“Mediocre at best, disappointing obstacles” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 135 Activities in Myrtle Beach
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
Michigan
“Mediocre at best, disappointing obstacles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We are visiting Myrtle Beach around Christmas time. Due to the weather, there are limited things to do. We decided to try a few mini golf courses because we do like them, and Myrtle Beach has quite a few to offer. We went to Captain Hook's first due to the good reviews on tripadvisor and on Google.

The courses weren't bad, but they were definitely disappointing. There seemed to be a lack of obstacles and creativity in the courses. A couple of the holes on the two different courses seemed like mirror images of others. The course was clean, well kept and the decorations did not disappoint. However, I dont think that the quality of the course should be decided because of Peter Pan. I suppose we left the course somewhat satisfied, but it definitely left us disappointed after all the reviews we read. We went to Mt. Atlanticus a few miles down the road the next day and found this course incredibly more fun and challenging. We would not visit Captain Hook's again, but we would definitely visit Mt Atlanticus.

Aiken, South Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“I felt like a kid again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I was with a group of me and my boyfriend, my 15 yr old niece and my 10 year old nephew. We went to Captain Hook's at night (in the dark) when it was sprinkling. We had a blast. We played BOTH courses, started with the "Lost Boys" and then did the other course with the pirate ship too. The fog and the skull were super-cool, and all the little scenes inside were fun to look at while other people were putting. I loved the holes in the caves, and the pirate ship...It all seemed very real and fun without being too scary. I would bring a camera because the pirate ship is a cool photo op.

I liked the skull cave the best on the lost boys course, and I don't really think there was anything i didn't like!

Nashville, TN
8 attraction reviews
“Best mini-golf in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I simply can't understand the love for Mt. Atlanticus around here. That place is dingy and badly in need of repair. However, Captain Hook's is the absolute cream of the crop of mini-golf in MB. With a coupon, it's only seven bucks to play, which is a steal. I love the theme of both courses (although The Lost Boys course is cooler looking, IMHO) and the difficulty is just right. The greens look like they could have been put down a month ago; I'm consistently amazed at how CLEAN this place always looks! Well worth the time to try!

Dayton, Ohio
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Our family of four with two teenage boys played both courses and thoroughly enjoyed it. The entire course is fun and clean, with lots of unique things to look at along the way. We highly recommend it!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fun evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

My wife and I and our seven-year-old spent a nice evening at this mini-golf course. We had an hour and 45 minutes before closing at 9pm on a Sunday in late October. This gave us just enough time to complete one of the 18 hole courses, Hook's Challenge. (The other is Lost Boys.)

Even though it was the off-season, things backed up a little because of some larger groups, but things moved along ok, and there's enough pirate scenery to keep the seven-year old entertained.

This place is above average, but not super great, at least to me. There weren't many "gadget" type holes--like windmill blades blocking the way, or something like that--which I like. There were a few where the ball goes down one hole and comes out into another area, which was kind of fun. The rest of the holes were pretty vanilla. The best thing about this location is that it looks well maintained. The greens are not ragged, the plants are well trimmed, everything is clean, etc. The Peter Pan theme is done nicely, as well.

Tips:
1. Take extra balls with you from the entrance office (if you can), not just one per person. There is at least one place where the ball can just roll into the blue-tinted water if you are not careful.

2. If your kid wants to stop at this course just because of the giant smoking skull head. Make sure you play the Lost Boys course, because that is the one that goes through it. (Though, the other course has a pirate ship, so they are probably even.)