“Great Tapas Bar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy

Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy
740 Coastal Grand Circle, In Restaurant District of Coastal Grand Mall, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
+1 843-448-5533
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 760 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
Massachusetts, USA
“Great Tapas Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our 4th visit to this restaurant and each time it seems to get a little better. We enjoy eating at the bar, and this place has a great bar scene. Not to mention that they whip up a really decent Manhattan and an equally delicious Sangria. They have a great Happy Hour menu that includes several Mexican favorites such as Quesadillas & Tacos but also stuffed mushrooms, and stuffed shrimp. Tonight out bartender was Nate who was extremely personable, friendly, but also a great mixologist. The place is always packed so expect a short wait, but it's packed for a reason, don't miss it.

• Visited July 2014

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went here during a tropical storm so it was unusually busy. We told our server who looked stressed to the max to take her time bc we had nothung else to do. Lunch took 2 hours but we had a wonderful time and loved the food and drinks. .highly recommended!

Burnsville, North Carolina
“Taco Bell is better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This place was SUPPOSED to be rated the #1 Mexican restaurant in the USA, but I think whomever it was that rated this place was either drunk or high. There was not one think that I liked about this place except for the fancy décor and appearance of both the outside and inside, so I guess I paid almost $50 for two people to enjoy the view. From the moment we sat down and started to look at the menu I felt rushed like the waiter was just in a really big hurry and we were the last of her concern. We ordered our drinks and were sitting there looking at the menu (it hadn't even been five minutes)and I think I had taken maybe a sip out of my drink and she rushes back over and took my original drink and said "here's you a fresh drink"...I was like umm okay (thinking that it was really weird she just took my drink) and then she asked us again if we were ready to order, so we did. I got the enchiladas because that is usually what I always order at any Mexican restaurant. They had seven choices to choose from and to pick any 4 was over $15. I got a cheese, chicken, spinach, and avocado one. After ordering she then brought us a bowl of chips and three different salsa's which she then explained what they were..one was extremely hot, the other was mild (which was really just a milder version of the extremely hot one) and then one that was suppose to be sweet because it had pineapple in it, but yet it was still pretty hot not much on the sweet side. I didn't really care too much for any of the salsas so I just sat there and nibbled on the chips. By then I was already down over half on my drink from just trying the salsas and them burning my mouth so about 20 minutes or so later our food came out. I was just seriously hoping that the salsa and chis was not an indicator of what was to come for the main dish, but sadly it was. Just looking at the plate I was terribly disappointed. I had just paid $15 for this and I was expecting it to come with at least shredded lettuce, sour cream, and maybe tomatoes, hopefully queso cheese on top because every where I have ever ordered enchiladas before has came that way, but nope...nothing. All it was just enchiladas covered in sauce with some re-fried beans on the side. I was like well it can't get any worse and by that time I was completely out of drink and wishing that I had that one she had just rudely taken for no reason at the beginning of the meal. Really wanting some drink about now, I figured that while waiting I would test out the chicken one. There was MAYBE a tablespoon of chicken inside of it and it was literally drowning in red sauce. After one bite I was begging for some drink but our waitress was no where in site, in fact we never seen her again until I had almost finished the plate, but I was almost in tears by then from the heat of the red sauce, having no drink, and realizing that this meal had just cost us over $40 for two please to eat and I was so disappointed. I will never go back here. Everything about this place was just awful and a warning to whomever does decide to eat here... you better glue your drink to the table unless you want them to take it and never see another one. This doesn't even taste like authentic Mexican food...maybe taco bell just really fancy and over priced is more of what they are going for.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Abuelo's is worth a try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This restaurant has a large menu. Many items to choose from. I had the 10 ounce rib eye steak with enchiladas. It was very reasonably priced at $18. The steak was excellent, prepared medium rare as ordered. The shredded beef and shredded pork enchiladas were very good. Served with beans and mashed potatoes. My partner had a quesadilla, served with 2 sides. Not your typical quesadilla as this one is oven baked with cheese on top, not pan toasted with cheese inside. Depends on your taste preference. Chips and 3 types of salsa are served free and refilled promptly. There are 2 red salsas and one green. No big winners for me in the salsa department, I prefer a more chunky salsa. These are thinner with smokey flavor. The green is the most interesting, perhaps a mango flavor. This restaurant gets busy at dinner time, and is worth a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“*****”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is a five stars restaurant. Excellent food, excellent décor, excellent service, excellent value and excellent manager.