“GREAT Hotel - Will Return!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #27 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Midlothian
“GREAT Hotel - Will Return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

This hotel is perfect if you are looking for all of the activities that Myrtle Beach has to offer without having to stay in the crowded strip area.

The hotel sits to itself on a private beach but all amenities are just a very short drive away. The parking is on-site in a garage and complimentary if you park yourself.

Upon arrival, I was greeted with a complimentary non-alcoholic frozen drink and felt welcome right away.

Unfortunately, I only had a resort view room. Beware! If you're looking for a great view of the ocean with a balcony, the only way to go at this hotel is to request an "ocean front" room. Since I had been booked as part of a conference, I didn't have much choice in the matter, and my room faced a large building under construction. It was very disappointing being at the beach without any type of view whatsoever.

Even the "ocean view" rooms though only have a sliding glass door with a railing and no balcony - you can stick your neck out but that's about it. I found that set up quite strange for a beachfront hotel, so make sure you get ocean front if a balcony is important to you.

The beds were quite possibly the MOST COMFORTABLE of any bed I have ever slept on. I stay in a lot of hotels and also consider my own bed quite luxurious, but nothing compared to these beds. Fantastic!

The room was of average decor - everything was neat and clean.

The bar offers outside seating on a balcony overlooking the ocean. Stunning views, but limited seating. The entire staff was very nice but the waitresses in the bar left a bit to be desired. Not "bad", but not overly friendly either. I would rank the bar service mediocre, but the rest of the hotel had superb service.

The menu is quite limited and both restaurants have the exact same menu. The food was good - not great.

The service by the pool is quite nice. You simply raise the flag on your chair and a server immediately comes to take your poolside drink order. I spent $17 on 2 very weak margaritas, but I suppose you expect that for poolside service.

The only thing I found incredibly odd is that there is a lot of shrubbery and growth between the pool area and the beach which completely blocks the view. I would prefer to look at the beach while laying by the pool but you can't see it.

One more downside was that the hotel seems to be used a lot for weddings and receptions. No problem there except that they closed down part of the pool area as well as the main veranda to do so. Given that this is not a huge hotel with lots of space, it was inconvenient to have so much of the outside space roped off.

All in all, I would rank this an excellent stay and will return back in a few months (with that Ocean FRONT room :)

• Liked — The pools were beautiful and the beds were the most confortable EVER
  • Disliked — the so called "view" of the room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

We were in the Mariott for a conference for my husband's work. We had a great time! The pools are so nice and the staff was great - as soon as you put up the flag for poolside service - a waitress was immediately there. The beach is right there too which was really nice, though I suggest walking down a ways to get away from the other hotel guests :) They do have a water slide on thier property which the kids really loved!! The room was an average hotel room. Though the bed was amazing! Oh how amazing the bed was! We felt as if we were sleeping on a cloud! The staff was great!

Stayed June 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

Stayed in the presidential suite May 20-23. Beds comfy and no noise from other rooms. All in all a nice stay. Outdoor pool beautiful.
Problems: For over $700 a night you should have but didn't:
Jacuzzi tub
Balcony you can actually use. Not large enought to even stand on. It would have been nice to have breakfast and coffee out there. Weather was beautiful.

A table to eat at. No dining table but space for one.

Only ocean view from one bedroom and bath.

Room service food often cold.

Stayed May 2007
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

Offering excellent amenities set off the beaten path of the overpopulated beaches. This hotel states they have two restaurants but both have identical menus. If you want any thing different you will have to drive a bit to get to the more populated venues. They also say ocean view rooms...they are off the side of the hotel and you may need to stretch your neck a bit to really see the ocean. To truly get ocean view you need to request an ocean FRONT room. Also the balconies on the ocean view side are literally 5 inches deep. (see picture below) A sliding glass door opens directly next to a railing. Could be worriesome if you have small children. The pool that they don't advertise enough is utterly amazing with wait staff to serve you at your deck chair!!!! (see picture) Great for young families. The veranda just above offers spectacular views with comfortable adiondack chairs to lounge in. (see picture) Could sit there all day! But get them while thier open..because there aren't many of them! Definately would stay again..but book an ocean front room and have transportation for a varied menu.

• Liked — Ocean view...Privacy
  • Disliked — Ocean view room is off the side of hotel..can't see the ocean well. Desparately need a varied menu of restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Castle Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

We have celebrated our wedding anniversary, July 4 at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes, Myrtle Beach for the past three years and enjoyed our visits. This year we decided to celebrate my birthday, in May, at the Resort. We enjoyed the visit at this time of year. The ocean was cold, and the pool was a little cool, although I found the cool water very refreshing. As usual Beth was terrific setting up our dinner reservation and giving us directions. She is truly a gem, and very knowledgable regarding any restaurant you choose, or any restaurant that she suggested. Steve was also a great help. We like the comfortable bed and very friendly, helpful staff. Always a wonderful place to visit.

Stayed May 2007
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

After being disappointed with several hotels at Myrtle Beach I was determined to find the right one. And I can proudly say that I have. The Marriott Resort at Grand Dunes was far beyond my expectations. If I could describe it using only one word it would be “luxurious”.

Upon my arrival to the hotel the first thing that was apparent was the location. Far from the multitude of tourist shops, crammed hotels and noise pollution…you’re surrounded by beautifully arranged flower beds, tall majestic trees and an overwhelming sense of serenity.

When we checked in Ben was obliged to make sure our stay would be pleasurable. He was courteous and personable. I’ve noticed through out my entire stay the hotel staff was cordial and more than ready to lend a hand.

Once I entered into my hotel suite I was pleased with the décor and layout; an ocean front suite on a high floor w/ a king size bed. The view was breath taking. Even the view from my bathroom was gorgeous. When I stepped out onto my personal balcony all I could do was take it all in. There in front of me was this immeasurable ocean, limitless to the eye and the constant wave of the wind being swept straight into my hotel suite. During my stay I left the sliding glass door open to my balcony, and I would just fall asleep to the wind blowing into my suite…and the sound of the ocean. The bed was so comfortable, I usually have back pain when I wake up but this bed was just heavenly. I felt so refreshed and well rested.

But there is more to this hotel than just remarkable rooms. There are countless pools to enjoy during your stay here. All are stunning, huge and crystal clear. You have more than enough chairs and locations to choose from to relax and bath in the sun. They even have hammocks for you to lounge on. And if you forget to bring your own beach chair and umbrella….don’t worry they have that too. If you get a bit parched while you’re out soaking in the sun the ever present café staff is close at hand to serve you.

What ever you want this hotels got it. It can’t be compared to any other hotel in Myrtle Beach; it is in a league of its’ own. If you want to be treated like royalty then look no further. This is where you want to be.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tualatin,OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

I was absolutely shocked that this Hotel got a 4 star rating from AAA. Our room was small and the furnishings were cheap and substandard. When I complained , they said we had the best rooms in the hotel. We went to our friends room who came in later than us.....and I had booked and theirs was much larger and nicer than ours but still had the same furnishings. It is at most a 3 star establishment. There are nice amenities outside but the actual hotel and rooms were definetly tacky and cheap looking. I complained when we were there to AAA and plan on talking to someone in the National office about this rating. The rest of our vacation in Kiawa Island, Savanahh, and Atlanta were fabulous.....this was the only disappointment.

• Liked — The mattress was extremely comfortable
  • Disliked — Down comforters and cheap furnishings
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!