“Still A Family Campground but for HOW LONG?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Lakes Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
You added Ocean Lakes Family Campground to your Saves list
6001 South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29575   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
New Year's Polar Bears
N.C.
“Still A Family Campground but for HOW LONG?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have visited Ocean Lakes for 35 years since I was 12 years old. There has been many changes over the many years and most of them for the better. I have never had any bad experiences here until recently. The problem is with the renters though not the owners or the campgroung itself. I witnessed someone trying to steal anothers stuff at the pool when they got in the pool and the insuing melee when the owner saw them. I had a full bottle of beer thrown from an unknown deck of a house that barely missed my head and busted inside the golf cart I was driving. As with any place there are always trouble makers around and that comes with people renting or campers. If you can afford a place at Ocean Lakes then you dont need to steal or throw bottles at people for fun. There are plenty of security gaurds present and they try to keep the peace but its not possible to catch everyone that is doing something wrong. I think if Ocean Lakes didnt charge such a giant yearly assessment people wouldnt have to rent there places out to people they dont know. The 25 percnt Ocean Lakes charges to rent your place for you is too much, making renting your place that much higher. The price to rent is going up and soon will be all but out of reach for a middle income family to afford. The 300 and some dollars a week to rent a golf cart is obsessive and the fee for a car pass is way overinflated. I hope theres an end in site to the fees and rules Ocean Lakes is imposing on the owners and the new fine to the owners if the police are called is ridiculous. The money Ocean Lakes is taking in is astronomical and all these fees and rules are getting to the pinnacle of what someone can tolerate. I hope that the profits reaped doesnt blind the owners children from what there mother and father created.

Room Tip: See the unit before renting or you could make a big mistake
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
TeammateMPR, Manager at Ocean Lakes Family Campground, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing Ocean Lakes all these years! We are so glad you enjoyed all the improvements we have made over the years, and thank you for the compliments regarding our operation, and our teammates such as security. The problems that you recently encountered are the exact reasons that we have implemented the new policy and we have taken action to maintain our mission: a family friendly campground. Most of our guests and Annual Lease Holders, like yourself, are a big part of our campground’s success and continued improvement (garnering national award winning recognition year after year). Ocean Lakes is owned by the family that built our park in 1970, whose goal was, and is, to provide a place for a oceanfront destination for families. However, a few Annual Lease Holders that don’t seem to share these same concerns are proving the old adage “it only takes one bad apple....” Yes, we have implemented a new policy to encourage everyone to follow our existing policies and become more diligent about their renters and guests and for your protection and continued enjoyment of the property. In truth, we have received many responses from Annual Lease Holders to our new policy and they are overwhelmingly positive. We are a place to have fun with your family, not “party central” and our intention is to send that message to the few who have impacted our guests and teammates their experiences at Ocean Lakes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Assateague Island, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We have been vacationing here for the past 8 years and find this campground to be our favorite ocean front destination. We enjoy the less crowded off season and winter months. The sites are fantastic, offering concrete pads, WES cable tv, Free WiFi and even a phone line. They have plenty of activities, large swimming pools, including indoor heated, a large arcade, large laundry facility, a beautiful shopping center, and great places to eat at.
Nothing like waking up in the morning to the sound of the ocean, hop on the golf cart and go to Sandys meet and eat for a fresh cup of coffee, head back to the site, take a morning stroll on the beach, etc etc. They always have great activities, bingo etc, dicount tickets are available at the recreation building for local attractions. The staff and security do a great job. The place is always kept very clean. I cant say enough about this place. We have enjoyed it so much. It is worth the 525 mile drive. I can understand why they recieved the #1 Campground (mega category) in the USA for the 4th time along with many other awards. There are several other campgrounds in the Myrtle Beach area, but this is the only one we would consider. Happy camping folks. :)

Room Tip: Great web site... Rentals available, including ocean front homes to rent.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Kingsport, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I recently was going to visit my cousins who were camped at Ocean Lakes. Our plans were to go out for lunch. When I arrived at the gate, the guard told me that I needed a pass. At the office, I was asked for my name, address, phone number, car tag number. To my surprise the clerk asked me to pay $5.00. I was told that I needed to pay this to enter the property. I refused to pay and phoned my cousins to meet me elsewhere. I hope my cousins find another campground to camp next year.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is the most proficiently run campground we have ever encountered in our many years of camping all over the Southeast. Management's implied goal is to assure a pleasant experience for campers who are considerate of others. We've been three times now, all after the summer tourist season (we'd been warned about inattentive parents allowing children to run amok during the summer months. Glad to read below that every effort is made to rein in offenders).

The grounds are amazingly immaculate, given the expansive size of this place, and security is very frequently seen monitoring activity around the camp sites, ensuring everyone's safety.

We've yet to meet an unfriendly staff member, including the ones at the office who've registered us and answered our many questions with a smile during each visit.

We have found a new favorite destination in Ocean Lakes Campground and can't wait to go back next spring.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cumberland, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We had a wonderful time. Bathhouse was very clean regardless of the time of day. Didn't have a problem with the golf carts or kids as listed in other reviews. We were there for 3 wks in October and the weather was great the majority of the time. Fireworks were a problem with pets but there is no control over it when they are set off on the beach. Met two of the security officers and they were very helpful and very nice every time we saw them patroling the area. One security person said she had been there 15 yrs. That says something for the campground management.
The only thing we were concerned with was the amount of wrecks occurring in the campground. We watched several RVers hit the front of other rvs with the back of their rvs while pulling into their sites. Mainly travel trailers and fifth wheels doing the damage. Very easy to do so pay attention as the roads can be very tight.
As with every campground, there are rules and regulations. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary required as far as we were concerned. We usually ck it out before we get there.
Met some wonderful people and hope to see them there next yr.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I booked OLFC online in May "11" with never being there before. I read thru the reviews of others and had many concerns in regards to golf carts and theft. When the terrible incident happened in August I questioned myself many timesof keep the reservation. I kept it with doubt. We arrived on Sept. 16, 2011 early evening and departed on Sept. 24, 2011. We are so happy we kept the reservation. The ocean front (where we were) section was very nice, the concrete pad is wonderful and very clean. The campground was one of the nicest we have stayed at in MB and we have stayed in several. we liked it so much we booked two weeks for next year already and we never do that. Wanted to make sure we got a site.

We did have two things we were not happy with; 1) 5th wheel beside us did not have a sewer donut on his sewer hose to keep in odor (it was bad) and they were not friendly people 2) our site was narrower than others in grounds. the first complaint I think the security should check for those issues and hopefully a donut ring is manditory for sewer and second complaint we took care of ourselves by walking around and choosing the wider sites before we to office to book next years site.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

While the facilities are above average, if you plan to visit, KNOW ALL THE RULES! Security prowls looking for any infraction, with tickets starting at $50. My son was scared to do anything after a "I have a job to do" security officer issued us a ticket within 30 minutes of our arrival for something we had no knowledge of. Won't go back. Save your money and go to a resort that cares about their guests having a great vacation, not finding ways to gain more money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!