“Wish I could have stayed longer!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #41 of 215 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wish I could have stayed longer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was a quick two-day trip with my 12yr.old grandson. This place did not disappoint from the minute we drove up til the time we left! Beautiful, beautiful resort and professional, personable, accommodating staff. Room was typical size for Marriott's but lovely decorated. The service at the pool side café was a little slow the first day, but they were having a very busy lunch period, but food was good. Two outdoor pools, a small pool at the giant slide and an indoor pool. My grandson quickly found some friends to play in the pool and slide, while I laid in a lounge chair, read and soaked up some sun! The pool chairs have a flag you can move up if you'd like service; once you've paid for a glass of iced tea, the rest is free (however, the cups are small and the ice melts fast on a hot day! You can take your own chairs to the beach or rent them, including an umbrella. The gift shop has bagels and light "to go" items for breakfast. Valet parking is a little expensive, but I splurged on this and glad I did. This is a great location, away from all the hustle & bustle of the very touristy area, but still close to restaurants, drug stores, etc. Hope to plan another trip here in the fall with hubby!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Bess A,

Thank you for sharing your glowing review of the resort. We are so happy to hear that you and your grandson enjoyed your time here with us. It is great that he was able to make some buddies at the pool! We strive, every day, to maintain Marriott's excellent standards, and it is great to know that you think we are doing a good job. Thank you very much for posting your review and we hope you tell your friends and family about us.

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hard to believe this higher end resort is in Myrtle Beach. The pool is super big, with poolside food and bar service. Two restaurants. Prices not bad, food was good too. Waterslide is nice feature for the kids. Rooms are outdated but ours was clean. Only complaint was the time share sales on a vacation. Would rather not deal with sales pitches. Our kids also enjoyed the game room with Wii and Xbox games to play. Fast elevators. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: limited rooms with balconies (if you prefer one). 15 stories tall.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear moma1031,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the resort. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the pool area and kids game room. Thank you for your feedback regarding the sleeping room and the OceanWatch Villas Desk. This information helps us continue to improve and ensure we provide each and every guest excellence service in the future. We appreciate you sharing your experience and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Poolesville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

There are so many great things about this hotel. First of all it's location! Out of the crazy downtown area, in a private community, right on the beach. The hotel location is so close to the best restaurants and the main attractions in the area. It's easy to get around. The grounds are beautiful, the pools are beautiful and spacious, with shallow areas for young kids and families. The slide is fun for all ages. If you are into just hanging at the pool, definitely go early as the chairs fill up fast. We prefer the beach but go back and forth throughout the day. The beach is spacious and close, but bring your own chairs as the rentable chairs on the beach are so close together and they put them away early.

The rooms are small, but comfortable. I do agree that they are in need of some thorough cleaning, which is probably hard in the peak months. Definitely in need of a bigger refrigerator and a microwave. With the beach resort and families with kids spending extended time here,it's a must.

The food was all delicious. From the restaurant to The Bar and The Cove. We tried all, but most enjoyed eating outside by the pool. I didn't find it overly expensive, you are staying at a resort on the beach. There is Starbucks coffee in the store, but a full service Starbucks would be a great addition. There is a Starbucks next door in the villas that does offer some specialty drinks.

Towel cards need to go. I have done this at other marriotts and I know it's in interest of the hotel, but I was disappointed to see this implemented here this year. It's simply a pain in the neck. If you are truly going to run this system the towel desk needs to be maintained all day and all evening. Fitness room is busy every morning, you need more weights. Nothing under 10lbs, no 12 lbs and only one set of the most used (10lb ). Weights are cheap, buy some.

I was hoping to go through the villas this trip and the staff working the vacation club desk were super friendly and helpful with questions, but upon arrival to view them, Harry, at the sales desk in the villas was grumpy, extraordinarily rude and insensitive. Would never buy anything from him ever!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, I can't say enough GREAT things about the staff of this hotel. The events coordinator that helped me find a local ENT, the wonderful chef that's still doing Kids in the Kitchen (his positive attitude made the kids and parents feel so welcome), the super hard working staff outside at The Cove always quickly accommodating everyone as best as possible and the concierges for booking dinner reservations for us. It was also nice to see some of the same staff as last year. Looking forward to next year already!

Room Tip: Higher levels have better views. It's also easier to get an elevator, they fill quickly.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear kterragno,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort's location and the amenities the resort has to offer. Thank you for your feedback regarding the sleeping rooms, towel cards, and fitness center. We apologize if any of these issues interfered with your stay. We are continually striving to enhance improve our property, so that each and every guest has a wonderful experience. Your feedback will help us to continue to strive to do better. And thank you for mentioning the great service you received by our staff. We love hearing when our staff is doing a great job. We hope to have you and your family back again next year.
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I cant say enough good things about The Marriott Grande Dunes at Myrtle Beach. First impression was, "wow, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous" (and ive stayed at many 5star hotels). From the time we drove up to drop our luggage, to check in, every single hotel employee we encountered over our weeks stay, were beyond friendly, hospitable, personable...everyone seemed to go above and beyond for that little extra that makes such a difference. We only ate at the Ocean Blu, the poolside eating area. Food was excellent, tropical drinks were aMAZING, delicious specials, kids food served in sand pails w a little shovel as a souvenir, very classy and detail oriented (as was the overall experience). Parking is easy and never too crowded. Valet is $18 per day (we did NOT use, too pricy and parking garage is not far.to walk) Pool areas were gorgeous, kids slide kept the kids occupied. Lots of families w kids there. There's even a game room for kids to play video games. Cant say enough good things about this hotel. If I had to say a negative, the rooms were a bit small, n bathrooms a bit small but we spent the least amount of time there so none of us complained. DEF wont be disappointed. One more thing...the LOCATION is PERFECT...its a little on the North side of Myrtle Beach, away from the hustle and bustle but a 2 minute drive for stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite if available. Rooms are gorgeous but a little small. We loved our room but if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear tamarajoy9,

Thank for your glowing review of the resort. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here and were able to take advantage of all the resort had to offer. It is wonderful to hear that we are living up the Marriott Standard and that you treated great by the staff. We hope to have you and your family back again soon!
Pegram, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Are you a Platinum member? Are you thinking about cashing in some of those hard earned points for a much needed vacation at this hotel? If you answered yes, there are some things you may want to be aware of. This is a Marriott Resort, therefore, your "platinum" perks consist of one $10 voucher that can be used on the property or bonus reward points - your choice. Upon check-in, I inquired about the normal Platinum benefits; room upgrade and breakfast. I was informed by Director of Rooms that I received a room upgrade to a partial ocean view but the resort did not honor the "platinum" breakfast benefit. Based on my prior research, I anticipated his response but was saddened that I was not offered continental breakfast passes like other Tripadvisor.com reviewers had referenced. Though he was kind and had a smile, I sensed irritation by my tripadvisor.com reference. He kindly stated that he would see what he could do but not to expect something for everyday of my stay.
I was pleased to receive a room upgrade to a partial ocean view but was also saddened to see what room 527 had to offer. I could go in to detail but it simply isn't worth it. The pictures that I uploaded speak for themselves.
Ten minutes into my stay, it was obvious that my use of points for my 6 day stay was the root cause of my frustration.
Later that evening, I was moved to room 1515 and the next evening I was given 8 full breakfast buffet passes.
So why 3 stars? My stay was free, I felt horrible asking for a different room and embarrassed that I had to reference tripadvisor.com reviews in effort to be treated equally. I earn platinum rewards because I love Marriott hotels not because Marriott is the only hotel chain.
Overall, my hotel experience was wonderful. I could have easily given 5 stars had my check in experience been as pleasant as my hotel stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear JenJumpers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the resort. It is our goal to have each and every guest to have a wonderful experience from beginning to end and I am sorry that we fell short in this instance. We value your loyalty to Marriott and as a platinum member, you do receive a complimentary upgrade when available and your choice of a $10 food and beverage credit or 500 rewards points. I am sorry about the confusion regarding breakfast. Thank for your honest feedback.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Marriott beds are the best. Super comfy. That made up for a how small the room was. It really doesn't make up for the not-a-balcony sliding glass door that opened to a small plastic fence, but this was the upgraded ocean view room.

The resort part has a few pools, water slide, spa, hot tub, a few restaurants and bars, hammocks, towel service, and they even had chairs and toys you could borrow for the beach. It was pretty nice. The best part is that it is on the beach.

They decided to go along with other "resorts" by adding a $15 per day resort fee. Why don't you just charge what you want to charge! This frustrates me beyond end.

Bottom line is that the place is pretty nice. Don't expect a lot as far as relaxing views from your balcony or preferential treatment based on your Marriott Rewards Status. Just suck it up on the resort fee and the overpriced everything, just relax and you will go away happy.

Full Disclosure: I am a Marriot Platinum Member with almost 1000 nights spent in Marriott hotels. I have a little experience with Marriot properties and I have a big fan.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms per floor with an actual balcony, so don't expect any kind of a real...
Dear honeymoonin,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the bed, even though you were not pleased with the room. You will see in our sleeping room descriptions that only our ocean front rooms have balconies. Unfortunately, the resort view and ocean view rooms just have the railing. I apologize for any confusion on that. I apologize that you were frustrated with the resort fee. This charge is stated on our website when making your reservation and outlines all the amenities that our full service resort has to offer. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and we hope you enjoy your next vacation, wherever that may be.
Naper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just returned from four days at the Marriott. My husband and two 16 year olds loved every minute---we hated to leave! From the moment we arrived at the beautiful grounds and were greeted by everyone at the front desk, we knew this was going to be a great vacation. Our room wasn't ready so after lunch we took advantage of the chairs by the beach. They do cost extra but it was worth it. It was so nice to be able to sit right by the ocean! When our room was ready, an extremely friendly bellhop brought our bags to our room. He was awesome. Everyone in the hotel, from the maids to the girl who works at the hotel store was fantastic. They know the meaning of great customer service!

The location is superb, right on the beach, which is beautiful, I might add. The pool area was fantastic. Clean and not crowded, though you will need to get there early to get a chair by the pool. Tip: Go down before breakfast, put your towels on your chairs and come back a little later. The service by the pool is outstanding. Unlike some other reviews, we thought the food was great. My husband and I enjoyed the fish tacos and my daughter and I shared some awesome peel and eat shrimp. The drinks were great, too.

Our room was always clean and was very comfortable. We always slept well during our stay. I wish we would have reserved an oceanfront room instead of an ocean view room---we would have liked to enjoy the balcony and a better view of the Atlantic.

In short, the Marriott is a beautiful property, with amazing service and wonderful amenities. We stayed at another hotel in Myrtle Beach last year and it can't come close to the Marriott. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony and a true ocean view, be sure to choose an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear dbail10,

We absolutely loved your review. Thank you so much for the kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed your resort experience with us and hope you can come back again next year and get the ocean front room, so you can soak up the beauty of the Atlantic Ocean.

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!