“old school dining at it's best” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 737 restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Columbus, OH
“old school dining at it's best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

You walk in and just know that they are proud of this place and treat it with respect. This is what it was like to dine when we were kids in the 60's and early 70's.
We've gone twice for lunch and it's been great both times. Great service and a fun place to let your mind wander to simpler times but not second rate food at all. Great job!! I got the flounder and my wife the shrimp salad. They serve fresh hot hushpuppies with the meal and they are dessert in themselves.

80% Recommend
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Service was great, but the food was a letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've grown up travelling to Myrtle beach since I was a kid and I'm a Charlotte, NC native. We've driven past the Sea Captain's House many times over the years and I've heard that this is THE PLACE for fresh seafood in Myrtle Beach. We decided to check it out having high expectations and excitement for some fresh seafood caught right off the SC coast. After arriving for dinner during May, with no wait, the décor seemed quaint and non commercialized like so many MB restaurants. The place had a good mom and pop feel, which is really important to me when on vacation, as you know, you can eat at a Red lobster in pretty much any town in the US, so why do so at the beach?? Our waiter, who was friendly and personable, told us that the seafood was indeed locally caught off the NC and SC coast and was fresh. Again, much excitement and anticipation for a good meal. After ordering broiled shrimp and scallops and baked potato with side salad and broiled seafood platter with salad for my wife, we waited and enjoyed drinks while our dinner was prepared. The only complaint at this point was the table of guests seated next to us. Wearing jean shorts and T shirts to dinner and several moments of loud cursing and laughter, I knew we were seated next to a typical Myrtle Beach group. There is a time and place, but not at dinner in a quiet "landmark" restaurant. No one on the staff made any effort to quiet them down, so we just grinned and made the best of our neighbors at the next table. The food arrived after good fried hushpuppies and crisp iceberg lettuce salad, but was very bland and soaked in water or leftover ice from seemingly being frozen. There was also a very fishy smell to the food which just didn't seem right. The baked potato seemed old and tasted like a dirty grill or oven and was hard to eat. Seemed to have been reheated or left standing for a long, long time. The scallops were rubbery and next to impossible to eat. Not fresh at all. We made no complaint and paid the bill (over $60 for two), leaving a proper tip relevant to our good service. We felt as if we had been "had" by another Myrtle Beach tourist trap and won't be returning. Just because the place has been there for a long time doesn't mean that they can be allowed to become lazy and serve mediocre food. This should have been a special occasion and was a huge letdown.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Great seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love seafood so when I'm on the coast I love the real thing. My husband and I walked here from our hotel. The she crab soup was great. I had the crab cake dinner and it was all crab with a wonderful wine butter sauce. My husband had the salmon and it was very tender. Crime brûlée for dessert. The views were beautiful. We enjoyed it so much we went back for breakfast two days later. $10 for a buffet and custom omelets!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huntington, West Virginia
“Good Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place has a good breakfast buffet. We generally eat here every morning for breakfast as we stay next door at the Caribbean Resort. They also have an omelette station that is very good.

Columbus, Ohio
“How can you have bad seafood next to the ocean????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The first night we arrived in Myrtle Beach we were dying for some good seafood. We waited over an hour for dinner at 8:30 pm. We were finally seated at 9:30. At that point I did not want a large heavy meal. I ordered the salad with lump crab meat. My daughter ordered the shrimp kids platter. We were told it had 6 shrimp in it. My son was a little hungrier so he wanted a few more shrimp. We told our server Dan, we would be willing to pay for a few more shrimp. He told us we should just order the adult meal, "It has quite a bit more shrimp". My husband got the salmon special. The salmon was not "special". It was average. My "lump crab", came out as a lump of canned crab meat still molded like the can. The salad was overdressed and warm. My daughters kids shrimp was the best thing at the table. She got a huge side salad, 6 large fried shrimp, and a baked potato, all for $7.50. My son got the same adult meal with 3 additional shrimp and we paid $17.95. 3 shrimp cost $10.00 Really Dan! We came with 10 families for the Ripkin Baseball Tounament. As you can guess.......we passed this experience on to everyone staying at the Caribbean hotel right next to the Sea Captain. Not one of the 10 families set foot in the restaurant. We spent our money elsewhere,