“Very nice ocean front villas in myrtle beach” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Very nice ocean front villas in myrtle beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Since we are marriott rewards customers we usually book hotels through the phone app and when looking for a place in myrtle beach this hotel looked great! I guess I didn't realize at first that this was a hybrid of a hotel and condo complex but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a great long-weekend stay and will be coming back.

Pros: this place has beautiful grounds and pools. The complex is large so even though I think they were pretty full the weekend we were there it didn't seem too crowded. There is a pool bar where you can order drinks and food. The drinks were super tasty. The crowd seemed tame even though school is out and there were lots of kids. The villa was large and well decorated plus quiet and comfortable. We were in the building overlooking the main pool and ocean and I would recommend staying there. The beach area was nice and clean. This hotel is away from the main strip and so the surrounding beach wasn't too crazy. There are plenty of chairs by the pool. It's nice to have beach chairs and umbrellas to rent instead of having to lug a ton of belongings down there.

Cons: even though there is a pool bar with food available it's a little disappointing there is no pool server to allow you to order food and drink from your seat. Also we would have liked a few more restaurant choices. Since this is not a hotel resort I guess this should be expected but we still wish there could be pool servers and more food choices.

We enjoyed our stay and will be coming back for another long weekend this summer :)

• Stayed June 2013

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family kicked-off our 2013 Summer here at the Marriott Grand Dunes!
We enjoyed a wonderful stay in an oceanfront 2-bedroom unit!
Our accommodations were beautiful, the amenities available on site are outstanding!
Beautiful beach, outstanding pools, great restaurants and bars and amazing staff throughout the entire facility!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a very nice resort. I'm not a huge fan of Myrtle Beach in general, but this place is a gem. Rooms were clean and well done. Wonderful pool and poolside surroundings. If you are going to Myrtle Beach, this is your place.

Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Great for families! We will vacation here again!
Would like to see more on-property eating/dining options so that you don't have to navigate HWY 17 or 17BR.
Concierge desk extremely helpful.

Don't book over Memorial Day because the traffic/noise is horrendous related to Bike Week

Willams Township, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We are Marriott Vacation Club owners who own a week in the Grande Vista in Orlando. Since we have a lock off feature we are able to split our week for two weeks every year, one of which we usually trade in to Hilton Head, SC around this time every year. We (my husband, myself and our two children; ages 12 and 9) decided to try something different this year. To be perfectly honest, I have never been a big fan of Myrtle Beach due to the large crowds and heavy amount of traffic that I remember the last several times I had been here; however after reading all the positive reviews about Ocean Watch, we decided to give it a try (especially since my husband and children and not been to Myrtle Beach before). Unfortunately our first impression was not a good one. We had no idea that Memorial Day weekend had now also become "bike weekend" in Myrtle Beach. When we arrived on that Saturday, the main strip that runs through the town was literally a parking lot. You could not move, and I mean anywhere!! It was an absolute nightmare. I know that really has nothing to do with Ocean Watch but I mention it because it was our first impression. Thank goodness that after the weekend was over, the traffic seemed to return to "normal" and the crowds seemed to die down so we were able to enjoy the resort and drive around town without having to wait in hours of traffic. With that being said, OceanWatch is a very nice resort. It is what we (as Marriott Vacation owners) have come to expect whenever we stay at a Marriott Vacation Property; nice grounds, spacious villas (although this resort seemed to be one of Marriott's smaller ones as far as villa size goes), beautiful pools, and top notch service. In fact, I think that the more Marriott vacations properties you visit, the more spoiled you become. When we stay in Hilton Head, we are usually able to trade in to an ocean front property (Marriott has 4 ocean front resorts in Hilton Head alone) so when we found out that we were in one of the back buildings at OceanWatch, I was a little disappointed. We spoke with the resort manager who was extremely accommodating but explained that the resort was completely sold out. There were rooms available in the ocean front villas but they were on the ground floor with no view so we opted to stay in the back building on the 14th floor which still had a beautiful (unobstructed) view of the ocean. We already knew the way Marriott works when it comes to requesting rooms; OceanWatch owners who purchased their week in an ocean front unit get first choice, then other Marriott owners, then Interval traders (non Marriott) and then renters. Now that Marriott has gone to their new point system, you can also purchase a ocean front villa with points. With that being said, as one other reviewer wrote, the two back buildings ended up being a decent choice if you have younger kids. They have a tree house playground (probably the biggest and nicest Marriott playground we have ever seen), as well as the "Woodsey" pool, which is the most child friendly out of the 5 pools on the property. The walk to the beach is not more than five minutes, and although I know it can be a little long when you have younger children, it honestly is not bad. If you want to take the "risk" of leaving your chairs, boogey boards, and other beach items close the beach (so you don't have to drag them back and forth to the villa every day), Marriott has plenty of "cubbies" that you can store your "stuff" in. I mentioned the word "risk" because unfortunately the first day we left our items, someone "took" my daughter's dolphin boogie board. I know it is not an expensive item, and one that can easily be replaced, but when my son spotted it in someone else's child buggy (face down) , and the mother claimed that she thought that the items in the cubbies were owned by Marriott for others to use, I became a little upset. She "thought" that the items were in the cubbies for others to use?? Really? I think it was more like she was helping herself to other people's property and hoping that she didn't get caught. The ironic part of that whole thing is that my daughter's boogie board had a small tear on the bottom of it so there was no denying that it was hers. When the mother was caught red handed, I think that was the only thing she could think of saying. Please! No one can be that stupid. I know it was only a $ 20.00 boogie board but it was not the cost but rather the point. If you can afford to stay at the Grand Ocean, you can afford to go buy your child her own boogie board!! We reported the loss to security but they told us that it has happened before so that is why they posted signs (we didn't see them) that they were not responsible for property left there, which of course, I already assumed. The reason I am writing all this in my review is to warn others not to leave anything valuable in the cubbies because Marriott will claim no responsibility for it. Once I got over the issue of our boogie board theft (which was the first time anything was ever stolen from us at any of the Marriott properties), the rest of our week was enjoyable. We really stayed at the resort most of the time but ventured out and rode the "Sea Thunder" one day which was an enjoyable boat dolphin/thrill ride (reasonably priced) and also ate lunch at one of the cute river front restaurants. I think it was called Key West or something like that. We had their fish tacos and there were excellent . In conclusion, I will say that this was a very nice property however it was not my favorite . If you have definitely decided on staying in Myrtle Beach, then this is probably one of the nicest properties, but if you are contemplating staying elsewhere (like HHI), I say go for the latter.

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We took our first family vacation this past year to Marriott's OceanWatch Villas in Myrtle Beach, SC. Since we were traveling with two small children, ages 4 and 9 months, it was important that we stayed at a villa rather than a hotel.

Pros:
We went during a non-peak time (May 2013) and it was not crowded at all. The villa was very clean and staff was very friendly. The rooms were very spacious and were very comfortable. We stayed in the back building which I had read mixed reviews on prior to our visit. Although it is somewhat of a hike to the beach and the main building, it actually worked out better for us. Our location was right next to the fitness center, playground, s'more fire pit, kiddie pool and putting green. Our 4 year old had so much fun going between the playground and the kiddie pool that we really didn't feel like we were missing much by not being close to the beach. Plus, who ever stayed in the villa for the baby's nap could sit out on the patio and see the playground (not the pool unfortunetly). Kiddie pool was great and even had a small waterslide. Playground was great too!

Cons:
If you are in the back building and are going for the beach aspect, it is a bit of a hike to the beach and the main building, especially if you have two small children like we did. Also, there were not a lot of kids activities. The activities center was very disappointing and was a lot of old, used, broken toys with missing parts. If your children enjoy crafts than I am sure it was fine but all the crafts had a charge. Another thing that surprised/disappointed me was the food selection. The kiddie pool food stand closed at 4 which was very odd to me and there was not a kid friendly restuarant on site. Also, the marketplace shop had very limited options in the event that you forgot anything. Luckily there is a Kroger really close so that wasn't too big of an issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is great for families with kids. We were there with teenagers who were always off doing something. Young kids would love it with the pools, tree house and other kid friendly games and activities. Everyone uses the great outdoor grills that are cleaned to shine each morning. All you smell is bbq each evening. You are still near all the tourist sights and restaurants but far enough to be away from all the honky tonk. You still experience Marriott standards but in a more relaxed way. The hotel is also on the premises, so you can always go there for a more traditional trip or just walk over to get drinks and dinner. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in MB.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes? Share your experiences!