“New Years Eve” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Roanoke VA
“New Years Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband and I took a New Years Eve trip to Myrtle Beach and stayed at the Compass Cove.This was our first time staying there and I thought it was really nice. I am not one to go to Myrtle Beach in the summer time, because I don't like crowds, but I could see where Compass Cove would be a great place for families, because the amenities are awesome!! The amenities were great considering that it was December...so I can only imagine that it would be really nice when everything is in full swing during the summer!! We stayed in the Pinnacle building, which I highly recommend. It is a really good location. We had the breakfast buffet included in our package, and it was very good!! We never ate at the Crows Nest, but we did go by on New Years for Karaoke, and it was very crowded, so we didn't stay to long, but it was fun. The staff overall was very nice and accommodating. Check in and check out was also smooth. If we decide on another trip during the off season, to Myrtle Beach, we would surely come back to Compass Cove!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south end of the Pinnacle building, have better elevator service!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
bladenboro nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Great location, great indoor & heated outside pools, hot tubs & saunas...This place has something for all ages. They have 3 different bldgs and no matter which bldg you're in, you will have close & easy access to pool options. I was in the pinnacle bldg, room# 768. I arrived on 12/31/11 & left 1/2/12. This room had great ocean front view. There is nothing that I can say negative about this hotel..I will definitely be back.. We also had a great deal on the price..

Room Tip: pinnacle bldg #768 - great ocean front view. close access to elevator that will take you straight d...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

They must of needed clean filters for the room, had one of those funny smells to it. It was in the older portion. Pretty old bldg, but allowed us to have our dog with us, which is allowed in the winter months. Paid around $100 which include the pet fee. Would prob look elsewhere or definitely would check the room prior to renting. If we had spent more than one night we would have demanded a different room. No internet was available either.

Room Tip: We were place directly in front of a pool, which made it hard to see the ocean, because of all the p...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My 2nd stay at this resort and this time I bumped up to the three bedroom OF. My last stay was 2 BR OF. It was worth the money once I moved to a condo on a higher floor. I arrived late at night from a long trip with kids in tow to be placed on the 6th or 7th floor. I did not check out my OF view until early the next morning when I drew the blinds to catch the sunrise on the ocean. Imagine my surprise to see the roof of the smaller hotel building with beer bottles and other debris. Since this is the beach that also meant sea gulls. Contacted the front desk and was told that it was considered oF althoguh more than 2/3 of my view was obstructed. I was moved to the 14th floor within 2 hours and the hotel sent someone to move my things after we repacked. Would not comp breakfast or lunch but sent a fruit basket.

I was mostly disappointed with the lack of business center at this grand three building 21 water attraction resort. When I needed to print important confidential documents for my job the hotel did not have printers, fax or Office 2010 access for guest. The computers had Office 2010 but only the managers had access and the one on duty was unwilling to accommodate me or my deadline. That meant packing me and the kids up from the beach and various pools to find a Staples or Office Depot to meet my government deadlines. I just expected more from a hotel in MB where tourism is all year and hosting is the name of their game. I know I was suppose to be on vacation but if you can provide gamerooms, exerciserooms, etc... you need to provide somemething for the business person.

Room Tip: 3BR OF Conddo is the way to go.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sarah C, Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Tammy,

I would first like to thank you for staying at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort and for taking a moment to write a review about your experience. Your feedback is extremely important to us! I apologize that you were not satisfied with the view from your room upon arrival, but I am glad to hear that we could move you to a higher floor to improve your experience. I would also like to apologize for our lack of a business center. This is a suggestion that we have taken very seriously. I am happy to tell you that we are currently undergoing renovations to add a business center on the second floor of our Schooner building (next to our conference room and arcade). This business center will house three computers and a printer to provide our vacationing guests with computer access for work related tasks and for printing coupons, airlines tickets, etc. I wish the business center had been completed in time for your stay so that you did not have to experience the inconvenience of leaving the resort. I do hope that in the future you find it helpful. I hope that you and your family enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful holiday season. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind regards,

Sarah Beth Cornell
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I arrived at this hotel and thought it looked ok for the amount of money it cost. When I arrived they messed up on my room because I had asked for a king bed with full kitchen when they sent me to my room I saw a TINY kitchen that didn't even have a full fridge. So then they tried giving me a room with two double beds. Finally on the third try they got it right and I recieved the room I had requested with a full kitchen and king bed. As soon as I got there I went to use the washroom and noticed two gross black small curly hairs in the bath tub. This right away grossed me out but I said well I guess you get what you pay for. After going for a nice long walk along the beach my husband and I return to the room and order our dinner while we were waiting for it to arrive he went to set the table. The first plate he grabed from the cupboard was dirty and had a nasty film on it. As he's setting the table with our dirty dishes I said I was going to lay down. I pulled down the sheets on the bed and noticed small curly black hairs all over the bed. When we requested new bedding they only brought new sheets not a new comfortater. The housekeeping lady put rthe new sheets on the bed and then put the old comfortater back on the bed! At this point I was SOOO disgusted I left immediately!!! It's too bad this hotel was dirty because they had a very nice resort. It also ruined the first day of my vacation because I was not stuck finding a new hotel that was CLEAN.

Room Tip: Check how clean your whole room is before you pay!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We visit Myrtle Beach twice a year. This was our first time staying at Compass Cove. Loved the variety of pools and hottubs. Stayed in efficiency-type room - perfect for two people for a short stay. Staff were friendly and accommodations were well maintained.

Wyoming, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My husband and I wanted to take a quick weekend trip to Myrtle and decided to try Compass cove and loved it! We had an oceanfront room in the Scooner building and the room was fabulous! Everyone we ran into was great and our housekeeper always had a smile! We plan to return in the near future while the rates are still low and the beach is empty!

Room Tip: Although you might have a room on the first floor its still great walking right from your balcony to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!