“Great Ocean Views” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Ocean Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed on the 15th floor facing ocean. Awesome view overlooking pools below! Staff was awesome, restaurant was very good, especially the breakfast. Hotel parking is a short walk. Easy walk to the beach. Room was clean and with all the amenities you would want. Perfect place for a short stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear PeteB01,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and all of the resort's amenities. We appreciate the feedback. Hopefully you can stay longer on your next trip!

673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Hartsville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wonderful staff...secluded location w great beach. All services very good...ask for an ocean view. Thanksgiving brunch is the best in the area. Starbucks in the gift shop...hotel restaurant is very good as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the resort. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy everything that we have to offer. We hope to have you back again this year for Thanksgiving brunch. We have another great menu in store!
Lancaster, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for three nights in October and had a wonderful stay. Our room was handicap accessible and there was plenty of room for my husband to get around in his wheelchair. We had a side view room on the sixth floor and the view was great!! There were a couple of events going on right below us on the terrace and we could hear everything so if this is a concern to you I would ask for a room on a higher floor. The grounds are beautiful with plenty of hammocks and lounging chairs to laze away the day. Beach access is great with a handicap ramp if you have trouble with stairs. We ordered room service one night and the service was excellent. The only problem we had was that my husband left his swiss army knife in the safe. We called the evening that we left to see if it had been turned in but the staff was not able to help us and referred us to the shipping and receiving department which is lost and found. They were not in at that time so I had to call back the next day...still had to leave a message. I got a call back the following day saying that they did not find it. We know that is where it was left so I guess the staff kept the knife. It wasn't very valuable monitarily, but it did have a lot of sentimental value to my husband since it was a gift from our son. So be sure to check the safe when you leave because you will not get it back if you leave it there!!!

Dear Sarah J,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding your sleeping room and the pool and beach area. We are sorry about your missing swiss army knife. We did go through our standard channels to locate the knife and did have management search the room, but unfortunately it was not located. We do have all of your contact information, so if we are able to relocate it, we will most certainly get in touch with you. We hope to have you back for future vacations.
nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed two nights in October. Beautiful property. The pools were absolutely beautiful and impressive to look at from our 12th floor Ocean View room. Happened to luck out and have one absolutely gorgeous October day, and it was nice and not crowded on the beach and at the pools. Sat poolside for cocktails, enjoyed the hot tub, water slide and pools. The outside is impressive, but the inside, especially the rooms, are showing wear and could use some TLC. It was still an enjoyable stay. We had been promised an upgrade, which was unavailable when we checked in. We were then promised breakfast in exchange by front desk check-in and told to come back in the morning. Of course, that person wasn't there the following morning, and we were brushed off. I do see a bit of a history of this type of stuff in other reviews of this hotel. Despite a couple of false fire alarms on Saturday morning, which was a bit of a pain, it was still a nice stay and we will return. It would be better business practice not to promise things that cannot be delivered, however.

Room Tip: If possible, do oceanfront. Ocean view are okay, but you need the ones at the end of the hotel towar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear becinnc,

We are glad to hear that you thought the property was beautiful. It is great that you were able to relax at the pool and enjoy a cocktail. We are always looking for ways to improve and we appreciate your feedback regarding the sleeping rooms and promises by the front desk. I am sorry you had to go through this and completely understand how this negatively impacted your stay. Thank you for making us aware of this and in the future we will be sure there is better communication. Next time you make your way to Myrtle Beach, please contact the resort directly and we will make sure we get everything taken care of prior to your arrival. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel/resort for a business trip. It was a 5 day trip so I got to know the property pretty well. Of course being that I was there for work, I never got to enjoy the pool or the close proximity to the beach...Which is probably why most people stay here. Not me. Not this time.
The resort is located more in North Myrtle Beach so it's quite (and nicely) removed from the uber touristy parts of Myrtle Beach. It's tucked away as most of the hotels in this part of MB are.
As you drive up and walk in the lobby, it feels well maintained, nice and inviting as well. A nice welcome after traveling all day from Los Angeles. The common areas including the bar felt newish and not worn out. I don't know when this property was built but when you get to the rooms, you might be able to tell. But before I get into the cons, I'll speak to the good things first.
The service for the most part was very friendly and nice. You do feel like they care about their jobs and ready to help you.
As far as the food in the bar goes, I thought it was actually really good. And I say that with more enthusiasm because I've stayed at many many hotels and resorts and sometimes the food you get sitting at the bar isn't very good or creative. This was the complete opposite. I know it came from their adjoining restaurant which I guess says, that the restaurant is good too.
The breakfast buffet was the typical Marriott buffet that you get at any of their properties. BUT if you order off the menu, it's actually quite better. Here is the thing that I found was a little bizarre. When I was there they only had the buffet on Monday and Saturday. I know they weren't full during the week, but still seemed a little odd. Unless I missed it, it should be stated somewhere when the buffet is in progress and when it's not. Not the end of the world but for someone there for business, I prefer a buffet. BUT I will say that the food did come out pretty quickly when ordering from the menu.
Now onto the rooms. My room was nice and spacious. I ended up with a corner room with a nice ocean view so I was pleased. For those of you who care, there was a fridge in my room. Nice to have. So here is where the kind of disappointment comes in. I felt the rooms decor (as well as the hallway) felt a little dated and felt more like decor in a Courtyard Marriott. It was still clean but a total contrast from the lobby and the rest of the property. Nothing very lux about the room I must say. My other sort of negative had to come when calling down to the front desk. Without fail, every time I called down for my car whether it be the morning or evening, the phone rang an average of 15 times before anyone picked up. That is not a good response time especially if it was an emergency of sorts. I would say that this part was the most annoying to me.
Would I stay here again, when in MB? For sure. But next time I hope to enjoy the beach and pool. It looked very nice.

Dear TVtravelLA,

We are glad you got to stay with us for your business trip. Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the staff and the food. We are sorry that the buffet was not available the entire time you were here, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast off of the menu. We appreciate the feedback regarding the sleeping room decor. Thank you for telling us about the long response time when calling down to the front desk. We completely understand your frustration and we are sorry for how this negatively impacted your stay. We are always looking for ways to get better and we thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We look forward to having you back for a vacation, so you can take advantage of all the other amenities the resort has to offer.
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

First, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is clean, well maintained...simply beautiful in the pool area. The location of the resort is fantastic - located in the Northern section of Myrtle Beach, you are close to everything but not always in the middle of everything...know what I mean?
If you are looking for a high-class resort, this is it. However, you pay for it. This place is not for the bargain hunter. A simple bagel in the morning will run you $5! A couple could easily spend close to $40 on breakfast. Needless to say, we went OUT for breakfast. If you do want to eat there, the cafe/bar poolside is an ok deal. You can get a club sandwich for about $12, and it is actually very good.
The rooms were nice, comfortable and sized well...we never felt cramped. The amenities in the bathroom were top notch.
The resort complex itself is truly a work of art.
If you are planning a conference for business, the facilities provide all you could want...but once again, you get what you pay for. We had a $10 meal served that cost $35/head...not a good deal, but they have you where they want you... ;-}
We left feeling like we had stayed at a very nice resort - which I'm sure is what they are looking for.

Room Tip: They are short on KING beds, so call and plan early. Any beach view is nice. The balcony rooms are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear warvidc,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for giving such a great description of the resort's location along with describing the hotel's amenities. Saying that the resort complex is "a work of art" put a smile on our face. We are sorry to hear that you felt the prices were high for certain meals, but we are glad that you had a wonderful experience while staying with us and we would love to have you back again soon.
verona, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott at Grande Dunes over Labor Day. It was first class. Our children loved the pools and the slide. We were content to stay on the property for a couple of days, enjoying the amenities. It's nice, too, because it is a bit north of the crowded center of Myrtle Beach. The only down side to the hotel is that the rooms are pretty small. Not much room to move around, and definitely not ideal for a family of 5. Service was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear kidlkcf,

Thank you for sharing your review of the hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the size of the sleeping room you were in, but glad to hear that you and your children enjoyed your stay and got to take advantage of the resort's amenities. Next time, we would love to have you stay in one of our suites, so you have more room. Thanks again for the review.

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!