“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Burlington, VT
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I have a timeshare at this property so we go every year. It’s a 2 bedroom 2 bath with a phenomenal view from the master bedroom. Rooms are being updated also and should be completed soon. Housekeeping only will come twice if you stay a week. Beach towels are supplied but the annoying part is you get one towel for the whole week and they WILL NOT under any circumstances trade it for a clean one. This wouldn’t be a problem IF there were washer and dryers in the unit instead of just in a few hallways with coin op w/d. The pool is small but seems perfect for the amount of people. There is also one Jacuzzi. There are chairs if you want to sit by the pool or on the grass with in the fenced in yard of the property. The beach is amazing of course. You can rent chairs/umbrella from the lifeguard but it is pretty pricey. I prefer going down 21st Ave to the Eagles or Wings store next to Dirty Dons (there is a great ladies bathing suit and sandal shop next to it as well as a really good sandwich place). You can just get an inexpensive chaise and umbrella there (I checked Walmart and Target and found this beach shop to be cheapest). We fly from Boston so we just give them away when we leave to someone just arriving. The staff is mediocre helpful. Other years they were great but in 2007 it seemed as if they were burned out, even the manager which was disappointing. I will still continue to stay here and will recommend it to others for the reasons that its nice that it is small as opposed to staying at a larger place tons of families. It feels more like an apartment then a crazy party place. Also the location in unbeatable and that is the reason that I gave it such a high rating. We didn’t have any major problems really, I was just angry about the beach towel situation and the lack of southern hospitality by the front desk staff.

Location-

This is THE BEST location in MYR in my eyes and I have been traveling there since I was 15 years old. Obviously, at 30, my BEST LOCATION is not the same as back then. This is on Ocean BLVD and 21st Ave North is the cross street which is a REALLY happening street. Our favorite is Dirty Don's. Every night from 4-7 they have $2 bud light and .25 wings, shrimp, mussels (best mussels I have ever had), and clams. You can sit outside or inside. We prefer outside b/c why not enjoy the ocean air?

We also LOVE SOHO. They have EXCELLENT sushi and the steak is incredible. It’s a completely different atmosphere then DD. More of a martini place with an Asian flare. (can be found on trip advisor restaurants.)

If you are looking for a fun beach bar, BUMMZ beach bar just a few doors down from The Schooner on Ocean BLVD. (can be found on trip advisor restaurants.)

There is an excellent breakfast spot on the corner of 21st and Hwy 17. Its on the left corner if the beach is behind you. Very nice people from Jersey own and run it.

Also make sure you eat at California Pizza on 25th… they are everywhere but that one is just the closest.

There is also a Starbucks right on Ocean BLVD.

We go days without having to drive anywhere. I only suggest renting a car b/c MYR is a great place to explore. But as you can see, it is not a must.

• Liked — Beach, location, small quieter property
  • Disliked — Having to bring my wet sandy towel to my room with me and deal with it being dirty for a week. Also front desk staff.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

This is an average place considering we were able to book it during the Labor Day Week. We had a 2-bedroom room with a great view in the master bedroom. We had originally booked with a couple with their 2-yr old daughter....unfortunately, they were not able to go which worked out to the best because the second bedroom had 2 double beds. Also, the balcony was a little scary for a small child because there is a large gap between the wall and the fence where a child can actually fall...but I guess that is my nervousness since were were on the 6th floor. The pool was ok... Overall a great place for the price! It is great to be right on the beach!!

• Liked — RIght on the beach
  • Disliked — The balcony... The internet access ...you had to go to different floor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Arrived in a timely fashion and found everything clean and in working order. Beautiful Ocean views and plenty of space even though this was a 1 bedroom unit. We have two children and the additional enclave with the twin/full bunk beds gave everyone perfect sleeping arrangements without the hassle of utilizing the sleeper sofa. The pool was small, but you can always stay in Raleigh if you want a larger pool with your hotel. What we really enjoyed was being on the Ocean and yet close enough to walk to everything from shopping to entertainment. The staff was cordial and everyone had a great time.

• Liked — Clean and proximity to everything
  • Disliked — the pool was small.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I own a timeshare for the Schooner II and find it very nice. The room is always clean and the staff is friendly. There is barely any activities and the pool area is terribly small. It is a great place to go get away. We ended up arriving early and the staff held out luggage while we went to the restaurant across the street. We never had any problems with having to ask for something and was a very relaxing stay.

Stayed May 2007
hoteloutofcontrol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We arrived at the hotel early only to find our room o f course was not ready. I went up to the front desk several times, the front desk clerk assured me they would come and get me from the pool that looked as big as a jacuzi, when the room was ready....They never came, we walked the small hotel, only to find our room was an ocean view and I booked ocean front...the manager advised me that it was not their fault that it was hotels.com that was in error. They never tried to resolve the issue only yelling that it wasn't their fault...I was surprised to find out after the manager printed and slammed the reservation on the front counter that I was scammed. I was charged 227.00 on my debit card, but the room rate that was on the paper was 145.00. I booked it over the phone with hotels.com and never got a paper confirmation. The schooner was were booked that weekend and found me a room. the wrong room and if I wouldnt have said anything, I would have been in an ocean view room at an ocean front price and not even known it. They were gonna have me in the small room for the high price and blame it on hotels.com...This is not a customer friendly place. Rude,unhelpful

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PapaH49, Owner at Schooner II Beach/Racquet Club, responded to this review, May 23, 2009
My wife and I have been owners at Schooner II since it became available over 20 years ago. The place is well-run, clean, closely managed and an all-around great vacation spot. I have never regretted my investment in our time share there. The staff has been wonderful to me and my family. We look forward to the warm greeting we receive from everyone, especially Walter, a mainstay of the crew there. If something is out-of-whack, they hasten to correct it. This is a great facility in a very convenient beach-front location. I would recommend it (and have done so) to anyone.
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Rented a movie through their rental machine in the lobby only to find out a couple of weeks later they charged our debit card $45 for the movie instead of $4.95.
Tried several times (phone calls) to the manager to resolve the issue will no help at all.
Filed a report with the Myrtle Beach Police Dept. which was a joke within itself...in case you have Myrtle Beach Police Dept. concerns.
We will never go back...and are making a point of advising friends to never stay there.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — Response from management
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Schooner II Beach/Racquet Club? Share your experiences!