“Clean/comfortable, very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Schooner II Beach/Racquet Club
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2108 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #81 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Georgia
“Clean/comfortable, very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My family stayed here recently. This is one of the cleanest hotels/resorts I've used. Staff is very friendly. We rented an ocean VIEW room, not ocean front, but the view was still beautiful even from the side angle. Very roomy condo and fully stocked, updated kitchen.The only drawback might be the small pool. Parking is tight, but they have a parking lot across the street. The atmosphere is mostly made up of families and couples. Older facility, but very clean and quiet, and still close to the city's excitement. Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ashland, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel is an older place and doesn't have a lot of fancy decoration, but it has a great location at a quiet end of the beach. The rooms were spacious and beds comfortable, and the staff helpful and friendly. It's walking distance to good places to eat like Sunnyside Cafe, Rockafellas Seafood, and Big Sam's. We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2012
Stone Ridge, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife has been going to the Schooner II since she was a little girl and the tradition continues with us and our 2 boys going every year.

The place is great for what/where it is; a nice hotel right on the beach that's conducive to families. Let's start w/ the positives:

- LOCATION: Right on the beach, can't beat it. Plus, you're in walking distance of a few great eateries; Dirty Don's, Soho, River City Cafe, Ultimate Pizza. The best is that you're in walking distance of Kirk's Ice Cream Parlor. Love the nutty coconut.

- CONDOS: Recently updated with a nice kitchentte and bunk bed area for kids. We've stayed in both the 1 and 2 bedroom units. Although you can't beat the 2 bedroom view, we actually like the layout of the 1 bedroom w/ bunk bed area better. As with any oceanside property, you're going to get some wear and tear, but for the most part, the units are well maintained.

- STAFF: Incredibly friendly and helpful.

Ok, now a few negatives:

- POOL: This used to be a huge negative for me, but it has gotten better. The pool is way to small. They have recently updated it and tend to keep it cleaner then in years past, but it's too small for the amount of folks they have staying there. We've found ourselves sneaking into other hotel pools. It's not necessarily the Schooner's fault as they just don't have enough land to make a larger one.

- ARRIVING/DEPARTING: As another reviewer mentioned, it's a pain unloading your car. It's very tight up front and there are only 2, very slow elevators. Can't really help that though.

All in all, I highly recommend this place. We'll keep coming back.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view and less noise you get from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our first stay here. The room was clean and spacious. The location of hotel was great. It is close to Broadway at the Beach. The suite had a nice updated kitchen and two bathrooms which is great for a family of 6. I would recommend to friends and plan to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed one week this July. We were on the 4th floor. First impression, difficult to load and unload car. When its busy (check in time) you can barely get on the lot. The first day we noticed that our sink and bathtub backed up. We called down front and they took care of it promptly. Still, really?? There was hair in our tub so I cleaned it myself. I was too embarrassed to call down to the lobby again but I couldnt stand it. I will say that we had our own AC and it worked great. We could crank it down and really get cool, which was nice because we were having a heat wave. Our bed was very comfortable and it was surpisingly quiet at night so we slept well. On Friday an elevator (they have 2) went out so the entire hotel was trying to use the other. We finally gave up and used the stairs. I will say of all the places we have ever stayed this place had the smallest pool. There were several times we wanted to swim and people were packed in there and we just gave up on the idea. We enjoyed our vacation because we have been going to Myrtle for years and we love it but I wouldnt stay here again. Some pros but too many cons for the dollar.

Room Tip: You might want to choose a lower floor. An elevator went out one day we were staying there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was my 4th year staying at the Schooner II and I am still amazed. The review rating is lower than expected. If you are looking for an A+ luxury with the lasted fashion, intend to go elsewhere and pay a fortune, but for the nightly cost, expect to be AMAZED. Most hotels in the area supply a studio-like room with barely no amenities for the same price. The Staff is wonderful. Period! I have spoken to the manager/s, staff, and housekeeping and all of them are informative, friendly, and know how to make a pleasant atmosphere by going out of their way to make sure your needs are met. The rooms are more than we could ask for. It has a full kitchen with sufficient supplies, a huge/open and well-kept living room, and a fantastic private bedroom. The views of the city and ocean view from the side have a warm personal amount of space to enjoy every inch of what MB has to offer. I have never had issues with bugs, dirtiness, or maintenance. Within 10 miles, there are numerous attractions in a great family environment. The party-goers are in South MB no where near the Schooner. Within 5-10 minutes is Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing, Cherry Pier, and wonderful places to dine. Amongst the years, I had brought several of our friends along to the Schooner and they always walk away with a 10 star rating. Even with the increased cost, the price still doesn't deter me from booking year to year because I know that I am getting every penny worth a great A+ vacation. Thank you.

Room Tip: Hotels in Myrtle Beach are fairly simple when "area" is very important. Anything from 21st...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Miamisburg, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My in-laws own a timeshare through here and has been great the 3 times I have visited. The place is always very clean, ocean front rooms are great with the 2 bed 2 bath combo and full kitchen. Staff is great. There are a few updates here and there that could be updated, however the last few years they have been updating the rooms, which are very nice. Would recommend as it within walking distance to enough restaurants.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Schooner II Beach/Racquet Club? Share your experiences!