“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Forest, Canada
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here last week while hubby was playing at the World Am. They honoured the World Am discount and we sprang for the Ocean Front Corner Suite in the Suites building. Very quiet as we were on the top floor corner facing the ocean. Loved being able to sit out on the balcony and watch the action on the beach and the lazy river. We never used the pool, lazy river, or the umbrellas and chairs out front but it all looked very nice. All the housekeeping staff we met were very friendly and gave the privacy we wanted, but they made sure that they did all we wanted to.

Room Tip: Spring for the Ocean Front Corner Suites.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

938 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Dayton, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Having been staying at Dayton House for just about 20 years now, and once again an EXCELLENT stay. If you don't stay here, its your loss. GM Paul Garcia and his Staff are Wonderfull! The resort is very clean and you have plenty of room so you will never feel crowed. I hear to many people complain about parking..well what do you expect when you are staying at a Beach Front Resort..never had one problem finding a spot, yes you have to walk one block, but really all the Hotels on that street are the same, nothing to complain about. Also complaining about the kitchen being to small, once again not a problem..we cooked in it every night except for 3...plenty of room and kitchen ware to prepare whatever you like..we made Tacos, Spaghetti, Pork Chops etc. Tired of hearing about the Halls and Elevators being Hot...seriously people...are you spending your whole vacation in these two places??? Never had an issue with these as you basically stand in the hallway, get in the elevator and get off...so unless you are planning to sleep in these places, I wouldn't worry about it. Yes you are given an armband when you check in and yes you must have it on when you are on their property..once again no big deal. When your property is located next to a public beach access wouldn't you rather have the people who are staying at the hotel using the pools and tables than anyone off the street? I also love the fact that they have people going around to check, not a bother at all...so just put it on and deal with it. Great Snack shop with drinks, ice cream, hot dogs, burgers etc. And to those people who are complaining about the rates going up...have you checked the other hotels??? Everyone's rates went up this year, not just the Dayton House. We will be going back next year and will not hesitate to stay here!!! For those of you who book online, please make sure YOU understand what type of room YOU are getting, as there are 5 different areas. The West Building is cheaper and is NOT on the Beach Side of the street..don't blame the Dayton House because you cant read the room types. They are clearly stated on the web site. If you choose to go somewhere else you will be sorry, but if you are looking for a Great Family place, Family Owned, and Family Fun, I suggest you stay here! You will not be dissapointed!! Thank You Paul Garcia and Dayton House...my family and friends will always stay with you!!

Room Tip: Dayton House has 5 different buildings. If you book online please make sure you understand where yo...
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Last week we stayed at Dayton House our first time in Dayton House. It was beyond our expectations.. the rooms were bigger with most of the essentials, clean and very accessible to the beaches and other hotels. My nephew left left his wedding ring, we called the hotel when he realized that he had lost his ring... the staff went to the room several times to look for it, found and mailed it overnight. We especially thank Sharon, John and everyone else, they called us to give all the information tracking # etc. We would highly recommend anyone travelling to North Myrtle beach to stay in this wonderful place. Thank you Dayton House for your outstanding service. Thank you for making our stay in Dayton a memorable one!!!!!!!!!

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed at the Dayton House for a number of years. I have always found the rooms to be very clean, which is a priority with me. The kitchen area is small, but when at the beach, I don't plan on cooking a full course meal. It's very adequate for making sandwiches, soup, small meals, or warming up leftovers.
The location is excellent and I like the outdoor area with lounge chairs and tables with umbrellas. Everyone has always been helpful and friendly.
The Dayton House doesn't boast for being a high end resort, but for providing a family friendly and safe, clean resort. I've never been disappointed!
Thank you Dayton House for once again making my stay at the beach a great one!

Room Tip: I enjoy an ocean front room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying at the Dayton House for about 29 years. There were 2 times when going with others I ended up staying elsewhere in MB and only found myself disappointed and returning to DH!! My last stay was the best ever. Great
staff, great amenities, great pools, etc, It was a FANTABULOUS stay!!

• Stayed August 2012
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have stayed at the Dayton House for years, since my daughter was young. It has been 3 years since we have been to Myrtle Beach. We were planning on going to Myrtle Beach last year (2011) and had made reservations at the Dayton House. However, a week before we were to go, a hurricane was headed straight toward the Carolina's. Being very concerned about going there, I called the Dayton House to see what we should do about our reservations and deposit that we had made. I was told that we could only get our deposit back if there was a manditory evacuation. Who in their right mind would go down there during a hurricane threat? This did not sit well with me at all. He finally told me that I could use that deposit toward a stay for this year. So, since we didn't want to lose our deposit, we decided to make reservations there this July 2012. I called and spoke to the desk and explained our situation from last year. He then told me that he couldn't find anywhere that I had a credit. Luckily, I had the confirmation e-mail from last year and he finally agreed to give me the credit. However, this was only the start of a disappointing stay.

We usually stay in the West building (across the street). However, this year, we opted to stay in an angle-view room on the beach side. Thinking that the room was going to be nice and clean, we were wrong. The cleanliness of the room and the general condition of room was not what it should have been. There was black mold around the tub, debris (disgusting) left on the floor from the previous guests, worn sheets with rips in them, and a large hole (baseball size) in the blanket. I could not believe we were paying almost $200.00 a night for this. My daughter went down to the desk and complained and they offered us a free breakfast for 3 at the restaurant across the street. They said they would have the cleaning person come and check the room. She did the next day, but as I watched, she still didn't do a thorough inspection and just did a quick clean-up. I ended up having to point out the debris that was on the floor or it would have still be there.

After a few days after we got home, I received a survey from the Dayton House. I explained what had happened and sent it back. Within a short time, I received a reply, appologizing for what had happened and that they were crediting our credit card with one night's stay. I really appreciated that gesture, however, with all this frustration of the deposit and the condition of the room, we plan on finding another place to stay the next time we go to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Franklinville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our family and I (wife and two boys, 6 and 4) recently moved to Wilmington, NC from South Jersey, the boardwalk capital of the world. With Myrtle being 2 hours or less, we've been anxious to see it. We just returned from three weekdays staying in room 743 of the South building of Dayton House Resort. From this room, 7th floor up, you have a great view of the ocean, and the pier besides the Sky Wheel, which is almost all blocked by the line of hotels in between, but can be clearly seen from on the beach. The room is fine, and has a mini-kitchen with stovetop, oven, small microwave, small sink, and a good sized apartment fridge. Stocked with a few basic dishes, bowls, plates, plenty of silverware, and a few pots and pans. If you want a bigger pot, say for boiling corn on the cob, bring it with you. We saved money by having a few simple meals inside the room. Possibly my only issue with the room design is the bathroom setup (large sink is outside the toilet and tub shower). I wish it wasn't so cramped, especially with the large entry space surrounding the room's door and bathroom sink. Fortunately, light from the bathroom or main entryway can be used as a nightlight without being too bright for sleep. One other dis-honorable mention is the set into the room air conditioner unit was rattling when the condensor came on. Sometimes you can set something heavy on top of the cover to make it stop, but not this unit.

Unfortunately, something really weird happened to me along the lines of vertigo and I was no good the first day we arrived. Wife and kids though had a great time in the resort's pools and mini-lazy river as well as its hot tubs. The largest main pool, in front of both the South building as well as the smaller building with the office in front of it, is a zero depth entry on one side to about 5-6 ft on the other side. Just adjacent, in the building north, is a half indoor, half outdoor rectangular pool. There is a round jacuzzi there, and another clover-shaped jacuzzi on the south side of the main pool. In between there is a snack bar with adult beverages. I didn't partake with whatever ailed me, but I believe I saw mini buckets of icee drinks for $6. Cross the public beach access parking lot (just a small pathway closer to the Dayton House hotels) south is another Dayton House building with a miniature lazy river. It's only 2 feet deep so you don't have to worry about little guys. A good amount of innertubes were provided. Also there is an indoor jacuzzi, as well as another indoor long, thin freeform shaped pool. Plenty of pools to choose from! By the middle of the second day, my vertigo went away, Thank God! Kids enjoyed another day in the pools and I was able to join them. I should note what many others probably have here that there are no pool towels. Definitely recommended to bring your own beach towel.

That night we walked on the beach (and Ocean Blvd back to Dayton House) about 4 blocks down to Bummz Beach Cafe' a great place to have a drink (if you don't have a bizarre 24-hour case of vertigo), watch the ocean, listen to live singer/musicians, grab a burger, throw some corn-hole, Lots of outdoor and indoor tables. Cool place. If you choose to drive, parking is across the street (Ocean blvd) next to souvenir store # 27,000 (seriously, worse than Starbucks in Myrtle and North Myrtle Beach!!!). The next day we went to Myrtle Waves water park (I'll probably review that as well here on Trip Advisor) and then came back and had a quick dinner in the room.

Next day was checkout. The hotel let us swim after checkout. We packed up and kept a change of clothes out. There is a small single bathroom beside the large main pool. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be one beside the lazy river building. Had a few nice brief chats with the room cleaners, they seemed really friendly. And they re-stocked room towels every day, which is what every hotel should do!

Dayton House was a pleasant surprise. We decided to take a gamble with a web site that gave a discounted rate for a surprise one of three hotels of their choosing. We were very happy with the result and there would be nothing that would sway us from coming back, although we might choose to stay at least one night in the future close to the Sky Wheel and boardwalk area, which we didn't get to during this trip. This hotel is about 10 blocks away. However, there is plenty of parking.

I should note, it's not obvious on any Myrtle Beach web sites, there is a large public parking garage at the corner of 9th Ave and Kings Hwy (bus. 17), not too far of a walk from all the boardwalk stores on Ocean Blvd. and the Sky Wheel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dayton House Resort? Share your experiences!