“Still My Favorite Restaurant Anywhere” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 761 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Conyers, Georgia
“Still My Favorite Restaurant Anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I have dined at Sea Captains House at least once for every trip to
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. This tradition began in April of 1965. Much of that weekend was disappointing due to the cold weather, but we were trying to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, so we set out to find a really nice restaurant. I honestly don't remember how we arrived at Sea Captains House, but I do remember how welcoming they were to us and accommodated our request for a table with a view of the ocean. Since we arrived at sunset, so we didn't see much of the ocean, but we loved the food and atmosphere of this restaurant.

From our first visit and on our many visits since we have always been served delicious salads and all the hush puppies we could eat, followed by our choice of seafood or non-seafood dishes. My choice for a number of years was bear battered shrimp! Unfortunately, that has been discontinued, but I still enjoy fried shrimp and/or crab cakes! Yum!

For many of our visits we thought we were "splurging" on our budget, so we only ate once per visit at Sea Captains House. However, in recent years we've been offered "senior portions", which are more than enough food and enable us to eat here twice in our three to four night stays at the beach.

My only concern about writing this review is the possibility that too many people will compete for our table at Sea Captains House! We've learned to go early and enjoy a table with an ocean view!

I've recommended Sea Captains House to friends who have had the same wonderful experiences we have. I'm sure you will agree with us!

Visited May 2011

abingdon
“Would not eat there again. Expensive and mediocre food. Great view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I went to the Sea Captain's at dinner time. Had to wait 30 minutes, no big deal since it was prime eatting time. Front door staff was courteous. They do not accept call in reservations. This is a family type place (plenty of room for large parties). Restaurant really looks like sea captain's house. Nice beachy decor. Has a bar waiting area with tables and live music. Also has a nice waiting area outback with ocean view. We were seated at an awesome tablet with a great view of the ocean. We ordered crab dip which was pretty good. Salad and hush puppies were good. The service was somewhat lacking because we both ran out of drinks serveral times. My husband and I both ordered fried seafood. The shrimp and oysters were good but not the best I've ever had. The scallops were probably the worst scallops I've ever eatten. They were spongy and the breading was soft. The meal was pretty expensive (you could eat red lobster cheaper).
The hotel desk clerk and another tourist recommended this place but I wasn't impressed. The food was too expensive for what it was. I wouldn't go as far to say it tasted like rabit hutch food as another reviewer.
There was plenty of parking and a golf cart was even picking people up to shuttle them to the restaurant (walking distance was less than a block or so)... Nice thought though.

Probably stays in business because there are enough tourists to eat there once. Would not return

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bloomington, Indiana
“Nice Place, Okay food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We went here for seafood and a lovely setting. The restaurant is beautiful, but the food was not that great. I had the lobster, and was very dry. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying the food, but mine was just not that good. There is a view of the ocean everywhere. It is more upscale, but no dress code, lots of people who looked like they just finished playing golf. There is a nice outdoor area where you can wait for a table and see the ocean, and an outdoor bar area.

Visited May 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We thought for sure this would be a tourist trap, but were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. It's a popular place so be ready to wait up to an hour depending on the day. They do have a closed in bar area to wait or you can walk outside and enjoy the ocean view. The salad was nothing special, but we both had the fried seafood combination and it was very good. Not overly heavy with breading and you could actually taste the seafood! I opted for the baked potato, buy my husband said the cajun rice was good too. Be mindful of that basket of hushpuppies--they are addictive and sooo good. They have a full bar and decent wine menu. We skipped dessert, but there were several options. Service was good and they do know how to manage the large crowds and remain organized.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband and I visited this restaurant about 6 years ago on a "house hunting" trip to Myrtle Beach. I've been whining ever since about going back. I'm sorry I did. We had dinner there last night and it was very disappointing. We had no problem with the 45 minute wait -- they don't accept reservations. We had no problem with where we were seated and our server was attentive. The problem was the food.
I ordered a "Chef's Selection" of swordfish (my favorite) with a hickory hollandaise sauce. When it arrived (along with the baked potato I opted for), it was literally smothered in hollandaise. WAY too much. I scraped that to the side but, unfortunately, the hickory flavor had permeated the fish. All I could taste was hickory. Very overwhelming. My baked potato could have used several more minutes in the microwave. The mixed vegetables (broccoli, zuccini, etc.) looked appealing (very colorful) but was mushy.
My husband ordered crab cakes. We're originally from NJ and have made many a trip down I-95 to Baltimore where the crab cakes are famed. We've learned that, in Myrtle Beach, everyone's interpretation of "Maryland Crab Cakes" falls short of what we're used to and we've come to terms with that. (Not unlike our deflated expectations when ordering a Philly cheesesteak). He was especially disappointed. Simple fact. Some MB, SC "Maryland Crab Cakes" are much closer to the mark. He also thought the vegetables were mushy. He did, however, enjoy the french fries. In all, we spent about $50 (not including wine) for our two entrees.
The complimentary hush puppies were good and the salad okay (a little too light on the dressing for my taste).

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere