I just returned home yesterday from a 6 day stay at the resort with my husband & daughter, my in-laws, and my sister-in-law and her husband in a 2-bedroom villa, and my husband's grandparents stayed in a single studio queen. We were all in town for a family wedding and made a vacation out of it. We stayed here because I work for IHG and it made the most sense for us financially, and location-wise, to stay here (note, I did pay more than employee rate). We knew coming in it was not on the beach.
CHECK-IN - First off, we were not bothered once by timeshare people. I was worried we would have to fend them off after reading past reviews, but not a soul asked us about anything. The closest thing was the nice boy at the desk, I think his name was Dequan?, gave us $20 "coupons" that the "concierge" would trade us for discounts at local restaurants/attractions. At the bottom it says, not even in fine print, that the $20 is a trade for a timeshare presentation. So I threw them away. Basically if you're too lazy to read about the timeshare info CLEARLY printed on your voucher, you deserve to be bothered by them. My husband's grandmother however wanted to use the coupon because she didn't read the entire thing - I threw hers out too :) I was confused at check-in regarding our rooms: one week before arrival the desk called to confirm everything, which I thought was great. They even mailed me a map of the resort and circled/labeled the buildings that our 2 rooms would be in. Our 2-bedroom was assigned one of the few ocean-view rooms on the 4th floor of the D building, and my husband's grandparents were assigned a first-level Queen in building B. I had requested a high room, and they had requested a low one, to make it easier for them to get in and out of the building. However when we arrived, we were all placed in Building A, with us on the first floor, and them on the 4th floor! We were told we couldn't change anything because they were sold out. Not sure how this changed since the woman mailed me the map, but I was unhappy with our new view - the back of the restroom building by the one pool :(
KITCHEN - well stocked, with glasses/plates/utensils for 6 people. We ate most meals out except for breakfast, so we didn't really use much, but it had anything you would need to cook a meal.
LIVING AREA - The couch was not the most comfortable, but I didn't spend much time there. If you have a baby/toddler, know the fireplace is a deathtrap! The brick setting is about an inch off the floor and my 20-month old kept trying to walk across it. We ended up moving the coffee table in front of the fireplace and placing towels on the brick edging so she couldn't hurt herself.
BATHROOM - I will never understand the layout of the king bedroom/bathroom - the tub (which I thought I read was a jacuzzi, but was just a large tub) and his & her sinks are technically IN the bedroom, just a short 3 1/2 foot tall semi-wall separates them - the shower and toilet are the only things behind an actual door - this makes no sense when trying to get ready or have a relaxing bath. The shower was large and actually TOO brightly lit - the ceiling light is blinding. I actually had to put my hands over my covered eyes when rinsing my hair out because the light was so bright! Also, big complaint - the shower, regardless of time of day, or if I showered first or not, took literally over a minute to warm up. Regarding toiletries from previous reviews, I don't see how you could possibly run out! Between our 2 bathrooms, we had 6 rolls of tp, maybe 8 garbage bags, 4 bars of soap, 4 boxes of tissues, and plenty of shampoo/conditioner/lotion. No need for extra, or in the kitchen for that matter!
BEDROOM - The rooms looked exactly as the website photos showed, so that was good. Everything was clean, so no complaints there (I even checked under the beds!). BIGGEST COMPLAINT - the wifi is as horrible as everyone says, but worse than that, I did not get any cell phone reception AT ALL in the room. I only got phone service (no internet, JUST calls) when I sat by the window in the living room. It's 2013, I have an iPhone, this needs addressed! Perhaps it was because our room was on the first floor. Also, the walls/ceilings here are paper-thin. We could hear the guests next to us every time they flushed the toilet, took a shower (like clockwork, 2 people at 6am and 11pm!), and apparently dropped every single item they took with them on the floor. CONSTANT running around and booming sounds - not pleasant!
POOLS/RECREATION - We loved the pool outside buildings A&B, and spent most of our time there when not at the beach. Kiddie pool, hot tub, lazy river (which was the only thing not heated). We ate lunch at the Marketplace Snack Shack 3 days as well - very expensive for what you get, but that's expected - it was more worth it to us to pay $6.50 for a turkey sandwich each day than to make them ourselves! I will say the woman in charge, and I didn't see a nametag, was horrible. Annoyed with the customers, talking to the staff like they were morons, and taking forever to make a sandwich - I was happy to not see her there our last day! The pool by the other buildings is cool, it has a waterfall and you walk into it like the beach, but it was dirty - what looked to me (as a mother of a toddler) to be baby formula vomit was in 2 areas of the pool, and not cleaned the 2 separate days we ventured there - gross. Also, this was the more "party" pool - the one by building A was frequented more by quiet older couples and babies - much more relaxing. The pool at Ocean Breezes across the street is small, but we never saw more than 4 people there at a time, and their kiddie pool is covered from the sun, but not heated, so my daughter shivered for the 2 minutes she was in it.
All in all, a pretty resort with a great location (10 minutes from everything!), but being too far from the beach (it is NOT a 5 minute walk, at least not with elderly grandparents, a baby, and myself being 6 months pregnant - more like 10. It is not even a straight shot - you have to walk around the resort to stay on the path so as to not walk on another property's lawn, and then go diagonally across 5 lanes of traffic to get to the resort - we took our car to the parking lot after trying it once!), having terrible phone/wifi service, and paper-thin walls, we will not come back. Next time I will pay for the convenience of a property directly on the beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations(R) South Beach Resort provides both peaceful solitude and wide variety of fun in the heart of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, the country's top beachside family vacation destination. You and your family will love the spacious villa accommodations, most with fully equipped kitchens, living and dining areas, plus free Wi-Fi internet access. The resort rests across the street from a pristine stretch of beach and the Oceanfront Breezes Beach Club, our own exclusive waterfront facility that offers a pool, kiddie pool, indoor seating area with TV and balcony, plus private beach access. On the main Myrtle Beach resort, lounge with a signature drink at the Captain Cliff's Lagoon Bar and Pool (seasonal; year-round indoor pool also available) near the resort's Clubhouse. The best vacations include time relaxing in the sauna with lockers for men and women, hot tubs or splashing with the kids in the family-favorite lazy river pool. Just steps away enjoy take-out breakfast items and casual foods at the Marketplace, plus a family video and game room to enjoy a fun diversion with the kids when you're not playing or strolling on Myrtle Beach. The resort even has a fully equipped fitness center where you can take advantage of personal time to get a good workout. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Holiday Inn Myrtle Beach
- South Beach Myrtle
- Holiday Inn South Beach
- South Beach Resort Myrtle Beach