“Christmas at the beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Sea Watch Dr., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #71 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Christmas at the beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Spent Christmas time here at SeaWatch with the family. The first time we stayed here, we were fortunate enough to get a 2 bedroom Tower room. This time we were booked in Villa One (3br/2ba), top floor (meaning the 4th), and let me just say...these are in need of some updates. What repair work had been done..wasn't done with professionalism. The couches were plastic"y" feeling and not very comfortable and the windows in bedrooms only opened like 1 or 2 inches! That's ridiculous!!! I want to hear the ocean at night and get fresh air at the same time. Kitchen needs an overhaul too. No kitchen sink sprayer..irritating when trying to clean the sink or dishes.

On the other hand, it has this adorable, cottage feel that has plenty of space. The view was still great from this Villa with quite a large balcony. And, as always, very clean! Loved the bedrooms!

As for pet owners and smokers, they have a strict policies. Absolutely no pets and no smoking allowed in rooms or even on balconies. They have a few designated areas for smokers.

Room Tip: Higher up on Towers is always good. Even though we had a few things to say about the Villa...it was...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed here over Christmas as a Wyndham owner. First let me say the room was very nice and when we wanted to stay an extra night nothing was available in the Wyndham owned section so we stayed in one of the rental rooms. We were very happy to get something last minute and only $117. There was definitely a difference in quality of linens and furniture, but it was well worth the money and the staff was very accomodating in keeping us in the same building and letting us check in early so it didn't waste our day switching rooms.

Now the down side. We were extremely disappointed when the floor plan on line was nothing like the room. I understand they say they are not all the same, but apparently Wyndham only owns a few floors and have only 1 or 2 of the plan shown on line. We chose this location because of the floor plan. If you're choosing the 2 bedroom deluxe don't expect to have a balcony door off the master. The one on line should be representative of the inventory.

We never go to the Owner "updates" at these, but were suckered in on the premise that our home location maintenance fees were going up and they could help us transfer to a different location to get away from that. What a scam, the only way to do that would be to invest more than twice as much as we already had. Also the amount they were quoting us was only a piece of the fee and was an annual amount not a monthly amount. They were trying to say our fees were going from $30-$117/mo when it was actually $37. Apparently they're having trouble getting people to go to the update so tried a new creative approach. I was so mad at being suckered into wasting an hour of my vacation not to mention the fact that they lied to us.

Summary, I would probably stay again only because it's close to where my daughter lives, but I would probably pay the rental price and save my points for somewhere else. I might take my own linens though. Location was great. Right next to Tanger Mall, grocery stores etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Traveled to S.C. for Thanksgiving to meet up with family and enjoy the beach. This was our first time doing this kind of holiday stay and we had never been to SeaWatch.

Our check-in experience was quick and very pleasurable. We arrived early, which didn't seem to be a concern. Staff was helpful and enthusiastic. The place was already decorated for Christmas - very festive - and each department had decorated a tree in a staff competition.

The location was great - very close to Tanger Outlets for the girls and right on the beach for all to enjoy. The weather was great, so the beach became very inviting for long walks. And he sunrise was spectacular.

The hotel had 4 pools, multiple hot tubs and two lazy rivers that were very popular with guests due to the warm weather. Very nicely laid out.

The room was clean, yet somewhat dated. Our view included the pools, the beach plus the expansive RV park next door. The room had a full service kitchen with all the right cookware, plates and utensils making our Thanksgiving dinner a real treat.

We would gladly return, but I know we'll try out other Wyndham locations in the next years.

Room Tip: Ask hotel staff for recommendations, based on size of group. We were in Tower 2. Tower one rooms abo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

First the pro's to this resort. The grounds are kept and manacured. The cons: We stayed in a one bedroom oceanfront room. The rooms are very small and you cannot if you wanted to fit two people in the bathroom at the same time. The beds were so bad that my husband slept in a dip and it felt like I slept on a slope. My husband could hardly move the next morning. We asked for a different room and she gave us the keys to different rooms. (Same type. no upgrade allowed) We picked the best out of three. Still the beds were horrible. They said that the rooms were just remodeled. I couldn't tell it. Also, when I made my reservations I had read that breakfast was included. It was not. That amenitie disappeared.

We have stayed in many hotels in Myrtle Beach and this is one that I would not return to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Port St Lucie, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Loved our condo in the North Tower. The checkin staff were very friendly. The condo had all the amenities I expect including dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent (no dryer sheets) and paper towels. We had a few minor problems which were resloved promptly by maintenance and housekeeping. There was also a followup call to ensure our problem/request was resolved.

The beach is beautiful and the pool area clean. There is also a tiki bar in the pool area for drinks. You will never starve in Myrtle Beach, there is every chain restaurant you can think of and many more local ones. There is also a lot of activities for the kids in the area (reminds me of a mini Disney). Per Tripadvisor restaurant review, Ultimate California Pizza was excellent and inexpensive.

Great stay and will return to this property

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Matthews, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at Seawatch based on good reviews. And we needed some place in that location. When we arrived, attendants at front desk were friendly and helpful. Was not impressed by the rooms. Cleanliness is very important to me, and the Seawatch did not meet my standards. There was a strange smell in the room. The bed wasn't gross, but it was old and the bedding was old. However, I wasn't expecting too much bc this isn't a luxury resort.
The property is beachfront which is convenient, and we had a great view of the pool and beach. The pool was extremely foggy and sandy. The pool area was overall clean. Was convenient to have restaurant available for breakfast and the breakfast buffet was good. My daughters enjoyed the ice cream shop as well. Overall, the Seawatch met my needs. But if you're looking for a luxury place, it's not it.

• Stayed July 2011
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We spent a week in mid October here in Villa I, room 207. We booked an "ocean view" and it is just about impossible to see the ocean from this unit - however, there are lovely palm trees blocking everything except the parking garage and other balconies across the pool. The beautiful lagoon was not even visible thanks to the palm trees. It is very deceptive to call this unit "ocean view" as it isn't visible. There were minor issues in the unit that I didn't expect in a place at this price: mildew on the shower curtain; three light bulbs out in kitchen; and the king size bed had a fitted sheet that was too small - kept popping off. They did promptly send over a sheet that fit; i took the mildewed curtain down for the week; and I considered 3 less flourescent bulbs in the unit a blessing! I might have been less annoyed by the little things had there been an ocean view - paid for that but didn't get it and noone at the place could handle or discuss that aspect. I will continue to question this - we are "Wyndham Discovery Members" and this was the time when we were to discover what Wyndham is all about - we are not impressed. Overall, the unit is nice - ample space and well equipped. The property itself is beautiful. Only complaint was the lack of heated pools - again, deceptive as they tout two heated pools and there are none. Wasn't a big deal for us, but the heated pools are not heated and if that is important, good to note.
They have an activites department and lots of activities are available Mon -thru Fri. In this regard, the resort shines! There was something for everyone and the staff was so friendly and helpful - I'd give them 5 Stars - they were great!
Parking was not a problem - ample spaces close to the unit. The resort is in a very quiet part of the beach which is just beautiful.
So, I give the overall rating of the property "Poor" cause in my opinion if you book an "ocean view" unit, you ought to be able to view the ocean. If your view is not important, you will find the resort quite nice. But beware of "ocean view" if you want to see the ocean.

Room Tip: If a view of the ocean from your room is important, do not book in the villas.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation? Share your experiences!