“Ocean Lakes Campground / Stay away from 1249 Sharks Tooth Trail.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Lakes Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
You added Ocean Lakes Family Campground to your Saves list
6001 South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29575   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
New Year's Polar Bears
Pittsburgh
“Ocean Lakes Campground / Stay away from 1249 Sharks Tooth Trail.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My family and I have stayed at Ocean Lakes for the past 3 years and we love it. There is plenty to do for the whole family and the campground is located right on the beach. We will definatley return to Ocean Lakes, but never to 1249 Sharks Tooth Trail. We found this unit thru VRBO. It is listed as a '3 bedroom home and very clean'. Before we rented, we found a negative review of this home descibing excessive roaches and pametto bugs and difficulties by a prior renter in getting a security deposit returned. After speaking to the owner, Elizabeth Burrow, she assured us the review was untrue and there was no insect issue or any other issues. Well, we should have believed what we read. The owner does not disclose in the VRBO listing that this '3 bedroom home' is a partially converted camper. The VRBO pictures ( http://www.vrbo.com/235248) show 2 of the 3 bedrooms only. Bedroom #3 is listed as a full size bed, and is actually not a bedroom at all. It is located in the 'camper ' portion of the home and is a typical camper bed, just a wooden platform sandwiched between 2 walls with a thin camper mattress on top and is just a passthru hallway between the back of the home and the kitchen. Not suitable for any full size adult, let alone a couple. The 2nd day we were there, we were overrrun by roaches and palmetto bugs. They were everywhere, much more then we would expect as normal for southeastern locations. On day number 4, we found mice living in the kitchen under the stove. This unit is small and dark inside, and not well kept at all. The furniture and rugs are worn and stained, and we felt like we had to clean everything before we used it upon our arrival. When we left, after weeks of trying to contact Elizabeth Burrow for the return of our security deposit, she informed me that she was keeping it because we didnt clean the place when we left. Utterly riduculous. We left this shack in better shape than we found it and 'mouse free' to boot. We've been renting vacation homes for 20 years and have never had the security deposit withheld for any reason until now. The weekly rental on this unit is very cheap for this area in the summer and now we know why. Buyer beware. I would not recommend this unit to anyone at any price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hendersonville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We camped on a site that was considered Oceanfront which was 20 steps to beach access which was awesome. The beach was great and the ocean was fun to play in. Even though, we never used it, the pool and rec hall looked really nice and clean. We did utilize the onsite store and cafe a couple of times. The food was good and the prices reasonable. My only complaint were the golf carts. They were constantly cruising non-stop until 11 PM every night with some blaring their music loudly. I think the OL managment could do something to better control this. We did not rent a golf cart ourselves. All in all, we thought Ocean Lakes was a very nice RV resort, and we have already booked the same week of Labor Day for next year.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. We stayed about 5 sites back from the beach, which was nice. It is a very large campground with 95% RV campers. If not staying near the beach, then a golf cart is recommended. The bath house was clean enough. I would also recommend the icecream shop!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Cornelius, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Hi,
We have been coming here for the last 6 years, we always were at Lakewood and our friends were always at OL and would say just try it once, and we did Labor Day weekend several years ago, and we will go no were else in MB. If we cant get in we dont go. But I have learned over the years, if you want to go during a Holiday or the Summer. BOOK IT-18 months out. I have made notes on my Calender and call that day and always get in. I also book the whole year for Memorial Day, Summer (5 wks), Labor Day, Sept Craft show, and Halloween and never had a problem with reservations. My children LOVE this place, esp. the Golf Carts at night, I have a 19yr old and 12 yr old and they are never bored. My daughter and I also sell Handmade items to help offset the cost there for 5 weeks in the summer. She has been selling The "ORIGINAL" Bottle Cap Necklaces (Cheap hers are only $5 for the COMPLETE necklace) for the last 4 yrs, and I sell Handmade AG Doll Clothes, Hairbows, Clippies, Painted Wooden signs, and Personalized Sand Buckets and Stools. And we will have 2 new SECRET items this year. So check in with us. Here are our dates-5/22-5/26/09(site#K69), 6/20-6/26/09 (site #J33), and 6/26/-7/26/09 (site #J3). Look forward to meeting you all.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

WE take our family to Ocean Lakes for Thanksgiving week every year and stay at 6017. It is a very nice beach house on stilts in a quiet culdesac and had great porches. WE normally invite another family to stay with us and have Thanksgiving dinner there. The beach is great since we can normally enjoy it without the crowds and summer sun burn. We enjoy a long walk to the ocean front River City Cafe and get a great burger without the guilt, because we walk there. Our sons always look forward to it. I also love long walks around Ocean Lakes with my husband and get to talk with lots of nice people staying there. I love to see the newest houses going up too. We give our boys a few bucks and they run off to the rec center and have a great time. Don't miss the Grand Cirque show at Broadway at the Beach or Ripley's Aquarium. Both are worth the admission and we continue to go back to them again and again.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Durham, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

We've stayed at this campground many times and have enjoyed each stay. The facilities are nice. So we planned another trip over the holidays. Unfortunately, we found we needed to change our reservation for the following week. The campsite we had selected was available for the new dates also. I was surprised that when I called, they wanted a $25 cancellation fee. I didn't want to cancel, just change the dates. They wanted $25 to cancel then I could make new reservations. What? I pay $25 to cancel, and then you want me to spend more money here to camp? They've become like a bank now. Charging a fee because they think they can, not to cover any real costs. Nothing was mailed to me, the campground is not sold out, so it really should have been just a simple change in the computer with no real cost. I know I wanted to change dates. Peoples plans change sometimes, despite their best intentions, no need to penalize them for it unless it had cost you something. I *thought* they would prefer to have a paying camper staying there. These days, places that cater to discretionary spending such as this should be bending over backwards for your dollars. Instead, they will get my $25 and I will never return. If they ever wonder why business is "down", they may want to look at policies like this, and maybe add some "flexibility" to it. Like maybe if you cancel there is a fee, if you want to change your arrangements, but still bring the business, waive the charge. Nice campground. But make sure your plans are firm. And I won't see you there...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

We have been camping at Ocean Lakes since 1998 most years twice for 2 weeks at a time. We have been thru many types of weather conditions and the staff has always been very helpful. You feel safe at all times.
The beach front is well kept and the pools are clean.
This is one of our favorite vacation and family reunion places.
There is always plenty to do and losts of time to visit and make new friends.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!