“Wonderful Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
hickory, nc
“Wonderful Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

Beautiful facilities. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will definitely stay again.

• Liked — beautiful room with oceanfront view
  • Disliked — parking deck across the street
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at the Resort. I had read some the reviews, some positive, some not so positive. I would like to say that I was not disappointed at all! Our room was clean, and other than a little wear and tear on the walls from luggage, it was darned near perfect! I will complain, though, that people smoking on the balconies was a problem with me...both below us and beside us. This is a smoke-free property, so I would assume that since the balconies are on the property, they too would be off limits. I decided not to confront the issue, because we were having such a great stay, I didn't want any negativity. The people at the front desk were great and very helpful. I would note that the property could use a couple of palm trees to add to the ambiance. Housekeeping was no problem at all for us. We just left our sign out when we went out to breakfast and when we returned, our room was immaculate. The decor of the room was beautiful. We really enjoyed our stay. The weather wasn't so great, but we didn't care. We caught up on some much needed quality time and rest.

• Liked — comfortable bed!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

First of all, I want to say that after reading all these negative reviews, I was kind of scared to stay at the Anderson Ocean Club, but it turned out to be a blast! Its crazy what people complain about!

We arrived on Sat Oct 4th, around 11pm, our flight times were changed from AM to PM, so we kind of lost a whole day, but it sure beat driving 16 hours. We flew Myrtle Beach Direct Air, and got there in 1.5 hours! Let me say our flight was just as enjoyable as our stay at the AOC. We had a brand new airplane, to and from MB, leather seats, blue and purple lighting inside, TV's in each headrest, you could instant message to others seated around you, watch TV, listen to music and watch music videos and movies. It was PERFECT! Departed and arrived on time, if not a few minutes early.

Check-in was a breeze, mind you it was late at night. We were assigned room 1401, weren't really pleased with the bedroom facing the hallway, but when you think about it, who cares, you are really only in your room to sleep, and sometimes eat. So that didnt really bother us much. Everything in our room was immaculate! Beautiful furniture, all appliances in the kitchen worked great. The housekeeping staff stocked our kitchen full of coffee filters, dishwasher detergent and new dish cloths every day. We had regular housekeeping every day as well, new towels, the bed got made, our floors were cleaned. We couldn't be more pleased.

No complaints about the pool area, October being the "off-season" was nice too, not as many people were around.
I read in previous reviews that since it is non-smoking, everyone smokes at the pool, which is not true, there were no cigarette butts laying on the ground, and if people are going to complain about the pool area being too crowded, with smokers and what not, what about the thousands of feet of oceanfront beach?? And of course at the end of August-beginning of September there are going to be a lot of kids, school hasnt started yet! If you don't like lots of kids in the pool and teenagers having a good time, then put a pool in your own backyard!!!! That way you won't be bothered. It boggles my mind how people expect so much and complain about stupid things. Its not worth it.

Overall, the hotel was beautiful, the valet parking was convenient, if you are coming back with shopping bags, groceries, etc., you just get out of your car at the door and leave the rest to the staff. The $8/day is worth it if you can spend the extra bucks. The parking garage wasn't far either, maybe a few hundred yards from the front door. Nothing to worry about, and its not an "alley" you walk through to get there, you cross a parking lot! Woo hoo.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, with or without kids. Shopping is convenient, the hotel is just a couple blocks from Hwy 17 (the main strip), banks are close, drug stores etc. Couldnt complain about one thing!!

• Liked — Everything. Clean, nice landscaping, everything was convenient. Awakenings Spa is a MUST!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
columbia sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

I like to take my mom on a small vacation to Myrtle Beach once a year around August before the kids have to be back in school. We previously stayed at other hotels. But this year my husband was back from overseas and we needed to expand the rooms. We rented a (3) bedroom. When I walked in for a moment I thought I was rock-a-fellow. The granite tops, crown molding, (3) bathrooms and washer/dryer, it was awesome. This was our first time staying there. Let's just say it was much better than our previous years at Myrtle Beach. This place was great. It had everything we needed except it did not have a DVD player. Took a trip to Walmart and purchased a cheap one for about $30.00. Just make sure you bring yours. We stayed only three nights, wanted to extend another day but my oldest daughter had to get back to college for her senior year. Let's just say I was so impressed that I am planning my husband a couples retreat the weekend of 11 - 13 Oct. for his birthday. I want our friends to enjoy. I'm renting another (3) BR for (4) couples. We are going to have a ball.

• Liked — THE TOTAL SPACE IN THE SUITE. HAVING ROOM TO MOVE AROUND.
  • Disliked — THE PARKING WAS A BLOCK OVER, BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT SPACE ON THE BEACH IS BEST USED TO STAYING.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Just returned from long 4 day weekend at the Anderson. WOW! That's about all I can say. This hotel was unbelievable. We stayed on the 16th floor and we had a two bedroom oceanfront room. The first bedroom was near the front door. There were two queen beds and a full size bathroom. There two closets and the chest drawer had three oversized drawers. What I really liked about this room was there was a door from the hallway and bedroom that lead to the bathroom. The other bedroom was oceanfront with the same set up. But of course the balcony was off this room. I must say the balcony was huge. When they say kitchen, they mean kitchen. This was huge kitchen with full size refrig, stove, microwave and coffee maker. There was also a toaster and can opener. There were plenty of plates, coffee cups, bowls, glass and utensils. However, there was a lack of pots and pans. The living room had full size sofa and three chairs. The sofa made out to a queen bed but we didn’t use it. Also, there was the dining room table that sat 6. Did I mention the wonderful balcony. There were six plastic chairs and two plastic tables provided on the balcony. The furniture overall was very nice a heavy. By no means did the furniture look cheap like most hotels. Also, there is a washer and dryer but we did not use these.

The pool area is small and we did not use. But then again, when you look up and down from your balcony, this seems to be true with majority of the hotels.

Checking in took a little longer than expected since there was only one person working but no problem. The lobby is very small. When you pull into the “drop” off area, there is no room to park. There are about six spaces marked for 15 minute parking. They do have valet service; I must say it is worth every dollar. It is $8 a day and there is a button on your room phone that goes straight to the valet and by the time you get down stairs, your car is waiting. If you are no interested in using this service, the parking garage is straight across two blocks back. The porter, Mike, was wonderful. He unpacked our car and packed us up. He would give us suggestions as to where to eat and where to party. He was wonderful. The maid service was fine. Our rooms were always made up. Did not have any issue with the maid service.

The internet that is advertised is not wireless. My husband had to find a Circuit City and by a cord. Once he hooked up there were no issue. Funny how the room down the street advertised free wireless and The Anderson still had the “old” plug in type.

The ages varied from young and older. We had no issues with any people. The only negative I would say, the Tiki bar is no Tiki bar that I have been to. Looks more like a long trailer people sell hot dogs out of at gas stations. They did carry a variety of beer and alcohol and sofa drinks. Or you could be like me and take your “redneck” cooler with your own spirits-the ice buck from the room with ice and beer. All in all it was wonderful and I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Everything was wonderful
  • Disliked — I'm thinking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We just returned from a week-long stay at the Anderson Ocean Club and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had read both the good and bad reviews before going - so were a little unsure of what to expect. However, our vacation was made more enjoyable by the excellent service we received from everyone we dealt with.

We checked in very late in the day (about 10:30 PM) and so opted for the valet parking at $8/day. It was money well spent. The valet service was always prompt, polite and courteous. They were always quick to help us with loading/unloading, etc. And if we were only going to be a few minutes, there were a few 15-minute parking spots available. The parking garage is only one block from the hotel and we certainly wouldn't have minded the walk back and forth but splurged because we were on vacation.

Our room was a one-bedroom on the 14th floor with a wonderful ocean front view. Our teenage daughter was with us and loved the Murphy bed in the living room. Our unit was clean, roomy and well stocked. We had a couple of minor issues during the week that were fixed promptly by the maintenance staff and were also followed up by the front desk to make sure they had been dealt with. Because this was a unit with a full kitchen, I expected to have to do a certain amount of cleaning up myself after doing any cooking, etc. That being said, our housekeeper, Pamela P, treated us very well and kept the unit clean. Our request for an extra blanket was filled promptly by her. Both she and any other housekeeping staff that we encountered were always very nice and friendly.

The pool area was cleaned every morning. Some may think it is rather small. We were there "off season" so it maybe wasn't as crowded as it could have been. We had some minor problems with kids splashing water/spitting from one of the high floor balconies but this was dealt with immediately by the staff. We were greatly impressed by Mr. Burke (who unfortunately will be retiring next week) - he kept the pool area tidy and safe. He checked back with us a number of times to make sure we hadn't had any further issues with things dropping from balconies.

Overall we found the hotel to be clean and well-run, and the staff to be genuinely friendly. We received good service from everyone we had dealings with. Our only complaint was with some very noisy neighbors who were banging doors and shouting from the balconies late at night. In our view, this was simply due to their own lack of consideration and not a reflection on the hotel.

We will definitely return to the Anderson Ocean Club on our next trip to Myrtle Beach!

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbours
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Circleville Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

Our group recently stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club for a "Girls Week at the Beach". We were there from Sept.12 to Sept. 18, 2008. This was my 50th Birthday and also my daughter & niece's birthday. Our group consisted of myself, my 2 adult daughters, 2 sisters, Mom, niece and 2 friends. We had an oceanfront 3 bedroom condo, 3 baths, full kitchen, living area, washer /dryer and large balcony with chairs and had plenty of room for everyone. We were on the 6th floor and had a wonderful view of the ocean. The furnishings were very nice and the beds were so comfortable!! The hotel was beautiful!! The pools, hot tubs, lazy river and beach area were very nice & clean. The staff was always very friendly & helpful. The elevators were fast and you never had to wait very long.
The location was close to anything that you wanted to do. The weather was so nice and the ocean water was very warm. You don't have alot of crowds either. September is a great time to come to Myrtle Beach!!
I don't have a single complaint....Our stay was great and will definately go back to the Anderson Ocean Club!!!!!!!

Been to Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts? Share your experiences!