“Okay stay, but would not come back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach

You added Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3000 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #62 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Okay stay, but would not come back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I just returned home yesterday from a 6 day stay at the resort with my husband & daughter, my in-laws, and my sister-in-law and her husband in a 2-bedroom villa, and my husband's grandparents stayed in a single studio queen. We were all in town for a family wedding and made a vacation out of it. We stayed here because I work for IHG and it made the most sense for us financially, and location-wise, to stay here (note, I did pay more than employee rate). We knew coming in it was not on the beach.

CHECK-IN - First off, we were not bothered once by timeshare people. I was worried we would have to fend them off after reading past reviews, but not a soul asked us about anything. The closest thing was the nice boy at the desk, I think his name was Dequan?, gave us $20 "coupons" that the "concierge" would trade us for discounts at local restaurants/attractions. At the bottom it says, not even in fine print, that the $20 is a trade for a timeshare presentation. So I threw them away. Basically if you're too lazy to read about the timeshare info CLEARLY printed on your voucher, you deserve to be bothered by them. My husband's grandmother however wanted to use the coupon because she didn't read the entire thing - I threw hers out too :) I was confused at check-in regarding our rooms: one week before arrival the desk called to confirm everything, which I thought was great. They even mailed me a map of the resort and circled/labeled the buildings that our 2 rooms would be in. Our 2-bedroom was assigned one of the few ocean-view rooms on the 4th floor of the D building, and my husband's grandparents were assigned a first-level Queen in building B. I had requested a high room, and they had requested a low one, to make it easier for them to get in and out of the building. However when we arrived, we were all placed in Building A, with us on the first floor, and them on the 4th floor! We were told we couldn't change anything because they were sold out. Not sure how this changed since the woman mailed me the map, but I was unhappy with our new view - the back of the restroom building by the one pool :(

KITCHEN - well stocked, with glasses/plates/utensils for 6 people. We ate most meals out except for breakfast, so we didn't really use much, but it had anything you would need to cook a meal.

LIVING AREA - The couch was not the most comfortable, but I didn't spend much time there. If you have a baby/toddler, know the fireplace is a deathtrap! The brick setting is about an inch off the floor and my 20-month old kept trying to walk across it. We ended up moving the coffee table in front of the fireplace and placing towels on the brick edging so she couldn't hurt herself.

BATHROOM - I will never understand the layout of the king bedroom/bathroom - the tub (which I thought I read was a jacuzzi, but was just a large tub) and his & her sinks are technically IN the bedroom, just a short 3 1/2 foot tall semi-wall separates them - the shower and toilet are the only things behind an actual door - this makes no sense when trying to get ready or have a relaxing bath. The shower was large and actually TOO brightly lit - the ceiling light is blinding. I actually had to put my hands over my covered eyes when rinsing my hair out because the light was so bright! Also, big complaint - the shower, regardless of time of day, or if I showered first or not, took literally over a minute to warm up. Regarding toiletries from previous reviews, I don't see how you could possibly run out! Between our 2 bathrooms, we had 6 rolls of tp, maybe 8 garbage bags, 4 bars of soap, 4 boxes of tissues, and plenty of shampoo/conditioner/lotion. No need for extra, or in the kitchen for that matter!

BEDROOM - The rooms looked exactly as the website photos showed, so that was good. Everything was clean, so no complaints there (I even checked under the beds!). BIGGEST COMPLAINT - the wifi is as horrible as everyone says, but worse than that, I did not get any cell phone reception AT ALL in the room. I only got phone service (no internet, JUST calls) when I sat by the window in the living room. It's 2013, I have an iPhone, this needs addressed! Perhaps it was because our room was on the first floor. Also, the walls/ceilings here are paper-thin. We could hear the guests next to us every time they flushed the toilet, took a shower (like clockwork, 2 people at 6am and 11pm!), and apparently dropped every single item they took with them on the floor. CONSTANT running around and booming sounds - not pleasant!

POOLS/RECREATION - We loved the pool outside buildings A&B, and spent most of our time there when not at the beach. Kiddie pool, hot tub, lazy river (which was the only thing not heated). We ate lunch at the Marketplace Snack Shack 3 days as well - very expensive for what you get, but that's expected - it was more worth it to us to pay $6.50 for a turkey sandwich each day than to make them ourselves! I will say the woman in charge, and I didn't see a nametag, was horrible. Annoyed with the customers, talking to the staff like they were morons, and taking forever to make a sandwich - I was happy to not see her there our last day! The pool by the other buildings is cool, it has a waterfall and you walk into it like the beach, but it was dirty - what looked to me (as a mother of a toddler) to be baby formula vomit was in 2 areas of the pool, and not cleaned the 2 separate days we ventured there - gross. Also, this was the more "party" pool - the one by building A was frequented more by quiet older couples and babies - much more relaxing. The pool at Ocean Breezes across the street is small, but we never saw more than 4 people there at a time, and their kiddie pool is covered from the sun, but not heated, so my daughter shivered for the 2 minutes she was in it.

All in all, a pretty resort with a great location (10 minutes from everything!), but being too far from the beach (it is NOT a 5 minute walk, at least not with elderly grandparents, a baby, and myself being 6 months pregnant - more like 10. It is not even a straight shot - you have to walk around the resort to stay on the path so as to not walk on another property's lawn, and then go diagonally across 5 lanes of traffic to get to the resort - we took our car to the parking lot after trying it once!), having terrible phone/wifi service, and paper-thin walls, we will not come back. Next time I will pay for the convenience of a property directly on the beach!

Room Tip: Request a high floor - hopefully they don't move you like they moved us!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear evlow,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Woodleaf, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed here several times since becoming an owner during the B&C years. Its a nice place to bring your family while visiting Myrtle Beach if an ocean front room isn't a requirement. The rooms, pools and jacuzzi are nice and away from the noise and crowds you often see at other locations in the area. The pool on the ocean side of the street was often very sandy but thats hard to control at times with so many people coming off the beach. The only negative I can say associated with the stays were very simple but very aggravating to me especially being an owner and knowing what is listed as budget for these items. On the last trip when we ran out of toilet paper or dish soap and called the front desk you were told they would try to bring some later but what you were stocked with when you arrived is what you were allotted unless stay was great than 10 days. With two adults and two kids a roll of toilet paper will not last 10 days and really didn't plan on stocking up on it at Walmart when I arrived. Every other location I have stayed it was never a problem, just call and it was there in a few minutes. The biggest negative I have found is being an owner. I knew ownership wouldn't financially work out during my life but wanted son to have a nice place to vacation without as much financial hardship as it often places on families. The down side is so many things that were included when I originally purchased have been taken away or modified. Another negative is dealing with salespeople trying to talk you into new ownership. When you notify them you are not interested in changing over from the original ownership to a new Holiday Inn they change from treating you like a king to a bum. I find it at times comical and it doesn't mess up my vacation with family but it really makes me question the resorts opinion of its owners.

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms that you can actually see the ocean from across the street. I think they are all...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SouthBeachResort, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It is always a pleasure to have you back with us at your Home resort. We are happy that you enjoy the rooms and the amenities around the property. I do apologize that you did not have enough supplies in your room and seemed to have some trouble getting additional. Please know that our owners & guests are always our top priority and we certainly want to make sure you have everything you need during your stay. I will address your specific situation with our teams to prevent things like this from happening in the future! We do value you being an owner with us. We look forward to you and your family returning and continuing to make many memorable vacations with us.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Used our timeshare points to stay here and were very pleased. My wife and I stayed in a 1 bedroom overlooking the main pool during the first week of May. The weather was mostly in the upper 60's/low 70's but the heated pools and the hot tub took away the chill in the air. The hot tub was HUGE and the main pool with the bar was spacious. We also tried the pool near the lazy river with a smaller hot tub. They were nice but we preferred the main pool as it was right outside our building. The lazy river was a little small and chilly due to being on a tube and outside of the water. I'm sure on a warm day, it would be just right. The room was beautiful. King bed, spacious bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, full kitchen with dining/living area and a screened in lanai/balcony patio. Not a beachfront property, but there is a beachfront clubhouse right across the street. It has three levels, two are decks overlooking the beach and one is a pool/deck. There's also a lounge with tv's, couches, ping pong table and most importantly, restrooms. The one sunny warm day we had there, we went over there to be on the beach and actually spent the whole time by the pool. The ocean was still pretty cool and it was pretty breezy on the beach. The clubhouse can be reached by shuttle, walking, or car. There is a private parking lot just across the street from the clubhouse. Immediately next to the clubhouse is Damon's restaurant and jetski rental/banana boat rides. All in all, we had a great time and will definitely be back to this resort!! Hopefully next time will be much better weather!!

In addition, the location is at the south end of Myrtle Beach just beyond the busy section and centrally located close to everything. Real close, short trip to the airport, yet you'll hardly notice any plane traffic/noise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Club Vacations South Beach Resort! We are glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We see that you were able to utilize many of the amenities here on property and especially, Breeze’s Beach Club which offers a relaxing spot to enjoy the beach, with the best of both worlds available, the nice relaxing pool and the ocean! We wish the weather would have been warmer for you, hopefully when you come back next time youll be able to sit in the lazy river tube and not get chilly. Thanks again, we look forward to seeing soon.
Daytona Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here during Memorial Day Weekend (don't stay this weekend if you don't like a lot of traffice and a lot of bikes-its bike week and lots of people are down here on this popular strip of S. Ocean Blvd). We enjoyed the week and the sites but stayed on the resort most of the time since they have a nice pool, golf, and activities. We took their shuttle to the beach which was convenient but you could walk the 5 min to their beach house if you want. That was the only downside was that it wasn't on the beach. However it is close enough to enjoy. If you don't mind walking you could walk to the beach and resturants on the popular S. Ocean Blvd. Our room was nice it was a 2 bedroom lockoff which made it easy for us to give our teen kids their own 'room' while we had privacy. Also the lockoffs have a entrance area where the washer and dryer is. Try to get a room that overlooks the pool and is close to the main checkin club house - HOWEVER, this side has a lot of noise. Things to do for kids is MagiQuest, Ripley's Believe it or Not and Family Kingdom. If you have a Costco card, they sell discount tickets to those places there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the pool and is close to the main checkin club house - HOWEVER, thi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SouthBeachResort, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for recently staying with us at South Beach Resort. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found that the Shuttle to get to the beach was convenient. We certainly try to make your vacation as easy, enjoyable and memorable as possible. Memorial Day weekend is a very, very busy weekend at the beach , we are glad you were able to use all of our amenities to escape the hustle of bustle of the downtown Myrtle Beach area. Thank you so much for your review, we looking for to seeing you and your family next time you come back to Myrtle Beach.
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach with our son and his family. They are owners and like to experience different locations for their time share weeks. This resort is very nice, the grounds and buildings are very clean, and the staff are A+! Our son's family had a 2 bedroom villa and we stayed in one of the mini suites. Both accommodations were well stocked with supplies and had all the comforts of home. We enjoyed the many pools on site and visited the beach club too. Beach access is within walking distance or you can call for shuttle service. Although the outside temps were a little chilly the pool water temps were always warm. Our granddaughters loved the daily activities in the main complex and we ate a few lunches at the deli too. Our family enjoyed our stay and we will return to this location again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our resort. We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed all of the amenities on the property and were able to take advantage of our daily Activities program. It is always great to read feedback from our Holiday Inn Club Owners. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you all back real soon.
Grandy, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We are owners and have been for 10 years, We stay here at least once a year and sometimes twice. The staff at this location are awesome, from the front desk to the maid service. If we have ever had a problem it has been taken care of quickly, But let me add we have only had one problem in the ten years we have been staying here. We have done the owners updates and were treated the same weather we updated or not. We love South Beach!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SouthBeachResort, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so much!! While we love hearing about everyone’s experiences, we absolutely love reading great reviews from long time owners! It is very pleasing to see that you are are a very happy and satisfied Owner at South Beach Resort. Thank you for posting your review! See you soon!
Bloomington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was our first visit to this resort. We stayed for 2 weeks. This is an older resort property. The property is maintained well. The furnishings were comfortable. There was a slight problem with oak blooms in one pool every day. That pool was not cleaned on Sunday. We had an issue with our reservation in that I specifically requested a handicapped accessible room. We were told there were no notes on the reservation. However, the staff at check in worked to accommodate us. The one bathroom that was set up for handicapped accessibility with support bars but it had a standard height toilet requiring a toilet seat riser, the hand held shower head needs to have a bar to allow it to be hung lower for a handicapped person, and the seat placed in the shower was for a very short person. There was plenty of room in the unit unlike newer resorts on the beach that have smaller rooms. The beach club across the street was nice. The pools on the property were heated as advertised unlike other resorts we have stayed at in the area. We found the resort staff to be friendly and helpful. We did enjoy the movie on Thursday night. Our owner review did not go well. We felt the representative was telling us what they tell others than come in but we know from experience what they are telling owners is not correct (best of the best is not quite right). I would like to see gas grills instead of charcoal. The wireless internet was poor with extremely poor speeds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting about your experience at South Beach Resort! I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your reservation request, but I hope you found your stay to be comfortable with the additional supplies that were provided. It sounds like you made your way around the resort and saw most of everything we have to offer and even stopped by and watched a movie with us on the big blow up screen. Thank you for your suggestions for improvement with the gas grills and internet services, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks again for your review, we hope to see you back real soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach? Share your experiences!