“Momma always says "Never say never" but I feel fairly confident saying NEVER again...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Lakes Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
You added Ocean Lakes Family Campground to your Saves list
6001 South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29575   |
Hotel packages
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

This is not the place for us! We have camped in RV parks all across this country and the atmosphere at OL is like none we have ever encountered while camping. It's loud, it's crowded, it's unruly. Now I know the management at OL likes to say it's not fair to review a facility based on the other guests but I hate to break the news... when you have a large facility filled with drunk, law-breaking, inconsiderate, loud, obnoxious people it is going to affect the way others view what you have to offer.
We came to OL based on recommendations from some people we know and based on the reviews. I hoped the few bad reviews were isolated incidents. They were not. Obviously, there are many, many people who love OL but if you are looking for a quite, relaxing place to vacation by the ocean... this is not it. Don't bring small children here. It is not safe. The golf carts are out of control. They do not obey the rules. It is not safe to walk or ride a bike here.
We were awoken one night (at 11pm) out of a dead sleep by what felt like our camper being bombed. I thought for sure our propane was exploding. We then realized it was fireworks being discharged not too far from our camper on the beach. We had to get out of bed and leave the premises in order to soothe our small child who was trembling in fear. The beach here is littered with cigarettes and firework debris. I actually feel sorry for OL management because I think they do their best to try to contain the out of control behavior but it's probably nearly impossible. I also feel sorry for the people who say they have vacationed here for the last 20 years. They have no idea what they are missing elsewhere.
With all of that being said... The staff we encountered at OL (yes, even security) was nice and polite. The Meet and Eat had good food at reasonable prices.
The pool was nice but impossible to use due to overcrowding. We just aren't into the party crowd, and the golf carts, quite frankly, scare me, so we will not return. Never...

• Stayed August 2012
TeammateMPR, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Lakes Family Campground, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for trying Ocean Lakes. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and our service, including our food. We do work very hard to try and maintain a family-friendly environment. That being said, families are not what they used to be, so at times it is more of a challenge. We have implemented several new tactics to address the situation, send a message, and condition the "party animals" that we want you to have fun but have NO problem removing them from our park.

We do understand that we are not for everyone and are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our park. Living in Myrtle Beach/Horry County, fireworks are prevalent throughout the Grand Strand, at times disturbing some guests, and welcomed by others. However, I would not label us for the "party crowd." I have a 7 year old and know that he is safe in the campground, of course, I do not leave him unattended (anywhere we go) being a cautious parent. Certainly our park has seasons, something we try to communicate to our first time guests. When the kids are out of school we are a very busy place, when the kids are back in school we have a much calmer, quieter feel.

We wish you safe travels where ever the road takes you, and hope you will at least visit Myrtle Beach again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We assembled 7 families from around the country to share a few houses at Ocean Lakes for a reunion this summer. It was a PERFECT location. Something for everyone from age 0 - 70! Teenagers could safely enjoy activities independently. Little ones had jungle gym right on beach and houses were steps from ocean for easy snacks and naps. Parental units could kick back on beach or big decks and relax. Big variety of homes to rent. We picked large one right on beach to give us a beachfront home base (A-9 is awesome), and one a bit further back as rate is cheaper when not directly on the ocean but still steps away (921 was well-maintained, great lay-out, and golf carts can be included). The nightly golf cart parade is a sight to behold (and fun to participate in) -- as well as well-controlled and shuts down at bedtime. If you're looking for an exotic beach vacation with lots of solitude and few neighbors, this is NOT the place. But if you're searching for a laid back property will all kinds of activities and options, as well as a GREAT stretch of family-friendly beach, and affordable, flexible housing choices...then this is the place. We LOVED it!!

Room Tip: A-9 house has good floor plan, fabulous large decks, and perfect beachfront location 921 house is w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glassboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great concrete sites one charge no matter how many people no extra charges at all !!! No pet or cable charge! No limit on vehicles per site! Big sites
Great roads, great laundry, no bugs !! Best ocean front campground anywhere! Great huge pool ! Free spring water ! Ocean is so warm white sandy beachs!

• Stayed May 2012
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family has been coming to Ocean Lakes for 20+ years. We always have a good time. I can only speak to the camping side. We have not stayed in one of the houses. We usally stay in one of the ocean front camping sections. Its not everyday you can camp and walk to the beach. The Recreation center offers many activities for kids of all ages, some are are free. Our kids love Kamp Starfish, riding the fire truck, and more. There is plenty to do in this self-contained campground, complete with laundry mat, store, eating places, arcade, mini-golf. If you're a camper, they have an RV center with store for any incidentals or just want to browse other models, propane delivered to your site, concrete pads, etc. Yes, beach and pools do get crowded, but there is plenty of time to go when they are not as crowded. We find mid to late afternoon to go to the beach and evenings best for the pool. Besides a smaller crowd, the sun is low or set and for us that takes out concern over too much exposure. Plus, I think its fun swimming in the pool at night in the outdoors watching fireworks! The main mode of transportation is golf carts. Most people are respectful of rules and quiet hours, but there are always those that are not. I feel this will occur anywhere anytime. The staff is great. They are willing to help or advise as needed. The nature center offers something different to see various shells and such. The have a cute counter to buy shells, some less than $1. This was fun for my 6 year-old to make purchases on his own. He loved it and we went there a few times!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

wow this is a small town all to itself...you can camp, eat, even a well stocked store on site so if you want to, just rent a golf cart for cruising and stay put. very clean even daily trash pickup. we cant wait to come back this year to camp!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I have reviewed Ocean Lakes before but it has been several years ago so I thought it was time for a new review. We have stayed in the campground here probably six different times and have enjoyed it every time. This is a huge park. Almost like a little town. The campsites are spacious, bathhouses very modern and clean, lots of conveniences such as the very well stocked Sandy Mart, snack bars and laundromat. There is a really nice (but way too crowded) pool with an attached arcade/snack bar and a recreation program that has fun activities like karaoke. There is so much here that you really would not have to even leave the park during your stay if you didn't want to (except to buy beer because it is the only thing we needed that is not sold at the Sandy Mart). So many friendly campers here from everywhere. One of the best parts of camping here is meeting your neighbors and watching people.

As much as I love Ocean Lakes, I must say that this park is not for everyone. If you are looking for peace and quiet then go stay somewhere else. Always lots of activity and noise here. There are tons upon tons of people, dogs, kids, houses, campers, rv's, vehicles and golf carts. The golf carts traffic alone is insanity. If you do stay and want a little quieter area, I recommend getting a campsite or house farther from the beach and away from main camp roads. It's a fantastic fun place to stay though. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed from July 28 to Aug 4th. Let's start off with that after I booked our place I read alot of reviews of the place and then I began to doubt my decision on going there. Last time I was there is when I was 18. Which is nearly 20 years ago. Before our arrival I had several questions that I emailed ocean lakes about and each time I got a rather quick response which made happy. Upon our arrival I was literally in and out of the rental office in less than 3 minutes. Then we went to rent a golf cart which was about the same amount of time. both places were extremely friendly.our vacation started out good. I had read that security was a joke but each night we cruised with almost thousand people I constantly observed security trying to keep order in a somewhat chaotic scene. I commend them for how they handled it. I had also read bout it being ocean lakes fault that kids were out of control. But that falls on the parents of how kids act. We have a 12 and 9 ur old. My kids loved the place and they acted like they have sense about them cause that's how they were raised. I read bout no room on the beach. We went everyday at the same time and we had plenty of room. People complain bout partying should go stay up town and deal with all that then they would see ocean lakes handles itself pretty well .with prob over 10K guest at a time I think they deserve some credit. We plan on making ocean lakes our family tradition . In fact we are interested in buying a place there. To finish off. We absolutely loved our vacation. Oh the people that own 1768 was the nicest people we have met.they went out of there way to be as helpful as any one could be.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!