“Roach motel, terrible service...” 1 of 5 stars

You added Southern Breeze Motel to your Saves list
Southern Breeze Motel
1901 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #95 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Roach motel, terrible service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

My family and i checked out this morning, technically, though the manager refused to refund my money for the next 3 nights. First, let me say that the room was ok, but everything was outdated. Second, the elevator is slow and has a terrible smell. We arrived on Saturday, and everything was going ok, and we had the opinion that hey, you get what you pay for. That was until this morning, when my 9 month old daughter woke me up at 2 am crying. When i checked on her, i found a cockroach in her crib! I was horrified. My wife looked up and saw another one scurrying down the wall across from our bed. When she sat up, she saw another on our blanket! We spent the next 6 hours cleaning everything and packing all of our stuff waiting for the office to open. I killed one roach and saved it to show the office personnel. When the office opened, i took the napkin to the office, told the gentleman that i had a problem, and asked him if he could tell me what i had in the napkin. He said smuggly, "a bug?" I replied, "No, not a bug, a cockroach." I told him that i wanted to speak to the manager. He called him on the phone, and the manager stated that he would reimburse me for one night of the 3 remaining. I stated that was not good enough. He stated then that he would reimburse me 2 nights, and that was the best he could do. I told him to give me back the 2 nights and I will be sure to write bad reviews when i get home. Once I said that, he stated that since I threatened him, he would not be refunding any money. My wife and sister-in-law attempted to talk to him, and he stated that our children should not matter and that for all he knows, we brought the cockroaches with us. This was the worst experience ever!

• Stayed August 2012

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Roanoke, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband Tim and I stayed here last week from Roanoke VA. It is a nice budget hotel. We are going to stay again August 14 for 10 days. I am on a budget and rather spend my money going places i.e. hair, nails, massage, shopping, eating etc ...and I can overlook anything but the View of the Beach and being able to hear it at night while I sleep. The Towels and Sheets were clean. The rooms were pretty big and clean but a little dusty. If I had asked for someone to correct it the management would have sent someone to assist. The Beds were very comfy too - firm but not hard. I wonder if I can bring a flat screen TV with me next time? Can someone let me know? The maintenance man was very good at attending to the pool. Some other hotels up and down the beach were pretty Loud and I was really happy I was here. Missed having a hot tub but Yes I will stay again. PS I did not see any little critters and I looked very hard...lol
Tim and Tennie

Room Tip: 203 was great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sevierville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've seen reviews of people who have stayed here many years and love it. Perhaps this place has gon drastically down hill. This was our first stay and our last. The lady at the front desk and our house keeper were very friendly. That was the only positive. The room was shabby and my husband complained of the smell. I am not afraid of older motels IF they are clean. We found a dead roach in the tub. When my husband took it down to the front desk the first thing the guy said was "it's not a roach." Before we even said anything about roaches. Of course it WAS a roach. He didn't even apologize. Pest control came out and sprayed that day. We later killed another roach on our balcony. On our last night we killed a third roach on our night stand. If we knew the price included pets we would have brought our dogs.

• Stayed June 2012
Wharton, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have stayed hear 3 or 4 times and I would recomend it. I enoyed my stay and I'm and coming back there this JULY and staying 1 week I can't wait!!!. The view of the ocean is just breath taking. I bringing my Fiance this time and she has never been to the beach she is going to love it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I have stayed at the Southern Breeze 3 times, and each time I loved it!! The staff are great, they make you feel quite at home!! My husband's family has been staying there for many many years, so they must be doing something right!! My kids always have a great time when we go, and the view of the ocean and the sunrises are amazing! I have to say, I will be back, and I hope for many many years too!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Duncannon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and i have been staying here for 24years, look forword to every Oct.We meat the same group of friends every year at this time, David and stapf are always pleasant and ready to help, hello Mary .see yall in 2012 Mel&Barb.

Room Tip: corner rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Gretna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our family of four stayed here for our annual summer vacation from Aug. 5th to Aug. 14th. We have stayed here a few times in the past and have had good experiences. We had our wedding this year in North Myrtle on Aug. 6th, and spent the rest of the week at the Southern Breeze with the kids. The motel is older, but they do a very good job of keeping it tidy. My wife's parents wanted to spend one more day at Myrtle after our wedding, we offered our extra bed in the ocean front room, and informed the front desk, she told us where they could park, no problem. Any problems I experienced during our stay were quickly taken care of. A television remote that wouldn't work properly, just a short trip to the front desk and they gave me another to use, no problem. When we had a clogged toilet, it was just a few minutes later that someone came up, no problem. I watched them clean the pool every morning. The maid always asked if there was anything we needed when we seen her in the hallway. We had a wonderful stay and honestly hated to leave! We will be back next summer, and are already making plans to stay at the southern breeze for 2 weeks instead of our usual one week stay! Without smaller family owned and budget friendly motels like this one, that long of a stay would not be possible for us. The only amenity I could recommend adding is wi-fi. Thank you Southern Breeze and we will see you next summer!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SouthernBreezeMotel, Front Desk at Southern Breeze Motel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Thank you for staying with us again this year!

We are always looking forward to having guest that understand that with low rates comes an older property. We have always felt we give guest a nice clean place to stay at very competitive rates.

As you have seen we have done many renovations over the past few years and we are hoping that WI-FI will be available in the upcoming year. We realize more people are requesting that option and we are looking into it.

We look forward to seeing you again next year and thank you for staying at the Southern Breeze Motel!

Been to Southern Breeze Motel? Share your experiences!