“Skeptical at first, but excellent for the price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Wind Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Summer Wind Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Summer Wind Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1903 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly A Summer Wind Motel)   |
Ranked #175 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Athens, GA
“Skeptical at first, but excellent for the price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

At the last minute we decided to get away for the 4th of July weekend. After looking everywhere (SC, NC, GA, FL, AL) for a reasonably-priced hotel or vacation rental that was near the ocean and finding nothing available under $170/night, I somehow found this one online. I went ahead and booked because it was <$100/night and oceanfront. Too good to be true, I thought. After booking, I read through the tripadvisor (& other sites) reviews and was afraid I'd made a big mistake. We were thisclose to cancelling the reservation, forefitting our deposit, and booking somewhere else because of the numerous complaints of roaches (can't handle that), dirty rooms, bad service, etc.

I'm glad we didn't! We got in late that night, the guy up front was waiting for us and said he was about to call to check on us (we got in around 9pm). In all honesty, the place does look a little sketch considering its a 4-story motel on a strip with some fancy, high-rise hotels. The parking lot was a little dirty and there weren't an abundance of parking spots but we are talking about the 4th of July weekend, right on the beach.

Our room was great, exactly as they described it. It smelled clean, no crazy stains anywhere and looked tidy. I looked behind the dresser, in the drawers, behind the curtains, under the beds - I searched it with a white glove to find evidence of roaches, other bugs, etc. I came up with nothing! The bathroom did have a few issues - there were a few water damage spots on the ceiling, but nothing leaking, no mold, no bad odor. The water pressure was a little crazy (I guess you could call it a 'massaging showerhead'), but I'd much rather have that than a showerhead that spits out a drop a minute.

The stove and appliances worked fine, the fridge and freezer were clean and were full size. We did a lot of cooking in the room to save money, and even with food everywhere, I never saw a bug (& I kept looking!)

We had new sheets, towels, garbage bags, etc every day. Always enough and always clean.

The kids loved the pool and hot tub; it was clean, the deck and chairs were nice and in good condition.

All in all, I thought it was great. We would definitely stay there again! It's not the Hilton, so you can't go into it expecting that, but if you're looking for an affordable oceanfront place, this one is great!

Room Tip: They said the ocean front rooms have been updated more recently, but our non-oceanfront was just fin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Kaseyjkb,
Thank you for staying at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, and for writing an honest review of your stay. In February, Summer Wind of Myrtle Beach contracted with a new management company. We appreciated you noting the room condition, and the team is working hard to improve the motel and guest service. We hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had an excellent time here also. There is nothing to complain about. These other peoples reviews, must be crazy. The staff was nice and meant all our needs. The rooms are very clean!! We did not see one bug and we could not say one bad thing about summer wind. We plan on staying here again and would recommend it to anyone. Do not let the other reviews make u think any differently.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Becky,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. Summer Wind is an older motel that is located directly on the oceanfront. It is a small independent property. We strive to offer oceanfront rooms at a value, in a desired section of Myrtle Beach. We hope that you can come back and experience Myrtle Beach in the fall. It's a great time of year.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a excellent time here.all our needs was met without a problem.the manager even got out of bed just to meet one of our needs.I love the location of this place too.We will all definately return for another stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear April 1976,
Thank you for staying at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. Despite our best efforts, things break and need repair. We appreciated you mentioning that the Manager was responsive in addressing your issue. Hope to see you soon!
lancaster, ky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Really do not know where to start so will start with first day there, Monday - air conditioner was not putting out cold air enough to cool room. called front desk and they said they would send someone up. we left today on Saturday and no one came all week. we purchased box fans to try to cool room. bathroom too small to put fan in there. next roaches, we called the front desk and we think they sent someone the next day. next we had to take garbage and get our own towels most of the week. sheets changed on one bed all week long. then came in one day and the door that goes to adjoining room was open. called front desk and they said they would be right up. never did see a person all week in regards to this matter. then place was not accessible to handicap. I have a power chair that I rode to pool and there were two small steps you had to go down which I was afraid to do. I had to get out of chair and my husband took it down. on my way back, husband not with me, two men who were strangers to me lifted chair up the steps, again had to get out of power chair. put new locks on doors and we went out and when we got back we could not get in our room. got back at 10:45 and front desk is to stay open until 11, no one there. called emergency number on door, got no answer and finally the men putting in the new locks were on another floor and they let us in. during this time I went to someone else's room to use the bathroom and their ceiling in the bathroom was falling in. this place is a mess.i think we should have been given our money back. they hire an outside exterminator and he never came so they had someone who worked there to spray the next day. front desk never answered when we dialed zero and never got an answer and called long distance on our cell phones.

Room Tip: I saw nothing acceptable about this place. we will never be back there and if someone we know even m...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear lindag18,
We apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay at Summer Wind Inn & Suites. As noted in many of the Trip Advisor responses, Summer Wind is an older oceanfront property. Our staff strives to provide clean and comfortable accommodations. We are sorry that you encountered an issue with your air conditioner that was not addressed immediately. We also regret that you were inconvenienced by the installation of new guestroom locks. Sometimes, it is a bit of a juggling act to continue to improve the property without inconveniencing the guests. I have noted that the light housekeeping services were not more adequately discussed with you at the time of your reservation or check in. Again, we regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place is the ultimate dive! I am a mother of three boys and am accustomed to a little "yuck", but this place takes the cake. Room smelled horribly! Carpet sticky and nasty...had to keep shoes on all the time...killed a roach this morning...Get exactly what you pay for...If you're a pet owner and one that keeps your pets smelling nice and are looking for a pet friendly place...go elsewhere...the only reason we chose this motel was b/c it was pet friendly! My dogs stink now after one night in this place! Spend a little more, you'll be glad you did. Almost forgot...motel for partying types!! not family oriented..awakened both nights at 3:15 am.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Izzie_13,
We regret that you were dissatisfied with your lodging room at Summer wind Inn & Suites. While the hotel is not new, our entire team strives to provide a clean, comfortable room. All guest rooms are inspected by management on a daily basis. We will immediately identify your guestroom to research the issues that you mentioned. While not all of the carpeting is new, it is professionally cleaned according to best hotel operating practices. The hotel's pest control is outsourced to Eco-Lab, a leading hotel pest control company. While we have not received other, recent complaints since securing their services, we treat these complaints seriously and will follow up with them accordingly. We apologize that your lodging room did not meet your expectations.
Parkersburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked my room in April for the end of may and when I got down here they said my revs had been cancelled, in which I did not cancel , go to show me that they didn't check to see if it is the right person cancelling . last time I stay here, manager acted like I didn't know what I was talking, said I had wrong hotel I use to stay here a lot .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Misty578,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your TripAdvisor review. Regrettably, your reservation was cancelled in error. The front desk associate was able to find you accommodations in the same room type and the same rate. However, we apologize that your reservation was cancelled in error. We appreciate your past business, and will work harder to earn your future business.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay clean rooms everyone around us shared alcohol and things... Pool party Was great..... Store right to the left of the hotel .... Security was reasonable ... No room for trailers :/ met alot of great ppl there

• Stayed May 2013
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Sagg.star,
Thank you for traveling to Myrtle Beach over the Memorial Day holiday and for staying at the Summer Wind Inn & Suites. We appreciated you taking the time to comment on your experience and for noting that your room was clean. We hope to see you soon.

Been to Summer Wind Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!