“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Seriously, has anybody on this site traveled outside of Myrtle Beach? This hotel saw its heyday in the (apparently) 1970's. The restaurants make Dennys look like the epitome of taste. The bar seemed like a lonely train station, decorated to depress. Two huge columns in the bar were begging to become aquariums. Can we embrace something nautical here, I was told this hotel was on the beach? Note to interior decorator, retro only works when you have a plan, not simply a confusion of intent.

The room? Who can forget what you had to see before arriving there. I will never besmirch Denny's again.

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is an above average resort hotel situated right on the beach. Pool area was very clean and good service pool side. Restaurants on site were above average. Room was just ok. We had a corner room with average view of beach. Furniture and decor was outdated and tired. Due for renovation makeover. Service and concierge was very good and helped us enjoy our week with directions and reservations at local golf and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Well, it's Marriott standard for resorts and all is kept at standards to make you feel comfortable. As expected, courteous and well trained staff make you feel like a king. The beach is gorgeous, it can be enjoyed just few yards from the pool complex. Too many pools to chose from BTW! A pity it was winding so strong we could not enjoy all outdoors amenities and the beach. Next time, not in December time of course...

Room Tip: Stay away from lower ocean view rooms, they are too close to A/C fans which are noisy. There are als...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

If I had two words to sum up my experience staying at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes it would be PARADISE GETAWAY! My cousin got married in September 2011 nearby this hotel. My husband and I decided to stay at the resort because it was close to the beach, had a pool, and was near the wedding venue. I will say the hotel is a bit pricey (and the food is a bit expensive) BUT IT IS WORTH THE MONEY. We arrived on a Thursday and left on a Sunday and even though it was more than I would have liked to spend... the food, service, grounds, room, ocean, pool, gym, and staff made it worth every penny. They say, "you get what you pay for"... WE DID!! If this hotel is in your price range I would 100% recommend it.

The pool is AMAZING- they even have a second smaller pool twisty water slide on a side - where the entire family did their own time trial competition on who could make it down the fastest. The main pool is large, spacious, and you never feel you are on top of anyone else.

On to the beach. Wow - what a location. Minimal shells, enough space for you and your partner (or family) to spread out without feeling like you are on top of other guests. Fantastic!

Finally (and the most important part) FOOD. The food is out of this world. EVERY single meal we had was "the best thing I ever ate". Granted we did pay through the nose for the food, but man did we get quality meals. At one point my husband ordered a lobster roll - when it arrived it did not have the mayo mixed in and it was very dry. We hate to complain, but we mentioned it to the server. She immediately apologized and about 5 minutes later the food services manager arrived at our table with a fresh meal and apologized - taking the item off of our tab. I had never seen such sincerity and an attempt to remedy a situation at a restaurant within the hotel.

I am currently a Hilton Honors member as well as a Marriott member, and after a horrendous experience at a Hilton recently I will not be staying with Hilton again. Moving forward I will be a Marriott member only. Do not doubt this venue - you will be happy and impressed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the pool area
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hartsville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach
in early December. The resort was beautiful and very well maintained.
The staff was very polite and helpful. The room was spaceous and the bed was the most comfortable I've sleep in. We also took advantage of the Spa and it was so relaxing. Just as the resort, it had everything you could imagine with a very professional staff. The only negative thing I could say about this trip, would be the $15.00 per day resort fee. This was a surprise. When I booked online, I thought everything was included. However, I don't think this will keep me from returning. Plan to visist again in the summer.

Cranbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed in late November so it was very quiet and empty - probably no more than 20 or so rooms were taken. Service was very friendly and unlike some of the other reviewers, we were not charged the resort fee, although I would have been just as upset if I had been since it was too cold to use the pool or other amenities. The place has big pools and a water slide and fronts a very wide beach. The room was similar to other Marriotts so there isn't much to say about that. I stay at a lot of Marriotts and the rooms are usually very similar. If you have a car, it is very convenient to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Oceanwatch Resort in Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving week, and our "overflow" guests stayed at this hotel, which was just next door to the resort--a five minute walk. The hotel was very nice and the restaurant good. My only objection, and the reason I gave this hotel four stars instead of five, was the $15.00 per day resort fee. I think these fees are just a way of charging more for the room without advertising the full price. I wouldn't have objected to paying $15.00 more per night for the room if I had known about it before hand. Also,since this was late November, what resort facilities were used? None. It was too cold to use the pools or beach, and who would pay $15.00 per day for an exercise room?

Overall, the hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!