“False advertising.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #59 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“False advertising.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I am staying here through vrbo. Before I booked the condo I checked the resort website, reviews, etc.
Everything sounded wonderful. We get here November 10 and get the kids ready to go to the "indoor" pool....and there is NONE! There is a covered pool area with heated pools but they do not put up the walls until December 1. The ocean breezes blow through the covered pool area and make you freeze. Nowhere on their website says that. It says "INDOOR " pool. The weather is very cold and we can't get in the pools. The kids are very disappointed and had the website clearly communicated the pool situation we would have definitely stayed elsewhere that knows the definition of an indoor pool. If you have children that want to swim do not stay here before December 1.
As far as the rest of the resort it is clean and would have been perfect for us if they would have had an indoor pool as the website had said.

• Stayed November 2012
GrandAtlanticManager, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
We are sorry if this reviewer felt the way our pool area is described as false advertising. We certainly do not intend to mislead our guests in anyway. It is important to us that all guests are comfortable and feel confident in their travel decision. The pool has been managed in this way since the resort has opened and I do not recall any other concerns being raised about this.

The pool is fully enclosed for most of the year. During hurricane season we are required by federal regulations (as are other hotels/resorts in Myrtle Beach) to remove the glass wall that completes the enclosure of the pool. These regulations prohibit us from putting up the final wall until December first. Usually, this is not a problem as the pools are heated to between 88 and 90 degrees and the average high temp in Myrtle Beach in November is 65-70 degrees. Unfortunately, over the past few days we have had unseasonably cool weather with strong winds. Had the weather been more average, most likely the absence of the last wall would not have been a concern to this reviewer. As they were very pleased with the resort otherwise I am hopeful they will return. Should you have questions or concerns regarding our pools or any other resort amenities, please feel free to call us at anytime.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
sumter,sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here on a girly weekend with my mom(72), sister(50), and friend(31). We booked the 3 bedroom with 3 baths. The room exceeded our expectations. It is pretty much like the 3 bedroom condo that we usually book - just newer and nicer. The staff was great - housekeeping was awesome. I had a dead battery on Sat morning and the front end guy helped me find a jump off and even located the closest service center for me. The beds were comfy, the kitchen had everything you needed, the pools looked nice and clean, loved the balcony wall is made out of glass/plexi - so you can see right thru it. The only complaint I have - is the furniture in the living room was really hard and almost "trailer" like. It did not match with the other furniture that was throughout the rooms.
An added plus - is when you stay at this resort - you get a "customer appreciation" card that gives you 5 dollars off here -- free appetizer here -- and even free admission to Wild Water in Wheels.

We will def be back!

Room Tip: The higher you are - the better your view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Been staying here twice a year since 2010 on our semi annual golf trips. always been impressed with the amenities and up keep of the building. recently I left a parcel behind and they arranged to have it sent to me. no sweat. they went out of their way and it is greatly appreciated. Will be back in the spring.

Room Tip: The higher floors have the best view. Room 1203 is spectacular!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your continued patronage of our resort. Repeat business is the highest compliment we can receive. It was our pleasure in assisting you in taking receipt of your parcel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hamilton Ont.canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for the first time for the month of oct.after staying at another mb. hotel for the last 25+years.The move was a great one. The front end staff and gen.manager were just great and adressed all our needs.the 3br.unit we had left little else to want for.The pools and overall outside area were very well maintained and their was always lots of lounges available.parking in the ramp was great being able to park outside our room was a great plus.a great place to stay can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
It was a pleasure having you as our guest for the past month. We appreciate your business and thank your for bringing many of your friends with you to the resort. October 2013 is a mere 11 months away, we'll be here ready to serve.
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had a great time with my family. Everything was great. Staff was friendly, units were quite large and the pools are fantastic. My kids spent more time in the pools than at the beach. Great views and convenient location to everything in Myrtle Beach. We were upgraded to a larger room for free. We had a great time.

Room Tip: The views are better above the tenth floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. When the kids are having fun, then everyone is happy! Very glad they enjoyed the pools and that we were able to enhance your experience by offering an upgrade to a larger unit.
Lincolnton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and although it is a older hotel the place was great. The room was clean and the view from the balcony was awsome! The room had a full kitchen so that helped with food cost, it also had a washer and dryer in the room as well. You step from the hotel right on to the beach. The indoor and outdoor pool was well kept. The staff was friendly and very helpfull. If your looking for a great place at Myrtle Beach to stay with your family I would highly recommend the Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort.

Room Tip: The hotel has different room size to accomodate from a small family to a large one. The room I had...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hey Everyone!

I would love to leave you with the title, but I would be selling this resort short!

Upon first arrival at the hotel/resort, you will have to check in, then find parking. The staff at the front desk are certainly friendly, but after you check in, you achieve what I call hotel independence(apartment style living). The parking is based on a few separate floors which are above ground, which I found to be somewhat difficult, regarding the tight parking spaces. However once you find a spot, and get accustomed to the parking style, it gets somewhat easier.

Depending on which room you get, it will obviously vary in size, view, and all the basics. But after visiting various rooms, many of them being different sizes (1 bedroom - 3 bedroom apartments), it is not difficult to see similarities in each room. They are all pretty standard and uniform when compared to each-other, but none the less, it is a very clean and modern resort. The rooms are provided with all the basic amenities. The resort is relatively new, so all the rooms are up to date. The kitchens are provided with all the essential items (fridge, stove, etc) and it is all very clean upon first arrival. Each and every bedroom has a tv, which you may set a DVD player, xbox, etc, up to. I am tempted to go on about all the little items in the rooms (kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms) but you can get the gist of it in the photos. You are able to get maid service, but it does not come standard every day, it must be arranged. Each room also has a balcony with a lovely view of the ocean, perfect for watching the sunset and all that jazz. (Beeutiful views!)

Attached to one of the parking floors, stands a convenience store. Do not get too excited! It sells all the basics (pops, snacks, souvenirs), but not the total variety of a 7/11. Do not worry though! There are many convenience stores around the resort, just a quick walk across the street. Please don't even get me started on all the beach stores laying around Myrtle Beach!

Now, once you are settled in to you room, which is very warming and cozy, you now have the time to see the pools! When you enter the pool area, which is inside (where the 1st two pools are), you will see the small lazy river and the wading pool. The lazy river is a short zig zag(circle) withholding warm water. Tubes are available beside the lazy river, unless you choose to go tubeless, which I got looks for :P. Beside the lazy river is the small wading pool (still inside), it is a uniform 1ft deep, with warm water, and some toys for your children etc.

Heading outside, there are another two pools. There is a small splash pad type wading pool (sorry for my bad description of this! I don't know how to explain this pool, the pictures will show you!) it also is around 1ft deep. Close beside, and also outside, is the standard swimming pool. It is much cooler than the pools inside, and has varied depth. The gate/walkway to the beach is just steps away from the pools, perfect for a long walk on the beach. While I walked the beach with my feet dragging in the ocean, I could just hear the smooth jazz play out in my head. The sun was perfectly setting and a surge of body heat flushed my body, giving you that comfortable and peaceful feeling (Maybe it was all in my head :P ).

Now, I could list off the countless activities and places to visit in Myrtle Beach, but if I did that, you would be reading a three inch thick book. I would definitely recommend visiting the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk and Promenade, it is full of exciting shops, restaurants and different activities. I personally believe that the boardwalk is a great 'All-in-one' visit, probably perfect for visiting over a night or two! It is visually stunning and incredibly fun! Certainly check out the website!Other than the boardwalk, please go eat some seafood somewhere! Go visit any type of crab shack, or something along those lines.

So all in all, I traveled with my family (two parents, two sons), and it was a great resort. It was incredibly clean and well priced for the location and value you are getting with the rooms/resort. Definitely recommended for families, or even couples, it provides hospitality for a great spectrum of people!

Please feel free to ask me any question about the resort or places to visit! I will give you a descriptive and clear response, as I have researched a lot of the information surrounding these resorts/cities! :)

- Jon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wow, what a well-written and detailed report of your stay. Thank you so much for sharing. Your review will help many travelers with their resort choice. A special thanks for your acknowledgement of the cleanliness of the resort. Our housekeeping department strives for the ultimate in arrival cleanliness.

Been to Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!