“tale of 2 resort reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Oceanfront rooms - $59
Ranked #22 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“tale of 2 resort reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

i too just got back from a week at the compass cove. i stayed in the 3 bedroom condo in the mariner section. we checked in around 3 on sunday 8/7 with just about everyone else arriving for the week. logic will tell you if you come at a peak check in time there will be a wait. the clerks were busy but helpful. upon arriving at our room i called the front desk for a cart to get my lugagge and was surprised that they had one up within 10 min. (i read previous reviews about horrible service). there were a few pools closed (but the ocean was only 20 feet away, why go to the ocean and complain about 3 to 4 out of 22 pools closed) and i did not see trash all over the place. the elevators could use air conditioning but the were not dirty. my only complaint was that we ask house keeping not to clean our room on the first day and they took it as if we did not want them all week. they did come every day for clean towels. i did call the front desk several other times and received quick service.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2005

Upon arrival in June 2005, We were in the towers we traveled all day, and wanted to just relax, we have two children, and they were also tired. My Husband had just brought everything up from the car, and wanted to lay on the bed. The beds were so worn out they made alot of noise. That was the beginning of a not so good stay. The towers are being washed and painted on the outside. As soon as my Husband lay down the noise began, they were jack hammering on the building itself we were on the 8th floor, my Husband got up phoned the front desk, it took him several minutes for them to find someone that would even give him a straight answer as to why are they doing this. The manager was rude, and not helpful at all. He said the noise would stop in an hour or so, well we asked for a new room, and was told they had no room to move us into. This was on a Friday around 3:00 P.M. we had reservations for seven nights. The front desk staff were not busy as I have seen in the past. They have always been rude. They do not care if anyone is upset, you see this is Myrtle Beach and they see alot of guests come and go. why would they care about someone not being happy with their stay, when they know someone will fill that space and they will recieve their money anyway. Not only was the building itself being painted they were taking on another project with the pools, they had a very popular pool closed all week and it looked like it had been closed for awhile, this was not mentioned when the reservation was made nor was any construction mentioned. the people they had hired were always moving things around, you didn't know where to walk next. It seemed alot of people we had conversations with would try to find another place on the beach next year. We have been visiting Compass Cove about 3 years before they changed it from Swamp Fox Ocean resort, to Compass Cove. They had an elevater down the whole week we were there, so if you have ever stayed in the towers you know how long of a wait there is, even moving to the other elevators by the lazy river was a long wait and we were there in the second week of June. Ask alot of questions when you call this hotel. I will say the Compass Rose has a great breakfast, but I think they need to be open for lunch as well, We will stay again in this hotal, we figured by the time we look for something else the Compass Cove will be like new again, We really think all the staff down to the maintance, and maids need to sail away forever. and get someone in there that cares about their jobs. so they say you get more flys with honey then with vinegar. as well as guests that want to return year after year if the service is good and the place is not trashed.

• Stayed June 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

We had reserved our week's stay long ago and were so looking forward to it. Within an hour of checking-in, we were looking for another hotel. The front desk staff were very unfriendly and unhelpful. No greetings, no explanation of the hotel's amenities, no map, no explanation about the renovations or some of the pools being closed, nothing - not even "have a good stay". That set the tone. Elevators were extremely slow and had no air/ventilation in them. Took us forever to get to our room due to the elevator service and everyone that got on or off the elevator was complaining about them and the overall service of the hotel. The elevator floors were dirty with trash observed everywhere. Tried to get ice - no ice machine seen. Called front desk and phone rang continuously. Called again and the girl who answered said she didn't know where any ice machines were. Then said to go to the 15th floor (the one I was already staying on) and to "look around". Later told me there were no ice machines on that floor. The room was not clean, the floor was filthy and the balcony was unuseable as it had an open pipe coming out of the ceiling/overhang through which water was coursing - drenching the entire balcony - was apparently air conditioner run-off from somewhere above. Had booked for a week's stay well in advance but were told at check-in we'd have to move at least once during our stay. We went down to the pool area and found it to be very hard to navigate due to the standing water and trash that overflowed everywhere -both inside and out. This is supposed to be a family resort and people were sitting around openly drinking - at the lazy river and in the hot tubs. One hot tub area was littered with standing beer cans. The entire area appeared to have not been cleaned in ages. My child was so disappointed upon seeing the pool area. I have stayed at this hotel in the past but will not ever return to it. We attempted to return to the front desk to check on the situation but were met with complete apathy. I have been going to Myrtle Beach every year since I was a child and have never had such a bad hotel experience. On the way back to our room, enountered a man who was staying on the same floor. He stated they had no hot water and no air conditioning and management had yet to respond and this was the second day of the situation. My husband walked two doors up to the Sandcastle Resort hotel and made us a reservation. All he could talk about was how nice they were, how helpful, how clean everything appeared and that they could could also give us a non-smoking room - something Compass Cove stated they could not do. We proceeded to check out at the front desk and I was shown a statement as to what my account would be credited. We spent the one night at Compass Cove and checked out the next morning. Upon checking out, I was given a statement that did not match the one I had been given the day before. The girl waiting on me was very rude and acted as if I was stupid for questioning the difference when I already had a receipt showing my check-out balance. She made a big show of using the adding machine while looking around at her peers at the front desk. She then spoke very loudly to show my how she arrived at the figure on the new receipt as if I were a yound child. It was just another example of the attitude of the front desk staff. We immediately went to the Sandcastle and couldn't have asked for a better check-in experience or a better stay. I cannot imagine what our week would have been like if we would have had to have stayed at Compass Cove for a whole week. They definitely need to work on projecting a more welcoming tone and attitude and in doing what they can to improve the cleanliness of the place. With summer being the busiest time of their year, I do not know why the renovation work could not have been done in the off-season thus not affecting the egress to the hotel and the amenities.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

Just got back yesterday...August 7, 2005. We stayed in the Schooner Building. The staff was nice and our room had a great view. Compass Cove is located on a nice part of the beach. Compass Cove is in the middle of some renovations, so some of the pools are closed. Our room was o.k., it could use a some updating and it could have been a bit cleaner. Some other place I checked out when I was there were "The Sand Castle South" it looked really nice and the "Landmark". If I ever went back I would stay at one of those places. Overall an o.k. place.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

The web site is very misleading!
We just spent 8 days at the Compass Cove. The maid service was non existant. The front desk staff are rude and not helpful at resolving any issues. On our first day we requested linens for the pullout sofa, 2 extra pillows, and 2 extra blankets. Four days layer we still had not recieved the items we needed. After several attempts to phone the front desk-with NO answer- we walked down to the front desk. After 2 trips to the desk and 3 conversations with 3 employees (one of them being the manager) the maid brought to our room 1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, and 1 blanket. Since it took 4 days to get part of what we had requested we decided to not take another 4 days of our vacation trying to get the rest of what we needed. During the 8 days we were guests our toliet and shower were NEVER cleaned!
The Resort is still renovating and the construction is everywhere. Several of the pools are closed and the restrooms are disgusting. One of the bathrooms had standing water in it that had bugs crawling around the edge.
WARNING - DON"T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE WE MADE! DON"T MAKE COMPASS COVE YOUR VACATION DESTINATION!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We were uprooted by hurricane Ivan and Dennis and unable to reach our original destination, Gulf Shores. I had to book this trip last-minute. Reading other reviews worried me a bit, but if you are staying in the newly renovated parts - NOT TO WORRY! CompassCove has very nice 3-bedroom condos. They are clean. The pools are nice, though a bit murky at times, due to the extreme heat during our stay. Wait for elevators or parking spots is no worse than any other place on the beach.
The only down-side in my opinion involved some rough clientel we saw on the first night: a guy screaming threats to some girl on his cell phone while waiting for the elevator.
CAUTION: all "deals" you find on line are not so great. One guest I encountered was paying several HUNDRED dollars LESS than we did for the same thing!

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

Although my stay was a while back, I had to share my experience and hope someone will give this hotel a chance. My husband and I were married in Myrtle Beach so we had our room for about 5 days. My family came from WV and stayed in the hotel as well. We had a suite they had efficiency rooms. Both sizes were large and comfortable. Our suite was WONDERFUL, very cozy and clean and of course, an incredible view! I am a very picky person when it comes to where I will or won't stay, I read the reviews and research for days before I decide. I love the Compass Cove Hotel and would stay there everytime we visit Myrtle Beach. A lifetime of memories in those few days, glad I chose this hotel to be a part of them.

• Stayed September 2003

Been to Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!