“Top of the line” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Top of the line”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

The Marriott at Grand Dunes is the best hotel I ever stayed at, very family friendly and clean, with a private beach. The staff is extremely kind, we were greated with smoothies when we got there, they have turn down service and leave chocolates on the bed, the list is just endless of how wonderful this hotel is. At 280.00 a night, it is worth every penny, in a town like Myrtle Beach you need to be careful because there are alot of hotels that look great in the brochures but when you see them in person, they are very shanty. There are alot of things to do in Myrtle Beach, Broadway is a wonderful place for families to visit, medeival times show, etc. Places to stay away from trex track racing (the indoor go cart racing on 17), costs $5.00 for 4 minutes and we bought 10 tickets with nobody on line, once my kids started someone else came in with tickets and my kids had to get off to let the other people go, and they went back and forth (its not first come, first serve basis), my kids didn't like it at all, also half the games in there took your money, but did not work. There were alot of great places to eat, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe and wonderful restaurants in the hotel. The only place we didn't like the food at was Rossi's, there was a 1 hour wait and the sauce tasted like lean cuisine, it was not real Italian food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

As a single man in his mid 30s, I was in town 3 days for golf, relaxation, dining and entertainment. I chose the resort because of membership in Marriott Rewards program, location/amenities and consistently positive experiences at all Marriott properties.

Since little of my time is spent in the room besides sleeping and showering, I do not require many bells and whistles. Room appointments were as expected for the hotel's luxury rating (granite bathroom counters, room service, high end bedding). The bright yellow, lime green and red color schemes were personally appalling, but I certainly slept comfortably in the bed. The only hiccup - it gets under my skin that hotels still charge $9.95 per day for in-room internet access because the internet is crucial to my daily life, even more so than the free local phone service. I voiced my complaint to the front desk and the charges were immediately removed from my bill without question.

The resort benefits greatly from only being a few years old, so the hotel infrastructure, inside and out, looks shiny new. NOTE - the resort off the beaten path and requires guests to drive or catch a cab to all golfing/entertainment/dining destinations. If you don't like seclusion & privacy or are used to hotspots located within a 5-10 minute walk, rethink your accommodations. Otherwise, the pools, private beach, sunrise views, etc. are spectacular of course. The inland view is an unobstructed look at a thick canopy of green oak trees during the summer months.

My biggest rave would be the Hibiscus Spa. I would recommend calling ahead, perhaps more than a week in advance of your stay, to assure ample flexibility in reserving the day, time and services requested. I opted for the mud wrap/Vischay shower and Hibiscus massage. Arrive a few minutes early to slip into a luxurious robe in the locker room and then lounge in either of the relaxation rooms to nibble on fresh fruit. The mud wrap attendant arrived in a few minutes and I forgot about the outside world for 2 hours after the massage was finished. FYI - I always tip 20-25% for these services, but the Spa adds an 18% gratuity to the services when you sign out.

I ate only one meal at the resort in the bar area, which serves the same food as the restaurant. The sea bass was deliciously, flakey white and the service was outgoing & very attentive.

The self parking garage had ample parking and surprisingly wide spaces. The garage is a 3 minute walk from the main elevators through the main convention meeting space. I never use valet if possible because I hate to wait, have theft concerns and a little extra walking feels great. Those who cannot live without the valet will be delighted because the main entrance was always free of vehicles, inferring the valets were fast and efficient.

It would be easy to rave on and on about every aspect of my stay because it was simply marvelous. Happy Travels!!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

I just returned home yesterday after staying five nights at the Marriott at Grande Dunes (June 25 to June 30). I have to say that I really enjoyed it. When we arrived check in went really smoothly, we were given an oceanview room on the 15th floor. Although the oceanview rooms have no balcony, that didn't bother us much. We had an excellent view of the Myrtle Beach coast. There is some construction going on next door for the Marriott condos they are building but we were not on that side of the building. Even during the day when we were outside near the pool there was very little noise if any from the work going on. The rooms are nicely furnished, we had a room with two double beds which were comfortable and the maid service is excellent. Although the pool is beautiful (two pools with a seperate slide area for the kids) we spent most of our time at the beach. You can rent chairs and an umbrella from the lifeguard but we bought a couple of beach chairs from a nearby store. The beach itself is very clean and quiet, not crowded at all which was nice. You were able to relax and enjoy the ocean without having to be on top of people. Another nice thing was the mini fridge in the room. The first day we went out and bought some supplies for breakfast (cereal, milk) and snacks for the beach like fruits and juices. The resort is close to restaurant row, Broadway on the Beach and the outlets (at the most 10 minutes away with not much traffic to deal with).

All in all it was a terrific time and relaxing, exactly what you would want on vacation.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

stayed one night on way back from charleston. wish we had spent 2 nights though they let us check out at 1 pm so we enjoyed a morning swim and lunch by the pol before leaviing

bed was most comfortable i have ever slept in . had a memory foam pillow top i think and down comforter and pillows. very clean room motel; is fairly new

ate lunch by pool excellent service had the grilled chicken sandwich awesome.

water slide is small but very fun with plenty of water flow to keep you moving.

only gripe is you can't see ocean from pool deck due to plants.

timeshares next door had nice pool also with better hot tub.

Western Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

We used Marriott Points and free certificates for our stay, because it was free I have very little negative to say about it.

Nice pool area, I think younger kids would like more in the way of activity pools (i.e. sprays, fountains, mini slides) etc. than this particular resort had. But the pools were wonderful and beautifully maintained. They did have one slide for your information. Towels were very accessible by dropping off a towel key and picking up two large fluffy towels for the beach.

Lots of the lay workers did speak very little English, which I thought was a little odd especially the workers that had to deal with the public alot. The towel girl for instance asked me to tell her the pronunciation of "dive" from her English/Spanish dictionary.

The room was nice and had a very good view of the grand strand beaches from the 12th floor. As mentioned in other reviews the rooms were not particularly roomy, I would expect around 400 sq ft for a resort room with two queens, these rooms were probably at best 330 square feet. It would help if you had a balcony room as it would make it seem more spacious. There are NOT alot of balcony rooms to be had at this resort though (less than 20% of the rooms I would guess).

I would highly recommend this resort to get away from the hectic activity closer to the Pavilion area of Myrtle Beach.

Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott in early June 2006 and did not have one single complaint. The room was larger than average with a great view of the ocean. (I didn't even ask for an ocean view) The staff was very courteous and efficient, from the housekeeping crew to the manager, they were all great. The hotel location is spectacular - right on the ocean in a more quiet area of Myrtle Beach. The pool area includes a water slide for the kids, hammocks, plenty of lounge chairs, and a great poolside cafe and snack bar. There is also an indoor pool in case of bad weather.

We drove around alot during our stay and this was by far the nicest hotel in Myrtle Beach. WOW!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

I decided to stay at the Marriott Grand Dunes Hotel from February 17-18, 2006 because I was participating in the Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon. I could not have been more pleased with the hotel accommodations. I knew I was in for a special treat when I drove up to the hotel entrance and entered one of the most beautiful hotel lobbies that I had ever seen (I do a lot of traveling and I have stayed at a lot of hotels). The staff was pleasant and professional, and the rooms were large, very nicely furnished and extremely clean. The hotel sits right on the water so be sure to ask for a room with a view of the water. Even if you do not get a room with a water view, the layout of the hotel offers absolutely wonderful water views from the lobby level without you ever having to set foot on the beach. After the half-marathon, many race participants treated themselves to the hotel spa where their aches and pains were massaged away. You definitely will not be disappointed by the Marriott Grand Dunes Hotel. (In case you are wondering why my entry is dated several months after my hotel stay, it is because while writing a review for one of my recent hotel stays, I realized that I was negligent in not writing a review for the Marriott Grand Dunes and several other hotels I stayed at in the last few months.)

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!