“Favorite meal of the year!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Arrowhead Road
Description: Established in 1988, Thoroughbreds has positioned itself as the Grand Strands leader in Fine Dining with year after year recognition. Most recent being the 2005 locals and visitors top selection in fine dining and most romantic restaurant, Golf Digest Magazine recommended dining and Wine Spectators’ Award of Excellence (we have over 300 wine and champagne selections in our cellar). We specialize in Certified Angus Beef Steaks and Prime Rib, fresh seafood ,and many gourmet selections as well as unique daily specials. We use only the best ingredients and all of our items are prepared from scratch daily. Tonight you could eat the same thing you get at the chain restaurants back home or you could dine at a true Myrtle Beach Classic.
North Andover
“Favorite meal of the year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I go on an annual golf trip to Myrtle Beach. By far my favorite meal of the year is with my buddies at Thoroughbreds. Love the garlicky table side prep Caesar. Love the steaks and chops. Year after year 8 guys heartily agree that Thoroughbreds is our final nights meal to put an exclamation on an always fun trip.

• Visited March 2012

78% Recommend
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“So glad we returned!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had not been to this restaurant in several years, but decided to give it a try on our most recent trip to the area. We were not disappointed! Service was great, food was delicious. We had prime rib (the best we have found in the area recently) and crab cakes. There were lots of folks in the restaurant (always a good sign) and the atmosphere is very nice. This is truly a fine dining experience (and the prices reflect that), but we will definitely return the next time we are in the mood for this type of meal at the beach.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Fine Dining? Not exactly...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The restaurant is beautiful- the ambiance is certainly there, but there were certain elements of fine dining that definitely fell short of my expectations. We were greeted at the front door by a hostess in cargo blue jeans who led us to our table, winding through the bar where there was a single patron at the bar who was very casually dressed in cutoff jean shorts and a stained tshirt- not exactly the best first impression.

We were delighted to be seated next to the fireplace. When the waiter approached he was pleasant and friendly. We noted that color appropriate napkins were not offered to prevent the white linen from leaving lint on our black clothing. The table was never crumbed between courses- just little things that are indicative of a finer dining establishment. I ordered the Ahi Tuna appetizer and a side salad, as well as a side order of spinach. My husband ordered the Ribeye.

My food was attractively presented and although the portion size for the tuna was a bit small for the price, the flavor was good and the spinach was really good. My husband's ribeye was way overcooked and had to be sent back. A second ribeye was brought out, this time much too rare, so again this steak had to be sent back. By this time I was almost finished with my meal, while my husband had had nothing but a salad. Finally when the steak was presented for the third time it was cooked as ordered. The waiter never apologized, nor did we ever see a manager although it is usually customary for a manager to visit the table, especially if there is an issue. Throughout the meal there were several times that my husband was without tea refills as well.
The next day, my husband decided to call the restaurant and report the issue, as he was not certain a manager was even informed that there was a problem. An assistant manager stated that he would have the manager contact my husband. Four days later my husband received an email from the assistant manager stating that the manager had been very busy but that he would definitely be contacting my husband for more details about the handling of this dinner. It has now been 6 days and still nothing. It is my impression that Thoroughbreds is just another tourist type restaurant that would prefer not to have the references of locals to fall back on. Certainly there are many other restaurants that offer a level of service that leaves this one in the dust.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Dover, Delaware
“Outstanding dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just left Thoroughbreds and it was outstanding dinner.We eat out quite often and this meal tonight ranks right up near the best that we have experienced, We had Chateau Briand . It came with grilled asparagus, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, and house salad. this meal left both my wife and I just completely satisfied but not overstuffed. WOW! The waitress's name was Lisa and she was extra special as well. Meal complete!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Thoroughbred by name”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

What a restaurant . Top food , lovely ambiance . Could not fault it .
12 guys from England celebrating a birthday , good food , good wine , great staff . Need I say more .

• Visited September 2012