“Last Minute Trip” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia, South Carolina
“Last Minute Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Compass Cove after deciding to go to Myrtle Beach spontaneously. We were told we would get a king oceanview efficiency (side view of the ocean), but upon arrival we were pleased to get an oceanfront room (front view of the ocean). I do want to make a note about the resort's website. When you view the room layout for an efficiency, it shows a separate kitchen in the diagram. The efficiency rooms just have a small kitchenette beside the bed. That was not a problem for us (we only stayed one night), but it could be a potential problem to some, so I would suggest that error be fixed on the website.

Our room wasn't ready upon arrival, but we were given a key to get around the property so we could use the facilities until our room is ready. We walked around the property for a short while. There is plenty of space for guests to spread out with several pools, lounging areas and a large beach area. The pool water was a little murky, but that is to be expected considering that children probably jump from the ocean to the pool without properly cleaning themselves. Many have commented on the overwhelming amount of children at the resort. To us, the resort was so spread out that the amount of children really didn't seem noticeable. Navigating around the resort was somewhat troublesome, though. In our building, the staircases were confusing. Instead of one big stair area that went to every floor, the stair areas were disjointed. To get to the third floor parking lot, for example, you had to go to the second floor and take an outside stair area up to the third floor of parking, instead of just walking over from the third floor. It's a minor issue at best, but still something you have to figure out as a first-time guest. Our room was ready around 2:30, so it was ready before the official check-in time.

Our room was pretty spacious and clean. Some parts of the bathroom could stand a little extra scrubbing, but it was still clean and everything looked very well kept up. Sleeping that night wasn't simple, because the sheet kept popping off the mattress every time we moved. The floor around the air conditioner was wet. It wasn't really a problem; we just stepped over it. We told the woman at the front desk about it when we checked out. Our view of the ocean was beautiful. We were on the fourth floor of the Pinnacle Building, right above the outside seating for a restaurant so our balcony wasn't private. I would highly suggest requesting a high floor. We requested a high floor, but being that it was a last-minute booking, we didn't expect a high floor. Sound wasn't really an issue, though, and that was all that mattered to us. The outside area became quiet at an appropriate time.

The high point for us about the hotel was the price of the hotel (we got a much better deal there for what you get than anywhere else) and there are a lot of discounts available through the hotel that we took advantage of. During the summertime, they also offered free movie rentals. Since we only stayed one night, we didn't take advantage of that. We didn't eat there, but the restaurants seemed good. A complimentary breakfast option would have been nice. I would stay here again; the only thing holding me back from it is the sheet popping off the bed. As silly as that sounds, good sleep is an important factor to us while on vacation. Either way, it was still a good hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CompassCoveResort, Rooms Division Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Elizabeth W ,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to becoming your first choice destination when you visit the Myrtle Beach area. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
Clarkston, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We should have know when we arrived here in July that things would be crazy, though we probably weren't prepared for all we encountered. At Compass Cove with a lot of other families for the Cal Ripken Baseball Tournament, it was traffic everywhere you went and I'm not talking about the roads.

The place was absolutely full of folks and the crazy turns and twists of this place made negotiating things a challenge with a large group. Parking means you have to go across the street most times and the elevator was always jammed. To get to the beach, you had to take a crazy route through the indoor pool area. The other amenities like the lazy river were quite a distance from the room and beach. As for the beach itself, it's beautiful, but the town of Myrtle Beach views it as a cash cow, charging ridiculous prices for the beach chairs and umbrellas. Don't even TRY and sit in one because the beach czars from the city will come yell at you.

We had a suite and it didn't seem nearly room as it should and was very narrow and outdated. The view from the deck was beautiful but we felt mostly claustrophobic in here, which you shouldn't in a suite!

Service was excellent, though you had to walk next door to a tiny lobby to talk to anyone. They were very helpful in telling us how to navigate this huge property and set up special tours and events.

Kids were pretty much running all over the place and I didn't see any security the whole time I was here. Just not the vacation experience I was looking for, for the price. We did enjoy the Tuesday steak and corn on the cob at the bar for $10, but the restaurant otherwise was uninspiring.

Would not do this hotel again, unfortunately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear marcusg123,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to see that your stay with us did not meet your expectations or ours. We do hope that if you return to the Myrtle Beach area that you will Compass Cove a second chance. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Franklin, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Compass Cove with our 16 and 19 yr. old child, along with my brother-in-law, his wife, and their 7 and 11 yr. old. It was important for us to find accommodations that would keep four children of various ages entertained, and we were not let down. The pool and water park areas were always clean and well-maintained. We also enjoyed having the convenience of the free DVDs and took advantage of this several evenings. Access to the beach was convenient as well. This hotel is not in comfortable walking distance to the Grand Strand area, which we found to have its good and bad points. Also we were never able to receive internet connection, which was fine with us since we didn't have any pressing business to attend to. We stayed in a three bedroom unit which was perfect for our group of 8. The exterior hallways and balconies are beginning to reflect the age of the building, but the rooms were nice and very clean, and the grounds are manicured and maintained well. I would recommend Compass Cove unless you are looking for accommodations where you can walk out your door and be in the middle of "the madness". At first I thought I wouldn't like where the hotel was located, but quickly appreciated having a quiet room in the evenings and not having to listen to the noise of the Grand Strand while trying to sleep. My teens didn't seem to mind that we had to drive there. I would recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CompassCoveResort, Rooms Division Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear 1210lovemyfamily,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the south end of Myrtle Beach to you liking as well. We look forward to being your first choice destination when you visit the Myrtle Beach area. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

algonac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Sting Baseball Team had a long drive from MI to arrive at the Compass Cove. The room was beautiful with a view of the ocean and a close walk out to the beach. My kids loved the many choices of pools, especially the water slides! My only concern was that I discovered no washer/dryer included. When I asked the manager what happened, she made every effort to fix the problem. I was upgraded to a two bedroom condo with a washer/dryer the next day. I have three boys who get dirty! One of them was playing baseball at the Ripken Baseball field in a tournament so I really needed to wash uniforms for the team! The boys all had a great time. The team all ate together at the restaurant, we all enjoyed our night gatherings on the patio, the kids had a blast at the beach and pools, and it was very close to the baseball field. We came close to winning with only 10 banged up kids who played harder than they ever did before, but they all will remember this experience the rest of their lives. The boys all had time to hang out, have fun, and become "Sting Brothers"! Believe me, I am the hotel queen because we travel a lot for baseball and family trips. So, my family knows that if momma is not happy, NO ONE IS, and I can HONESTLY say, MOMMA WAS VERY HAPPY. I am so proud of all the kids, this vacation was the best experience, and we would love to come back there again for the 16U tournament and 14U for my other son! I am truly a happy BASEBALL MOM! Thank you everyone at Compass Cove for making our stay so wonderful

Room Tip: Higher floors are a bit harder to take all your stuff back and forth to the beach. The Mariner Buil...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hindyAlgonac,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to upgrade you to a room that better suited your needs. We look forward to hosting your next baseball adventure and many more for years to come. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Lamar, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We live only two hours away, and we have been staying at the compass for seven years now, a couple of times a year normally and the stay is getting worse every year! This year being the worst. First the rooms are not as clean as you would expect, and they stink of B.O.! The pools are extreamly dirty all the time and I dont care what they say about cleaning them on a schedule every morning thats either a lie or someone needs to do a lot better job at it!!! The buildings overall maintainence seems to be going down hill. We really hate to see this, and we will be looking for a different resort come fall. I dont want to leave this review without telling some good. The water amenities are some of the best at the beach, minus them being dirty. Compass Cove has some of the best parking availible its mostly on ocean front, which is nice. And most of the employees are very friendly and helpful. The crows nest "restaurant & bar" had great service and food. It is very nice to get the kids out of the pool grab some oceanside dinner while still in swimwear and not having to spend hours getting to a resturaunt everyday! PS did notice no hair nets in the kitchen and kitchen staff out walking around then going right back to cooking while we were finishing dinner "not too sanitary"

Room Tip: Stay away from the schooner its only about four stories tall "no ocean view" you will be l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CompassCoveResort, Rooms Division Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear davidc2014,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to see that you stay did not meet your expectations nor ours. Please contact me directly at 843-444-3929 or joe.gibbons@compasscove.com as I would like to opportunity to speak with you about your stay. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Pantego, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed in the Schooner building. Room was very nice and clean...great view of the ocean! Housekeeping was very efficient. There were lots of pools and always plenty of clean towels for pool use. Check-in was LONG...be aware of that. There was someone providing bottled water and bubbles for the kids which was nice.
My main issue is the pools and pool area. We stayed oceanfront on the second floor and each morning by 8 am there were lots of kids and teens running out and "reserving" their lounge chairs for the day and then not using them until later in the afternoon. There are signs all over the pool areas that state that reserving chairs is prohibited but this did not deter guests. My mother often was not able to even have a chair by the pool we were using because there were at least 10 or more chairs that were "reserved" but not being used.
In the lazy rivers there were always multiple children jumping in the lazy river, splashing us, swimming, racing, and stacking multiple tubes up to run and jump in. More crazy river than lazy river! Once I saw a pool attendant ask them to use a tube but never checked back to see if the kids adhered to the request!
My last issue was the amount of smoking by guests. On numerous days we were sitting by guests chain smoking at the pool blowing smoke on my 5 year old and my mother who is undergoing chemo! Not acceptable...I have not stayed at a resort that allows smoking around all of the pools!

Dear jennt4747,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to see the many issue you encountered during your stay. We do hope that you will give Compass Cove a second chance if you return to the Myrtle Beach area.
Canton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

First time studying here, but we would definitely come back!!! Everything you need is right here. Pools, lazy rivers, hot tubs, water slides and the beach were all amazing. We had a 3 bd rm condo on the top floor and the view was spectacular. Every morning I would get up and watch the sunrise. Loved having a washer n dryer in the room it made it so convienent with the kids. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CompassCoveResort, Rooms Division Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Angela H,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your 3 bedroom condo met your needs. We look forward to being your first choice destination when you visit the Myrtle Beach area. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort

Been to Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!