“Worth the trip” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Arrowhead Road
Description: Established in 1988, Thoroughbreds has positioned itself as the Grand Strands leader in Fine Dining with year after year recognition. Most recent being the 2005 locals and visitors top selection in fine dining and most romantic restaurant, Golf Digest Magazine recommended dining and Wine Spectators’ Award of Excellence (we have over 300 wine and champagne selections in our cellar). We specialize in Certified Angus Beef Steaks and Prime Rib, fresh seafood ,and many gourmet selections as well as unique daily specials. We use only the best ingredients and all of our items are prepared from scratch daily. Tonight you could eat the same thing you get at the chain restaurants back home or you could dine at a true Myrtle Beach Classic.
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Worth the trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were here on Christmas evening and had a great dinner.. The oysters were very good, and all the main courses were excellent. I had the duck, my wife and our friends the veal and pork chops. All very good, fresh, and well prepared, cooked perfectly and lightly sauced. The portions were large and we had no room for dessert. The service was attentive, pleasant and not intrusive. It was really a great dinner

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TbredsGM, General Manager at Thoroughbreds Restaurant, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
gino41,
Thank you for such a wonderful review of our restaurant. We are one of the few restaurants that stays open on every single major holiday, Christmas included. I am glad that you, your wife, and your close friends decided to dine with us on that very special holiday. Our Oysters Thoroughbred is one of our most popular appetizers. Those are local oysters that we prepare in a fashion similar to that of Oysters Rockefeller, yet with our own special twist. The Duck du Jour, Veal Francaise, and Honey-Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops have been locals' favorites for many years. Thank you for mentioning our service as well. We train our servers to have personality and exude the utmost efficiency, all while remaining invisible and unobtrusive. Thank you for the wonderful comments. We appreciate your business, and hope to see you here again before next Christmas! I wish you safe and happy travels!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Tired menu - bored staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Came here with my husband the first night of our holiday in December. Jeez... were we disappointed! A FOUR star place..
Service was lackadaisical. Food was mediocre. Decor from the 70's. Wine by the glass dreadful. The best thing was a mixed green salad.
You can do lots better.

Dianne B,
Thank you for your review of our restaurant. I wish you had explained why you thought our service was lackadaisical, and how our food was mediocre. We completely remodeled this restaurant in 2004, so an explanation on how our decor is reminiscent of the 1970's would also have been appreciated. I take criticism as well as anyone, but when we receive a 1 star review, with no pertinent evidence or explanation as to why we earned said rating, it makes me question the authenticity of this review. Specific examples of your experience would help me to fix these "problems," so that the next Tripadvisor member may have a better experience. Moreover, if you do feel your service has been inadequate and the food quality below your standards, please notify an employee or manager on duty. Any one of our service professionals would have been more than happy to assist you during your dining experience. I hope that you will dine with us again, and allow us the opportunity to showcase why we have been voted Best of the Beach for over a decade. I wish you safe and happy travels.

North Augusta, South Carolina
“Worth the Trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stopped here by chance before attending Carolina Opry for a quick bite. Boy were we lucky! This is a white tablecloth restaurant that we will make time to drive the 35miles to come to for a leisurely dinner next time we come to the beach. I ordered the Blackened beef tips with bearnaise sauce and a side of creamed spinach. The spinach was fresh and not overcooked and the cream sauce was not too rich or heavy. The beef tips had a great flavor and not overcome with hot spices. My husband got the soup of the day, Minestrone, which he said was the best that he had had in many years. He also ordered the fried Calamari. This was the real deal-- NOT FROZEN--fresh, tender lightly battered. We are looking forward to coming back!

Visited December 2013
TbredsGM, General Manager at Thoroughbreds Restaurant, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Laura,
Thank you for writing such a thoughtful and honest review of our restaurant. Being centrally located on Restaurant Row, we have become a popular spot for guests that are attending any one of our many amazing theaters. I'm glad that you enjoyed your appetizers. Our Happy Hour has been a hit for quite some time. The blackened beef tips and calamari are two of my favorites. And you are correct in the fact that our calamari is fresh, never frozen! That minestrone soup is prepared by one of our most talented chefs. It's his own secret family recipe that has been in his family for generations. He actually owned and operated a successful fine dining restaurant just up the road in Little River for over 20 years! After selling the restaurant, he came to Thoroughbreds and brought with him decades worth of great ideas and recipes. You will not find that minestrone anywhere else on this beach. It's rare that he makes it, but when he does, it doesn't last the night.
Once again, thank you for posting your review. We value your business and opinion. We hope to serve you and your husband again in the near future. I wish you safe and happy travels!

Buford, Georgia
“Unbelievable , a must if your out for fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Visited this restaurant on Thanksgiving night to take my amazing and beautiful wife out for dinner! And was amazes at the professionalism of the establishment. From the lady who helped me with our reservation, to the timely seating all the way passed our terrific waiter ( thanks for the margarita !! ) who did his best to spoil us rotten ! The staff was perfect and on key the whole night! The food was to die for not from but for!!! We did not feel rushed at any point and time and Thoroughbreds made it a very special night for my wife who is battling cancer and I wanted her to have the Best Thanksgiving ever , thank you guys for all y'all did ! Pricey ?? Yes , but great food , great atmosphere , and special times aren't always cheap!!! Will refer Thoroughbreds to everyone and look forward to getting back to MB to see you guys. Thanks Again! Kevin- Kathy .

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kevin,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of our restaurant. Thanksgiving is our busiest day of the year. That day takes many weeks of preparation and effort by the staff. It gives me and the entire staff a great feeling of satisfaction to know that you and your lovely wife enjoyed your time here. We truly appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We look forward to hosting you again, and will keep a margarita glass ready for when you return. I wish you safe and happy travels!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Come here if you're looking for quality in lieu of value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Thoroughbred's is my favorite restaurant in Myrtle Beach, so far!

I've been twice and will definitely say that this is a special occasion type of place. If you are looking for an affordable meal, Thoroughbred's is not your place.

I order the filet mignon (the cheapest steak they offer at $34, aside from prime rib which I think is cheaper), Oscar style (an additional $10). Entrees come with a complimentary side salad, but my group prefers the tableside Caesar (I believe it is $10 pp to order the Caesar and more than one person in your group must order it).

On my most recent trip to Thoroughbred's, I ordered a martini ($13!!!). I should've just asked for a shot of liquor because the drink was incredibly strong, couldn't taste the cranberry juice at all. Another in my group ordered a lemon drop and hers was also very strong. These were very large martinis made with top-shelf liquor, so I guess the $13 cost is justified. I just happen to like my drinks more fruity than liquor-y (which is probably the opposite of most people!)

We each had a coupon for a free dessert. Basically, with the coupons, if you have two people in your group you can get one dessert to share and if you have four people in your group, you can get two to share. The only complaint I had was that the dessert was so fantastic (and we'd all already spent so much money), I wish the coupon would've covered an individual dessert for each of the four members of my party. I didn't wanna share! :) We had the creme brulee and some kind of pecan/chocolate pie-thing, all wonderful.

Service at Thoroughbred's is always fantastic. I love the atmosphere. It's intimate, quiet, and romantic, all while retaining an up-scale feel. Once again, let me re-iterate that this isn't "cheap" food. But, it IS worth every cent, if you have the money to make a visit.

I plan to visit again next year!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TbredsGM, General Manager at Thoroughbreds Restaurant, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
BeachinBeauty,
Thank you for writing such an honest and informative review of our restaurant. We value your opinion as a repeat customer and thank you for coming back to Thoroughbreds for a second time. Although our prices are high, you mentioned that your meal was worth every cent. I truly appreciate the fact that you enjoy high quality ingredients prepared by classically-trained chefs, all while relaxing in our cultured, yet cozy ambiance.
Our beef is considered in the top 5% nationwide. We hand select our cuts of beef based upon marbling, age, and color. Therefore, this upper echelon of quality is reflected in our menu pricing. We are 1 of only 2 restaurants on the Grand Strand that offer tableside service. The Caesar salad is an absolute "must have" item when dining at Thoroughbreds. Our servers are trained to create a masterful combination of fresh ingredients right at your table. The result is the best Caesar salad in Myrtle Beach.
I apologize for the healthy pour on your martinis. Typically, a traditional liquor drink consists of a 1.25 ounce pour. We pour 1.5 ounces in our traditional cocktails. However, martinis are a different story. We have specially selected certain spirits and mixers to create our unique martini list. Our martinis require a full 2 ounce pour of the liquor(s) or combination thereof. Perhaps my bartender was a little heavy-handed on the evening of your visit. For that, I do apologize. Your drink should have been smooth & well-rounded, and not so strong that you could barely enjoy it. I have addressed this issue with my bar manager and the staff. We will still maintain a 2 ounce pour, but will strive to create more consistency, and offer our patrons a more polished final product.
I'm glad that you stayed for dessert. We have many customers who will dine at other establishments, but finish their night here, at Thoroughbreds, for dessert. Although two of our desserts are made locally by a pastry chef, the rest are made right here in-house. Regardless of your choice, you will receive a freshly made dessert that is sure to send you out the door with a smile.
Once again, I'd like to thank you for the kind words. We value your opinion more than you know and I look forward to hosting you again very soon. I wish you safe and happy travels!