“Wonderful Stay at South Beach Resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach

You added Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3000 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #60 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
KY
“Wonderful Stay at South Beach Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

My parents are owners and after seeing all of the negative reviews I was very concerned about spending a week at South Beach Resort. I did not know what to expect with the new takeover by Holiday Inn Vacations Club, but we were pleasantly surprised to say the least! Check-in was easy and took about 3 minutes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds were very clean and well kept. The pools and lazy river were favorites amoung our family and small children. Our 2 bedroom condo was VERY clean and you could smell that the condo had just been freshly cleaned. It was spacious and decorated very nicely. The screened in porch was very nice as well. We overlooked the lazy river and golf course which was very relaxing. The beach across from the Breezes Club was good, a little crowded for my liking, but we still had a great time. If you like untouched beaches with less crowds drive a few miles south and visit Huntington State Park. This beach was the MOST beautiful with miles and miles of natural beauty and no hotels or high rises to be seen. The sand was beautiful and not a ton of shells to step on as your walking either. This was my childrens favorite beach and across the way in the State Park you will be able to spot some alligators sunning in the marsh, this was really neat to see as well. Overall, I would say South Beach Resort is the best place to stay in Myrtle Beach. I liked how everything was spread out and you never felt like you were crowed at the resort. We had a fantastic time and the Resort really exceeded my expectations in every way!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

As I owner, I was impressed as I did not know what to expect since the change to Holiday inn and the earlier reviews. However, it was very clean and well manicured. I knew at booking, it was across the street from the beach but it is very accessible with shuttle to the beach club. I enjoyed the walk everyday to the Springmaid Pier. The beach was clean. Compared to Gulf Shores, Daytona, Pensacola, etc., it was much prettier and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hickory
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

A few days before our trip we read some reviews of the resort and became very concerned because of the negative remarks. However, immediately after arrival, we were greeted by pleasant check-in employees and a very impressive suite. The grounds were nicely kept and very pretty. We took some friends along with us to show our appreciation to them, so we had a three bedroom suite. It was beautiful and gave us lots of room to stay out of each other's way. The view from our livingroom and master suite overlooked the pool area, which was very pretty. The shuttle to the beach was wonderful and Frank was always there to help us with our stuff. Even though it wasn't on front beach, the lazy river and the two pools were great for the three little boys that belonged to our friends. They had a blast! All in all we couldn't have asked for a nicer place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

My husband, daughter, and I arrived to the resort on 4/25/09. We found our room in disgusting shape. There was a dirty disposable razor in the kitchen sink. The glass table on the balcony still had chunks of food stuck to it, but the real kicker was that the toilet didn't even work. Luckily, my husband is a contractor and was able to fix the toilet. But the question I had for them was, "How could they have cleaned the toilet, when it didn't even flush?"

I have not been an RCI member long. I can say in all my history of travel in normal hotels (Ramada, Holiday, even some Best Westerns), I have never came across something so disgusting, or that my husband had to work on to make it liveable.

It seemed everyday it was something. I did get them to re-clean the room. I received for a stay of 4 days and 3 people 2 bath towels. We re-used the bath towels for a couple days. Then I asked the resort if I can trade them for clean bath towels, and I was advised no. If I wanted clean ones, I would have to pay $12.95 for my own set of towels or buy detergent from them to wash the ones I had. I don't know...this may be standard...but you would think a Gold Crown resort would allow you to have more than one bath towel per person during a multiple day stay. As far as the washer goes...the resort advertises a washer/dryer in every room, but actually you share one with your neighbor. It is in the entry way of two rooms.

The towels are petty, especially compared to what took place on 4/28/09. My husband was up and out early morning and left my daughter and I to sleep in. About 9 AM I woke to someone walking in our room. The sound of the door kind of startled of me, and I sat and said hello looking over to the door. Since I was sleeping, I was not dressed fully as well. There was a strange man standing there. I was very scared and startled. I asked him if I could help him. He said as if it was no big deal, "Oh hi, I was suppose to check the room. Did you just check in or something?" I advised him that I did not, and I was not scheduled to check out until tomorrow. He said okay and left.

My husband came back shortly afterwards, and I was still a little startled. I thought you should be able to feel safe and secure in a locked room. He was very upset a man walked in on my daughter and I, and also did not knock knowing someone may not be dressed (or partially as I was). I went ahead and called the front desk. I advised them the man claimed to be a worker, but they need to check it out and see why or who was in my room. Why wasn't I informed someone was coming to the room? Was he really a worker, or a man with a key? Should he really have been in my room? I advised them how upsetting the situation was. They said they would research and callback. They called back about 30 minutes later and said it was okay...the man was suppose to go into room A but accidentally went into room B. It was no big deal to them at all. It was scary and startling to me...but no apology whatsoever. I guess when I agreed to stay there...I must have given their workers permission to see my body.

This resort just seem to be a mess. Everyday was something else. They did not have organization, know who was where or doing what. They charged me a $33 cleaning fee when I checked in. Then they tried to collect again when I left (and after all I went through...not sure what I paid for. I know I left room in better shap than I got it...working toilet and all). I bought two bottles of wine there that came up to $20. They debit my account the $20 three times. They are fixing that today. They have a security bars that go down after dark and you have to an entry code to get in to the resort. No one even advised us. The ammenities or horrible. The pillows felt like I was laying my head on dollar store bag of cotton balls. You had to try to fold pillows three times over to get all the cotton together so you could feel the pillow. When you ran the hot water in the kitchen sink, it sounded like a automatic rifle going off. It came out in quick, loud spurts. It was honestly one thing after another and the worst experience I have ever had staying at a resort or even cheap motel at that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

This is our fourth trip in the last 6 years to South Beach. The past three have been wonderful. When in the hands of the previous, local ownership group, Burroughs & Chapin, this was an oustanding destination. Clean, friendly and loaded with amenities that made the stay enjoyable.

This year, the resort is now under the ownership of the Holiday Inn Resort Vacations Group. Although still an enjoyable stay, the transition of ownership has clearly left much to be desired.

The heaters for the "Lagoon Pool" a favorite of ours in past years due to a young child were broken, leaving the pool so cold you could not swim in it. The outdoor hot tub in the lagoon area, a favorite with everyone due to it's being pool sized, was also broken and not functioning properly. Only three of the more than 15 jets were not working. The outdoor pool bar, always open in the past, was closed.

There used to be free wi-fi in the common areas which has now been swapped for an expensive fee-based service.

Throughout the week several waste recepticals in the pool areas were not changed daily leaving trash overflowing to the ground.

As mentioned, should the new ownership get things Ironed out this is a very nice hotel, with good amenities, in a great location. Otherwise, with it's premium pricing, there are better options on the strip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Bracebridge, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We enjoyed this resort thoroughly, it was nice, clean, good area with lots to do nearby. The weather didn't cooperate with us but we still had a real good time. It is NOT on the ocean, although the beach club (closed in the winter months) is. It is a short walk, not suitable for people who don't wish to walk 500 yards. It has mini-golf, par 3 golf, restaurants, the beach all within a 2 minute walk. It is in the south end of myrtle beach proper and not far from myrtle beach activities although a car is recommended.

Our room was a decent size, clean and well equipped. We did have a few minor issues, sofa bed was hard to pull out. The bathrooms and bedrooms were great, the unit fully equiped.

The main building was one of the best, lots of room, sauna, I/O pool, I/O hot tubs, lazy river, workout room, billiards room, games room, large sitting area, snack bar, lots of activities, library, movie rental, info and computers.

All in all a very nice place which we would go back to, definitely better suited to better weather.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

It was a nice place, although across the street from the beach; too far to walk with kids and a bunch of beach toys. We got a pack and play for our 4 month old and had to take him to urgent care the next day b/c of a bunch of red spots on his arms and legs. The Dr said it was bug bites, our 3 year old also got some spots and my wife and i itched while in bed. It was a nice enough place and i'm sure our bug issue was a fluke, but it definitely put a hurt on our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach? Share your experiences!