“Camping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pirateland Oceanfront Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Pirateland Oceanfront Campground
Monthly Rates
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Camping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice Family atmosphire. Kids everywhere, Great place to camp and get away for the weekend. Lots of stuff to do with the family in the camp ground, never really had to leave. close drive to all of Myrtle Beaces Attractions. Staff was friendly and very helpfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the park! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of our location! We hope to see you again soon!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Okay I have been going to PirateLand for 38 years now. I started coming at 6 months old and continue now with my own family. A Myrtle Beach trip is a hallmark of our summer ...and it wouldn't be a Myrtle Beach trip without staying at PirateLand (Although there were 2 summers where we had to stay at Ocean Lakes because we had pets and needed a beach house for 8 people...and we missed PirateLand so much during those trips that we'd visit the campground).
Over the years I’ve watched PirateLand grow from a popular campground with a line of trailers down Ye Olde King’s Highway waiting in line to get a reserve spot in the overflow area of the campground until someone checked out and they could get a real site to the current popular campground where we can actually make reservations!
I’ve seen it go from dirt roads to paved, from a small square kiddie pool to kiddie pool with a waterfall and a lazy river for adults as well as an indoor pool, from Skeleton Island to Skeleton Point back to Skeleton Island (although technically now a point), from a small pink ice cream stand by the pool (which I miss) to a full service snack bar.
Through all the changes PirateLand has been like a second home to me. I proposed to my wife there and the staff remembers that year to year even though it’s been a decade now. So I thought I’d take you on a little tour of PirateLand (I’ll try to be objective to uphold my journalistic integrity…my wife is good at keeping me in check on these kinds of things by saying “Honey your just being nostalgic…that’s crap.”). So here we go.
The location is perfect. You’re halfway between North Myrtle Beach and Murrell’s Inlet/Pawley’s Island. Access to the highway is about 5 minutes away. So, it’s a good central location…and, of course, it’s right on the ocean. As you pull in you are greeted to a crisp, clean check-in office with a friendly security staff waving you in. The check-in office has been renovated a few years ago and the inside evokes the feelings of a nautical harbor port…under pirate attack. Check in is always quick and courteous but starts promptly at 3:00 I believe. We have in the past been allowed in a few hours early to walk around if we get there too early (Sometimes it’s hard to judge a 10-12 hour drive with a 3 year old).
Now, for years growing up we camped and we’ve stayed all over that place. So I have decades of experience at camping in PirateLand. There are two ways you can go here. You can camp near the ocean in the blazing sun or under the shady trees closer to the pool. There are pros and cons to each. By the ocean, it is hot and if you stay right on the beach road there will be golf carts. Most of these sites, though, do have a shelter with a picnic table and for the most part this area is where you find the big RVs with AC anyways. If you stay more inland, which I prefer, its about a 5 minute walk to the beach but you get the nice cool shade, and it’s quieter…unless you stay right on Market Street or PirateLand Trail. But for your best bet, there are some prime lots right along Long Bay Lake, which are shaded, closer to the beach, less crowded and the most scenic.
One thing I’ll note about camping at PirateLand that differs from other campgrounds are that the lots are roughly the same size but not regimentally squared off with the water and sewer hook ups uniformly in the same place. There is good and bad to this as some campers may not fit in all spaces and the set up may not be best for your vehicle. However, by being able to arrange your camper any way it will fit enables most people to kind of block out their neighbors and create their own customizable space. I actually like it this way. I enjoy having my own unique lot and set up.
On to the bath houses: They are somewhat dated although they have been refurbished about 8 years ago with AC. PirateLand does a good job with keeping these cleaned as they are hosed down and bleached multiple times a day. The other nice thing is there is always a bath house with in about 3 minutes of anywhere you are in the campground. They are comparable, if not better than what I have seen in my camping travels except for the one place that actually does a bathhouse right: Disney’s Fort Wilderness.
The villas: We have been staying in the villas for about 10 years now. There really isn’t much to improve on them. They are clean, have cable television…basically all the amenities of home, or a hotel, but with the benefits of a campground.
I’d like to address a common complaint that I see about every campground in Myrtle Beach: golf carts and fireworks. Yup, they have both of those. There is a nightly golf cart parade of loud teenagers and adults driving all around (but mainly along the ocean and PirateLand Trail). Honestly, I would be terrified of having my three year old near the roads at this time. BUT, that’s my responsibility and I don’t want her around the road in front of my home either. The golf carts and noise stop at 11:00. I have seen this consistently upheld year after year. So, to me it’s not a big deal: some people like to sit around have a few beers and relax at their site, some like to drive back and forth like a taxi at the airport….to each their own. As for fireworks, yup people light off bottle rockets at the beach at night until about 11:00. They aren’t loud, they aren’t huge boomers and they aren’t within PirateLand’s jurisdiction to control (the beach is regulated by the police and sheriff depts.)
The amenities: PirateLand has 2 pools, an indoor pool and an outdoor pool with a lazy river and a nice kiddie pool. I’ve never not found a deck chair at the pool but it does get crowded. Both are clean and nice and I have no complaints about them. There is a mini-golf course that is naturally pirate themed. A staple of PirateLand, to me, is the Blackbeard statue towering over the golf course. Of course he was damaged a few years ago and since being repaired they have painted him like a cowboy (I hope they change him back to his classic colors one day). They have an arcade that mainly has skee ball and pool tables and air hockey (who needs arcade machines these days) and a full service snack bar with burgers, chicken, pizza and ice cream. There is a general store and a laundromat that I find to be quite adequate. Also there are multiple playgrounds all over the campground.
Now to make PirateLand better:
Open a snackbar by the beach. I don’t know how this wasn’t done already and can only assume it would be quite busy and profitable.
Update the bathhouses again.
Add more foliage, plants and greenery to the pool area (cheap fix that would add a lot of atmosphere).
Get new mattresses in the villas. Mattresses need replaced about every 3-5 years in accomodations
Make a few villas pet friendly. Certainly there are enough renters who wouldn’t mind using a pet villa. They are excluding people here (we’ve been forced to use Ocean Lakes for just this reason). Since they aren’t carpeted they’d be easy to clean.
Add a rollerblade hockey area. It's the tennis of the 2010's!
Have nightly or weekly bonfires at the beach.
Bring back the icecream parlor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Our compliments go out to you as this is one of the most well written, accurate reviews we have ever read about our park! Your descriptions of the different site areas and our amenities are spot on and will surely help future visitors. The feedback you provided on how we may improve is much appreciated. Each year we look at suggestions and other feedback to determine what changes, updates, etc. should be made. This year we updated fixtures and plumbing in most of the bathhouses. We are phasing in new furniture to the vacation rentals and will continue this process over the next few years. Currently, Horry County beach ordinances prohibit fires on the beach; but we’ll talk with the crew about other ways we may be able to create the same kind of atmosphere within the park. All of your suggestions are appreciated and we thank you for your patronage over the years!
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My review is based on the price paid in February - $29.

Staff were great at check in. Park was clean. Washrooms seemed to be getting cleaned constantly, even though the park was sparsely populated. Our only interaction with staff that wasn't excellent was one morning when we wanted to swim and use the washroom near the indoor pool. It was still locked and staff seemed indifferent when we requested it be opened.

Most things were closed since it was the off season, but the indoor pool and sauna were still open, as was the laundry. The pool was very warm and we really enjoyed our swim. I thought it was very odd that there was no washroom in the pool building - you have to go outside and walk maybe 60-75 feet to another building. Worries me that in the cool weather people may not bother to make this trek outside...

All sites included hydro, water, sewer, wifi and cable. I didn't require all those services on my site, but since I was there in the off season the price was still reasonable. Being steps away from the beach was wonderful during the day, and falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves was very nice. Our site had a covered picnic table which was the main reason we decided to stay here. The shelter provided a place to escape the cool breeze by putting up a tarp, and to escape the short rainstorm.

Sites are extremely close together and crowded, but this wasn't a problem since the park was mostly empty in the off season. I don't think it would be our type of park during the busy summer season.

Bathroom buildings were average as far as campgrounds go. Sort of oldish but clean.

We will likely stay here again if we ever return to the Myrtle Beach area.

ktown

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the park! The atmosphere in the off-season is so quiet and relaxing! We appreciate your feedback about the bathrooms near the indoor pool and I'll pass that along to the crew. We really appreciate your taking the time to tell us and future travelers about your experience with us!
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is my first time writing a review, but after reading the negative review from Bob N I just could not resist. I have been staying at Pirateland every year since 1997. My kids were 4 and 5 and now they are 19 and 20 and they still want to spend their vacation at Pirateland with us. Our best times were spent with friends and family at Pirateland. We have always found the campground clean and all of the campground staff friendly. Sure people are having fun, but they are on vacation and I have never seen people drunk or out of control. As far as the people on golf carts riding around at night.....yes, they do ride "the strip" (the ocean front area) continuously at night and yes they are playing their music BUT curfew is 11 p.m. so if you don't like it then you avoid the strip until 11 p.m. At age 50, riding the strip is no longer my thing, however I am happy to see others enjoying their vacation! If you have never visited Pirateland then my advice is to give it a try. My most treasured memories were made there!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your patronage over the years! We really appreciate your taking the time to review the park too! We are grateful to take part in some of your family's traditions and fond memories. And as you mentioned, guests find fun in many different activities including cruising around the main roads or watching others cruise. If guests want to avoid the cruising activity, we recommend sites away from the main roads. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to your return!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a great stay. The little huts at each ocean view site are so convenient. Its nice to not have everything under the awning. Good price in the off season and they discount for Good Sam. Beautiful outdoor pool and lazy river. Loved the peaceful sound of the waves breaking.

I'm sure this is a great place for families with kids in the summer with the many amenities and activities offered, but October was perfect for us to get away and relax. They do need to update their bathhouses and indoor pool. Once this is done, I wouldn't hesitate to rate this an excellent.

Room Tip: Choose an inland site if you need shade as there is plenty of it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay! The fall season is a great time to get away for a relaxing visit. We appreciate your feedback about the bathhouses and indoor pool. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to have you again!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We tent camped with 6 families - lots of fun! We booked adjoining sites right up by the beach. I loved the proximity to the beach, but if the sites are very close together, if you weren't in tents and wanting to be with your neighbor. Each site had a 10x10 shelter, which worked out perfectly. The kids had a blast, and biked all over the place! We were there off season, so the traffic wasn't bad, but I would bet in peak season, there would be an overwhelming amount of cars and golf carts on the main roads. Those driving around were very careful of people walking and riding bikes. The kids loved the mini-golf. They did go in the lazy river, though it was quite cold in October. The beach was very clean. It does get VERY narrow at high tide. I couldn't imagine everyone fitting in at peak season! The facilities were very clean, store stocked, and staff nice! We would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: If you are tent camping you can either use the RV sites up front, or stay back in the trees by the l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your stay! It's great to hear the group had a good time. We are in a great location here on the beach. And you're right; in the summer it is very busy. I'll pass along your compliments to the crew and hopefully we'll see you again soon (maybe when the lazy river is a little warmer - early June is usually pretty nice and not too busy)!
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went to the beach and stayed at Pirateland campground with my family the Cooper's! We were in site 837 was a very good site leval and with enough room to put up a large screened tent! The campground was very clean and quiet,they had a very nice outdoor pool and lazy river a mini golf course which we enjoyed and a very warm indoor pool and an extra HOT hot tub...maybe a little to hot..LOL..had a wonderful time while on our weeks vacay and anniversary trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers! This is a great time to be at the beach because it is a bit more relaxing and quieter than the summer. It's great to hear you enjoyed our amenities and some family time! I'll check with the pool tech about the hot tub temp. Thank you for staying with us and Happy Anniversary!

Been to Pirateland Oceanfront Campground? Share your experiences!