“Well Managed Property” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Well Managed Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay for the week-end. Got in early at 9:30am and they were able to give us our room early which was unexpected! Everyone we meet with the resort was helpful and very friendly. We also enjoyed the spa, a needed massage was perfect for our stay! Would highly recommend it you are looking for a nice resort in Myrtle Beach!

Room Tip: Pool gets crowded in the summer, so need to reserve your spot early in the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear ChasTraveler1,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that we were able to get you into your room early and that you were able to take advantage of all that the resort has to offer. It is so gratifying to hear from guests that our staff is friendly and helpful. We strive, every day, to maintain Marriott's excellent standards, and it is great to know that you think we are doing a good job. We hope to have you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed here the past 2 years for a business event. We have had a great experience both times. Rooms are always clean and updated. The pool area is awesome! Great service at the pool bar~ lots of activities for the kids. Look forward to our next visit!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ellie W,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about the resort. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the amenities offered at the resort and that housekeeping did a great job at keeping your sleeping room clean. We look forward to having you back again next year!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We came to myrtle beach for a long weekend. We have stayed at the grand dunes ocean watch villas and wanted to try out the hotel next door. We were not disappointed and in many ways liked the hotel better than the marriott ocean watch villa.

Pros: resort style hotel with excellent poolside service. Every poolside server we had was prompt and readily available. The chair flags were very helpful in this regard in getting their attention. The poolside bar and "the bar" upstairs both also had great service. The valets had our car available to us quickly each time. The pool was large and had plenty of seating in spite of the fact that people hold chairs all day with a towel (and never sit in them). All the food we had there was good. Overall our experience was great.

Cons:
The room was a traditional hotel room with a traditional style very small bathroom. It could use a bathroom update to make it a little more "resort-like". My only other complaint is that the outdoor bathroom near the pool is small and always had a wet floor. For as many seats as there are by the pool 2-3 stalls is not too many. Also I understand some people are not drying off before using the restroom but a wet floor around stalls always makes me feel grossed out in flip flops because I don't know if the toilets have overflowed or other guests have simply gone in there dripping wet.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Willowvacay,

Thank you for sharing your review of the resort verses the Villas. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort's outlets and that the poolside servers were prompt. We are glad that the valet did a good job at retrieving your car quickly when needed. Thank you for your feedback regarding the sleeping room and outdoor pool area bathroom. We are continually looking for ways to get better, so that each and every guest has a wonderful experience. Your feedback will help us to continue to strive to improve the property.
Doha, Qatar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I recently stayed for 2 nights and paid USD 319 per night (excluding taxes). For that rate, we expected a top-notch hotel and services, but were very disappointed.

When reading mhinds' review of that hotel, we experienced exactly the same: a very old hotel, hotel rooms that feel like a jail cell, a packed swimming pool.

To us, this has nothing to do with the Marriott hotel - it is just the 'popularity' of Myrtle Beach and a place that has not really been revamped within the past 50 years. Consequently, all hotels and motels in MB are old, dirty and uncomfortable, the popularity maintaining the room rates very high.
For the rest of our stay, we stayed in a mediocre hotel for half the price. The comfort was even worse - at least it felt a better rate/quality ratio than spending the equivalent of a 4-star hotel room rate in Paris, into a hotel which in any other place would not be worth more than USD 80 a night...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Sociss-de-Monbe,

We are very sorry that you have had a poor experience at our resorts and did not enjoy Myrtle Beach in general. The pool is certainly a popular place to be and can get crowded during the summer time, but there are other times when it is tranquil and relaxing. We apologize that you did not feel that the resort with all of the amenities offered was not worth the cost. We hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation and we hope that the next city you visit has everything you were looking for.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were so incredibly disappointed with this Marriott. I currently stay in Marriotts weekly and have been to several resorts throughout the US and outside of the US. Having never been to Myrtle before, my fiance and I were so excited to spend a week here which cost us all of our Marriott points and then some. Biggest mistake ever.

The rooms are sub par, outdated (almost retro) with a sad excuse for an ocean view which overlooked the dirty roof of one section of the hotel which is covered with trash and an air conditioner. A balcony? I think not. Picture a door that opens with a baby gate across it. The room feels like being stuck in a jail cell.

Our week: a dance competition went on from 6am to 11pm. Children and young adults running around nonstop with absolutely no regard for those staying in the hotel. It was just too much.

Want to relax in the hot tub later in the evening? Try doing that with an endless supply of children constantly jumping in, no matter how late it is. The pool area during the day is all children as well - which is fine for a family resort, just not what we expected and again, not for a young couple looking to relax. Note to Marriott managers... Please limit the ages for the hot tub at least after 9pm so adults have somewhere to relax other than sitting in their rooms. It's ridiculous. Afterall, they have complete run of 3 pools, just let the adults that are paying for the place have one serene area!

Food: completely overpriced and generic. And drinks... Buy your own and stock up. Better yet, vacation somewhere else and do not waste your hard earned money and/or Marriott points to stay here. They will NOT take care of you.

This is not a category 7 and my weekly business trips may need to start using another hotel chain as this was frankly unacceptable and I feel completely ripped off.

Dear mhinds,

We appreciate your honest review of our resort. We always try to maintain Marriott's high quality standards and apologize that we fell short. We are sorry you were not satisfied with your sleeping room and the resort's outlets. We apologize that the group that was in the resort during your stay interfered with your overall experience. The pool area is the hub of our resort and it is our goal to ensure that all of our guests can enjoy it. A hotel staff member would have been happy to assist you if they had been notified about the situation. Our goal is for every guest to leave happy and I am sorry that you did not feel that way upon your departure. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope you have a wonderful time wherever your next adventure may take you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is our 5th vacation to Myrtle Beach as a family. We have always stayed at this hotel and it has been wonderful at all times. However, this last visit was just a little dissapointing at the beginning. We are a family of four (2 small children, ages 6 and 3). We reserved an oceanview room. They gave us a great spot on the 4th floor. When we walked into the room there was a King size bed with a foldable bed (cot). Therefore, my 6 year old slept there and my 3 year old slept with my husband and I. The next morning, my little boy woke up with a very sore back, I touched the mattress from his cod and it was pure wires! I felt so bad for him! Also, during the night, my 3 year old kicked and tossed and turned all night and we ended up having a bad night! I only wished they would have offered a better arrangement for our family (maybe 2 beds, pull out bed big enough for the kids, or even better cods!) I was not going to allow my kid to continue sleeping on this cod, so I called the front desk and requested a better cot. I also asked them if it was possible to send me another one for my other kid. They were so helpful !! They immediately brought up two cods with cushioned mattresses. They actually ended up placing a thick comforter around the flimsy mattresses to cushion them up. They were so comfy after that! Both of my kids ended up sleeping well in their own bed and my husband and I had comfortable nights without having our 2 year old kicking at us! As a way of making things even better for us, they offered complimentary breakfast at their hotel. The breakfast buffett was delicious! Overall, I do have to say that the staff are wonderful and very accomodating. So if something is not comfortable to you, or you are not happy with something, don't hesitate to call the front desk. They are great at making things better for you! I highly recommend this place, and granted I had a little bit of a dissapointment the first day, I will continue to stay at this place! My kids love it, and so do we!

Room Tip: You can get discounted rates if you are AAA member, military or government worker. However, discount...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Minnie S

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the resort. I am sorry to hear about your initial disappointment with the quality of the bed. We want each of our guests to have wonderful nights sleep while they are staying with us, and I apologize that the bed did not meet your expectations. However, I am happy to hear the front desk took great care of you and was able to replace the bed and enjoy breakfast in Ocean's on 82nd. We would love to have your family back in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We planned a vaca w our girls 23 and 5 months)-always on our anniversary week. We were happy to stay on the beach. This was such an amazing vacation: fr the hotel, to the staff, to the amazing pool and slide, to easy access to the beach, to the location, to the breakfast buffet... I can't say enough! We loved this place- from our first night, we declared this will be our annual family vaca spot! Well worth the drive from Alabama!!! The room was a bit tight- but we also had a playpen, otherwise- I can't complain!!! We had a little issue w our refrigerator and not only did they take care of it and replace it, as well as replace milk for my daughter, but they also went above and beyond what was expected w a courtesy champagne/fruit/cheese tray for our anniversary and fridge inconvenience! We absolutely loved it so much ... We're booking another trip next month! Thank you Marriott!!!

Dear ArabQT

Thank you for your fantastic review about the resort. We would love to have you here every year for your annual family vacation! Happy anniversary and we can't wait to see you again soon!

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!