This is not the place for us! We have camped in RV parks all across this country and the atmosphere at OL is like none we have ever encountered while camping. It's loud, it's crowded, it's unruly. Now I know the management at OL likes to say it's not fair to review a facility based on the other guests but I hate to break the news... when you have a large facility filled with drunk, law-breaking, inconsiderate, loud, obnoxious people it is going to affect the way others view what you have to offer.
We came to OL based on recommendations from some people we know and based on the reviews. I hoped the few bad reviews were isolated incidents. They were not. Obviously, there are many, many people who love OL but if you are looking for a quite, relaxing place to vacation by the ocean... this is not it. Don't bring small children here. It is not safe. The golf carts are out of control. They do not obey the rules. It is not safe to walk or ride a bike here.
We were awoken one night (at 11pm) out of a dead sleep by what felt like our camper being bombed. I thought for sure our propane was exploding. We then realized it was fireworks being discharged not too far from our camper on the beach. We had to get out of bed and leave the premises in order to soothe our small child who was trembling in fear. The beach here is littered with cigarettes and firework debris. I actually feel sorry for OL management because I think they do their best to try to contain the out of control behavior but it's probably nearly impossible. I also feel sorry for the people who say they have vacationed here for the last 20 years. They have no idea what they are missing elsewhere.
With all of that being said... The staff we encountered at OL (yes, even security) was nice and polite. The Meet and Eat had good food at reasonable prices.
The pool was nice but impossible to use due to overcrowding. We just aren't into the party crowd, and the golf carts, quite frankly, scare me, so we will not return. Never...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This national award-winning park is known for its amenities, year round activities, and outstanding customer service. Opened in 1971, it is family owned. Ocean Lakes is the 5-time winner of National "RV Park of the Year" by ARVC (2012/2011, 2008/09, 2003-03, 1999 & 1997); received an "A" Grade (2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008) by its guests through GuestRated; and is the 2006 South Carolina Governor’s Cup winner. Located on 310 oceanfront acres, Ocean Lakes Family Campground features 893 campsites (600 with concrete pads) and 300 rental houses (beach houses, park models, etc.) reserved through Ocean Lakes Properties. All campsites are pull-through and generally accommodate 40' campers or larger with slideouts on both sides. Tents are welcome. Campsite rates include: 20-30-50 amp electric, water, sewer, 70-channel cable TV hookup, phone jack with free local calls, wi-fi, picnic table, the number in your family and pet(s), see policies on web. Campsite reservations are made up to 18 months in advance according to site availability and sites are reserved by specific site number. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Ocean Lake Family Campground
- Ocean Lakes Campground Myrtle Beach