accommadating. We had a few items that needed to be fixed and the same day i reported it is was fixed asap. The front desk ( Mr Austin ) was top notch all the way he is always very curtius polite and a true professional. From the moment of booking to modifications to giving the right info he was there and we appreciate him very much.The owners have made some improvements over the winter, we were her in January and saw what was going on. This has helped but please dont stop you have a ways to go to get the place back to what it was the first time we came and it was under the previous owner.
All in all bar harbor is not the Hilton but your not paying the price of it either. This is a nice family hotel that we enjoy coming back to for the staff, the beach, the location. Its not perfect but im not either so there.

Room Tip: Ground level was accomadating for the lugging of golf clubs
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was my first trip to Myrtle Beach. The friend that I was traveling with had stayed here before and made the reservations. We were traveling with our two dogs and the Bar Harbor being pet-friendly was a major factor in our choosing to stay there. We checked in and went out to eat before going to the room. The elevator was rickety and a little nerve-wracking as our room was on the 7th floor. It needed to be mopped and there were cigarette butts and trash on the floor. Upon our arrival, the first thing we noticed was that the air-co was not working as it was rather hot outside. We had a 2 bedroom suite so there were 2 air-cos..neither worked! The room was far from clean and the tacky orange bedspreads were stained. There had obviously been some leaks as the ceiling had been patched in several places..there were also a few holes in the wall. The floor was dirty. I was somewhat surprised that the place looked so run-down as it was advertised as a premium oceanfront hotel. We attempted to call the front desk to report the lack of air-co but the phone was broken. We went downstairs and spoke with the desk clerk. He was an older man and very rude. When we reported the broken air-co he said it was too late to do anything since we had waited so long to report it. We asked to be moved but the hotel was full. When we asked to be comped if we couldn't move he acted like we were lying to get an upgrade or something for nothing. We spent a miserable night with no air. They did fix it the next morning and upon checkout we were comped $50. Big deal. The dog area was filthy and none of the other guests bothered to clean up after their dogs. It was filthy and covered with dog poop. Obviously the hotel staff didn't clean the area. It was nasty. We stayed 3 nights and I don't consider myself a person that's hard to please but it was pretty bad. The clerk that we had the run-in with was absolutely horrible. I can't imagine keeping someone around that acted like this. If you decide to stay here its right on the beach and the balcony is nice. The beds were very uncomfortable and hard. The class of guests was rowdy and doors were slammed all night long. It was certainly an adventure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ravenswood,WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were looking for a nice place to spend our week in Myrle Beach. Accidently ran across add on internet, and we stopped here. The price was good, and the view was fantastic. We were not expecting anything spectacular and weren't afforded much more. The redeeming feature for us was that we were on the first floor of the second building and it had a deck, large deck shared by four other rooms. The view was great from here with access to the beach a short stroll. But why leave the deck, the view and sounds were what we were looking for. The room was rather tight for us, but manageable, the furnishings were straight up motel equipment. Our room had one light that didn't work with the cord cut, not able to plug it in. The beds were well used up, with a hump in one and a low corner on the other queen bed. The two pillows per bed were flat. The TV was an older tube type, but worked great. We had an efficiency with small kitchen area. The utensils were basic, and limited. No steak knifes, etc. The refrigerator and stove were not level. Also on that line, no hair dryer, or iron. The bathroom was adequate, with concerns about a brown spot on the wall, and no toilet paper holder. The tile in the floorway leading to the room was slick when we first entered, almost fell twice. We requested no house keeping the first day, but the other four days they were attended to but three nights I slept with sand in my bed. Also on the deck area, there was no reentry to the room if the door was shut, requiring a walk around to the front door to reenter the room, throught the pool area and parking area between buildings. The curtains over the A/C units were covered by curtains, requiring a stuffing of the curtains to get the cool air flowing into the room to maintain privacy. The parking area is very iffy. We stayed on the first floor and expected to have a parking spot upon returning from an outing. We were lucky I had a very small vehicle. I feel the tenants in upstair rooms should park in the basement and ride the elevator to their floor, not park on first floor parking area.
When we come back we will look hard at staying here again, it served it's purpose for us. Like other places for vacation, it's a place to stay at night, so fancy amenities are not that important, you're not going to be there all the time. It was an OK place.

Room Tip: Bring any daily utensils you require.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have been coming here for the past five years and I have never regretted it. I usually come down early June w/family and then sneak back with hubby for some couples time. My only complaint and I was told they are looking into getting it, is no wi-fi. Otherwise I refuse to stay anywhere else because of the great location. Family Kingdom is only about 4 blocks away,The 2nd ave pier is next door and you can walk on it or have a great meal w/o ever moving your car. We have a fabulous view of the ocean and can also sit on the balcony street side and watch the cars and people going up/down Ocean Blvd..

I just left after a 3 day couples getaway on Sunday 9/16/12 and our time was wonderful. We stayed in room 604,had a great time on the balcony overlooking the ocean and the 2nd ave pier. When I checked in, the room was clean,cool from the working A/C and welcoming. I was putting our kitchen items away(we always bring our own) and noticed we needed an ash tray(we are smokers) and a dish towel and dish cloth. I walked to the ofice,was given an ashtray and a promise to have the cloths sent up. They arrived w/in 30 minutes. Management has always treated us great,they have taken care of any need immediately and I have never seen them treat anyone rudlely.
I have never in the past five years seen a bug in our room or had any problem with nastiness in the room. They rooms are always clean(not new but comfortable) The beds are firm and I sleep great which surprises me everytime since I usually can't sleep in motels. I do remember once the door the the balcony kept locking automatically and I worried about getting locked out there. I reported it to the office and a repairman was there in less than an hour.
If you plan to stay here,expect things to be older. They are slowly replacing the carpets and the one in 604 looked almost new.There are supposed to be dishes in every kitchenette and there are,but it is basic and you may need more. I always being a set of silverware for each person and a baking pan,frying pan and a pot. The TV does not pick up HBO but I had about 45 channels to choose from. Who goes to the beach to stay in your room? The bathrooms are older but everything worked(needed a little better water pressure but I never run out of how water!
I've stayed at other more expensive hotels and have found that for the money,you can't beat this for the location(Boardwalk starts right in the backyard!). I even had a relative die during a trip a few years ago and they refunded the rest of my money since I left three days early. I didn't expect them too,they offered. Who does that! I've read the other reviews and really have a hard time believing them. My question is usually,did they really bring the problems to the attention of the manager or suffer in silence instead of having things taken care of during their stay? If you want a perfect location,great ocean and boardwalk views,budget friendly and PET friendly,then this is the place. Will be calling around March to make my usual reservations for June. Hope to see you there!!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the bottom floor. Stayed there once and it was noisy with the sunbathers and also ithe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bar Harbor Motor Inn? Share your experiences!