Message from TripAdvisor:

Offers & Announcements
Summer Beach + Breakfast
Ranked #62 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Massillon, Ohio
“Room was same as photo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed June 30 to July 3. Our room was exactly as pictured. It was on the 5th floor and ocean front which was awesome. Our floor had a full patio (not just a small balcony) with 2 chaise lounges and 4 chairs. We had a full size stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot in our room and we cooked in our room. There are 6 parking levels for 15 floors. If you were unable to park there, they also had overflow parking across the street. Parking is tight, but we were able to park even with a big Traverse. One elevator was mostly down until our last day there. The change machine was out of service at the laundry area and you had to go across the street to get change. The ice machines are only on the even floors. There was entertainment a few nights which was fun. They have an outside bar. The kids had fun in the lazy river and pool.

Room Tip: the 5th floor ocean front rooms have a full patio in each room
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Polish first
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed in the Caravelle the first time in May 2012 and had a great experience (see previous review) during my stay, so my family and I thought we would stay again. What a big mistake! We checked in on Sunday, June 14, 2015 in the Executive Oceanfront suite for four nights. We arrived early at 10:30 am and was hoping to check in early. When I arrived to the registration desk, I was told our room was not ready and that management would call me when our room was available. No biggie. I felt rushed and there was no one behind me waiting in line. So we got our parking pass and bracelets so we could take advantage of the resort amenities right away.

The pool was crowded, but this was expected during peak season. However, there were ZERO available chairs and half of the chairs were empty with towels thrown on them while people were going to the beach.

So we decided to setup our own chairs/ umbrella at the beach. By 1:00 pm I decided to try to check into our room. Room still wasn't available. I was reassured that my room was guaranteed a 3:00 check in and someone would call me or I had the option of calling the front desk to check if my room was available.

OK... Back to the beach. By 2:30 I start calling as I am walking over to the front desk. NO ANSWER! To my surprise, the line from the hotel lobby was out the door and near Ocean Drive. So I wait and wait.

By 3:15 and frustrated, I made it into the lobby. As I am 3rd in line, I am watching as an older couple is being told about the property, all the amenities, directions to the ice machibne from there room etc. When it was my turn to be helped, again I felt super rushed. I definitely did not receive the same level of service the older couple just received.

My conversation went like this, Me: "I am checking to see if my room is ready? " Employee: "Name?" I proceeded to give her my name. Employee: " Yes. Your room is ready." She gave me my keys and said "Next!" I was livid!! I only had a few questions and she did not want to answer them. WHATEVER! I was happy to give my husband his key to get unpacked, while I head out to the grocery store.

When I got back, I couldn't find a place to park anywhere. I parked across the street and carried my cold items first. With my hands full, I reached the elevators and tried to get a lift to the 14th floor. The elevators were so packed, it took me 8 tries and still couldn't get on.

With my ice cream melting, I took the stairs fourteen floors up. The stairways are not air conditioned and I was covered in sweat by the time I made it to my room. Back down the stairs I went to get the rest of the groceries, across the street to do this all over again two more times. We have fours sons who can seriously EAT! What a nightmare!

The bad part is that the employees of the hotel do not have their own elevators to do their jobs. This must be the reason for the delay at check in. Therefore guests and employees have to share. The elevators are tiny and also not air conditioned, so be prepared to be stuck to a sweaty stranger, if you are lucky enough to even fit. Other wise, you take the stairs.

When I got the food put away, of course I start looking around. The room itself was decorated ok, but is very small with an incredible view of the ocean from the living room. The room wasn't ready as we were told, there wasn't any clean towels, wash cloths, hand towels or a shower curtain! I was so sweaty from my afternoon stair work out, that I washed off in the tub and used one of my sandy beach towels to dry off. About an hour later, we received them.

Everyday it was the same thing, wait 20-30 minutes for an elevator or take the stairs. Everyday the pool had not even one available chair at the pool. There was even a fight over the chairs poolside. Just what the children should see. Right?

Don't let me forget about the so called pool security. They will bombard you for a wristband, that you must show at all times. No big deal until, you forget yours once. Then you have to pack up all your things/kids, wait for another elevator for 20-30 minutes just to grab a wristband out of your room! Really?!? Another time, I was having a conversation and was rudely interrupted to ask to see my bracelet, while my child was sitting next to me I grabbed his and put it on! Geez! They should be more worried about people who are saving multiple chairs with their towels before heading to the beach and not using them!

On the upside, there was a poolside bar that had food and drinks for purchase and miraculously had chairs open to sit in. The food was good, but a little pricey and the menu was small. Burger $8 or hot dog $5 both served with chips Frozen drinks are $8-$10 each plus tip. The bartenders are friendly and actually care if you are enjoying your stay. One bartender was there on his day off and still came up to my family and I to say hey. Cool.

By the end of our stay, I started packing up our clothes. We put our clean in the drawers and put our dirty in the closet on the floor. Needless to say that was another huge mistake!!!

Nearly half of my children's clothes were ruined! There must of been a leak or something, but regardless our clothes were covered in an orangish, yellowish oikly substance all over.

Of course I tried calling the front desk, but they don't answer. I tried leaving an email on their website as well and of course NO RETURN email either. This place is poorly operated, most of the employees are rude and annoyed by you being in their way.We visit Myrtle Beach at least once a year, sometimes twice. I will NEVER EVER stay here again.

NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This used to be among our favorite places to stay on the Grand Strand. This is on the north end of Myrtle Beach, away from a lot of the hullaballoo of downtown Myrtle Beach. It is a large resort with a nice lazy river and pool area. The outdoor grill area serves great burgers and hot dogs that are very good. Security around the pool area is very good. You must have an arm band to use the pool, and the employees at the pool are vigilant about seeing that "pool hoppers" aren't allowed.

That said, this was the worst vacation we ever had there. I realize this was peak season, and we live in an age where customer service is severely lacking in every business that works with the public, because many employees just show up because they want to collect a paycheck.
We got to the hotel at 12pm and checked in. Our room was not ready but were told to enjoy the pool area until our room was available and they would call us. At 3pm, we went to the office and were told they forgot to call us, but the room was ready. No biggie. We got our keys and went to our room. We had to take the steps to the 9th floor, as the elevators were broken, except for 1. This has been the case in other years prior to this one, but we still loved this place and chose to stay again. Our keys didn't work. My hubs went to the office again to get another set and they didn't work either. The 3rd time he went to the office he had a manager come with him to be sure we could get into our room. This set of keys worked. (YAY!) When we got into our room, we heard a chirping sound, and realized the smoke detector's batteries were going bad, and then we realized that the tv in the bedroom wasn't working. The king mattresses at this hotel are wonderful and one thing we really enjoyed about this place was just watching tv in bed. The room was supposed to be an ocean front room, but it was not..However this was a mistake on our part. When my husband made the reservation, he looked at the pictures of the room but didn't see that there was a sun terrace in front of the balcony of our room, which didn't allow us to see the beach, but just the ocean; sort of like you would see if you were on a cruise ship looking out a port hole. We were really disappointed, but that was not the hotel's fault. That was our error. My husband tried calling the office to speak with the manager but was on hold for over 10 minutes, so he walked back to the office to see her again. He waited over there for another 15 minutes or so and then finally got in to see her. She was very understanding and tried to take care of the situation. She assured us that she'd have someone come and fix the smoke detector and tv while we were at supper and would have our things moved to another floor the next morning if we had our things all together when we went out for breakfast. When we got in that night, nothing had been done. I don't think that this was her fault. I don't think they had enough people working to take care of all the problems that had cropped up. My husband ended up disconnecting the smoke alarm so we could sleep and we just went to bed without watching tv. Very disappointing. The next morning at breakfast, I got a call that our new room was ready for us to move our things when we got back. I told her that we were told our things would be moved for us, and she said that they could do that......big lack of communication. Two elevators were working on the 3rd day we were there, and that was very helpful. I felt really sorry for those men and women who were working hard, but there were so many demands on them it seemed like there was not enough planning and thought put into being ready for the summer rush. For the money paid, there were too many problems to deal with. I hope that things will truly improve and the Caravelle will be restored to its former greatness But for now, if you are going to the Myrtle Beach area, save your money and find a condo instead. You will get a better value for your dollar.

Darby D, Manager at Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We value and appreciate your feedback. Your business is very important to us and we are disheartened to hear that your most recent visit was not what you have come to expect from our Caravelle Family. I have shared your comments with our management team for their action, comments, and staff training. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the elevators. We are happy to say that we have successfully completed repairs and all elevators are up and running. It’s an honor to hear that your family has considered the Caravelle one of your favorite places to visit on the Grand Strand. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to deliver the excellent service that you have experienced in previous years.
Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Pools were great!
Location was great!
Parking was difficult!! We drove a large, 4 door truck & struggled daily with parking.
Tiki hut & other outside restaurant by the pool were good & fun. Those that have shellfish allergies should not eat here, everything is fried in the same grease. My 2 yr has shellfish allergy so his options were VERY limited.
Service was outstanding!!!! We had a problem with our key card, they said someone would meet us at our door & they did within minutes.
Our room was clean & nice. Slightly small but we knew this at time of booking. Daily room service was great. They made the beds, cleaned bathroom & provided linens.
We will definitely go back.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Darby D, Manager at Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
it is great to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and thank you for praising our service and amenities. We invest a lot of time in effort to train our team to ensure the highest level of customer service. We have areas that are better suited for larger sized vehicles, so please let us know if parking is ever an issue in the future. On behalf of the Caravelle family, I would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments, and we look forward to serving you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Though I requested and booked a 3 BR villa, for our visit, none were available at checkin. I have to give credit to the checkin staff for getting us into an ocean front 2BR unit that had enough room to handle our needs.
This unit seemed quite aged and in need of updates but was comfortable enough for us.
All in all, we had a pleasant stay and may consider again along with shopping around.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Darby D, Manager at Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you had an overall pleasant stay. I apologize for the mix up the 3 bedroom villa that you requested, however I am pleased that your family was still comfortable with the accommodations. I want you to know just how much we value your feedback. We have recently inspected the unit that you occupied and have made changes, so that we may provide the very best in value and comfort to our customers. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you (and serving you) in the near future.
Aiken SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference downtown. I thought the hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were very nice and accommodating. The beach and pool nice. We have stayed in other hotels in the area, and this hotel was one of the better choices. It was also quieter than some of the larger hotels closer to the boardwalk. However, the elevators were terrible--slow or not working (we took the stairs every day). The parking garage is also a nightmare. The spaces are too close together and it is hard to turn around. Our room was a non-smoking room next to smokers, so we had cigarette and cigar butts on our patio everyday. So, overall, not too bad but make sure you get a room on a lower floor and avoid the elevators.

Room Tip: Lower floor room to avoid having to wait for the elevator.
Darby D, Manager at Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We really appreciate your positive comments regarding our property. The management and staff have work extremely hard to earn the the type of comments that you have made, and continue to work every day, to deliver the best hotel experience possible. We were unfortunately had one set of elevators out of service during your stay. We are happy to say all elevators are now up and running at 100%. We appreciate your business here at the Caravelle and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you!
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

When we walked in room 505 in the main building, we were amazed to say the least. Everything appeared clean and the room was nicely decorated. Essence, the clerk at the desk made checking in a breeze and pleasant experience. This resort offers so much and you are free to use any of the pools at the 9 adjacent sister hotels.

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Darby D, Manager at Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We always appreciate the positive comments left by the most important people in our world; our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff and have gone above and beyond. It is based on this feedback that we are able to deal with issues as well as pass along appreciation to our staff. Essence has been a valued addition to our team here at the Caravelle. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you (and serving you) in the near future.

Been to Caravelle Resort? Share your experiences!