“Understand the difference between condo and hotel rentals” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Myrtlewood Villas

Save Saved
You added Myrtlewood Villas to your Saves list
Myrtlewood Villas
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1410 48th Avenue North Ext, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Greenville, South Carolina
“Understand the difference between condo and hotel rentals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at Myrtlewood during my family reunion (August 17 -19). I rented three 3 bedroom, 2 bath condos. I booked the condos through booking.com and based on the reviews, I asked for units in the Magnolia Pointe section and also requested that they be newer units. Due to the varied reviews on tripadvisor, I was a little worried about what we would see when we checked in. Heck, I was worried about the check in process since some reviewers complained about how long it took, delayed check-in, etc; If you believe the reviews, it is hit or miss at this property and I was praying for a hit.

Needless to say, I was holding my breath as I opened the door to each of the condos. Luckily, I had nothing to worry about. All three of the condos were clean and well-maintained. The furniture and decor was updated and pretty recent - one condo had nicer stuff and larger tvs, but that's because of the taste of the owners. However, they were ALL nice. The kitchens were spotless and had cookware, glasses, flatware, etc; although we didn't need it because we brought our own stuff. DID YOU CATCH THAT? We knew it was a condo rental, we knew that what was provided would vary from unit to unit because of that so WE BROUGHT OUR OWN STUFF.

You can look at the photos of the one that I stayed in. This unit (as well as the others) was spacious and felt like home vs. the cramped feel of a hotel. The beds were very comfortable and mattresses looked to be fairly new. We didn't experience any problems with spiders, roaches, etc; The only place we saw any bugs of any kind was outside at night around the porch/walkway lights. The only complaint I have is that the guest toilet in my unit kept backing up. The repairman came twice with a plunger which was useless because there was a plunger there that I tried using to no avail. This toilet needed to be snaked out, but that didn't happen during our stay. Oh, and the floor and walls are thin. The kids upstairs from us sounded like stampeding elephants when they were running around, but fortunately, they went to bed early. : ) All of our units were ground floor which was great because we had about 6 seniors (65+) in our group, but there were elevators in addition to stairs.

I was very pleased with our stay. Check in was a breeze and the front desk staff were great. Pools were lovely and we were given wristbands that allowed us to enter any pool on the property. Some reviewers complained about not having pool access, but I think that depends on who you rented your condo from and if you were there during the baseball camp that many people mentioned????

As I said in the title, you have to understand that this is a condo rental. It is not going to be the same as a hotel. Condo rentals are built for people who are going to be fairly independent during their stay, not someone who expects housekeeping to be at their beck and call. Yes, we had to make our own beds, wash our own dishes and take out the trash, but we were okay with that because we understood that we were renting a CONDO. If that's not for you, choose a hotel. If you rent a condo, bring your own supplies, operate the way you do at home (NO MAID SERVICE) and you should be okay.

Also, stop complaining about paying a lot of money to stay at the beach. What do you expect when you go to the beach during the high (summer) season??? You're going to pay to stay no matter where you go.

I enjoyed my stay there and everyone in the group did as well. The seniors loved it so much, they were asking when can we return? We plan to go back for Thanksgiving!

Overall, our stay was excellent. It wasn't perfect, but what place is?

Room Tip: Call at 4 p.m. to make sure your room is ready. I did and check-in was a breeze. Request a newer un...

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Medford, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

As an owner, I'd like guests to be more respectful when they rent one of these units. We no longer rent our condo out through Myrtlewood, as we had unsatisfactory responses from them when we had numerous issues just like many of the guests on this website. Additionally we were frustrated & upset that guests have broken chairs, vertical blinds & even a bed but we didn't receive compensation from whoever did the damage as Myrtlewood failed to timely identify the damage & properly charge back the careless guests. We've had one flat screen bedroom TV & numerous TV remotes disappear, silverware gone missing, glasses missing (presume broken?) knick knacks missing/broken & a bedspread ruined by food stains. While we rented our unit through Myrtlewood, we were charged numerous times for carpet cleaning. I am confused as to why some guests have commented about stained carpets? We've also had pillow sham & blankets disappear & our vacuum has been taken twice. It's a Catch 22. We take pride in what our condo looks like & like to have nice things in it. We cross our fingers when we leave that nothing will be damaged or be missing when we return. We furnished & decorated with all brand new furniture, bedding, dishes, glassware, pictures, rugs & small kitchen appliances less than 3 years ago. Each time we return, we are heartbroken to see that someone has damaged or broken something. Most guests enjoy their stay & respect the units,(THANK YOU!) but I have seen firsthand the condition some people leave the units when their stay is over. I have to tell you it can be disgraceful. We continue to replace damaged items & fix items we notice (such as nail pops, settlement cracks,etc) because we care about maintaining the value of the property, but it can be discouraging when the effort is not noticed or respected. I agree that front office check-in should be fast, friendly & efficient. I also firmly agree that pristine Housekeeping is vital to feeling comfortable anywhere on vacation. I routinely clean our unit on my first day back, but I usually clean where ever I stay. I agree it should not be necessary, but it makes me feel better as I know when I clean, it's done thoroughly & properly. When one rents a condo on vacation, it is not the same as staying in a hotel room. You usually get a much larger living space with full kitchen, washer, dryer & dishwasher. However you don't get daily maid service, you do need to pick up after yourself, take the trash out, wash the dishes you use,etc. If the proper items are not provided for you, such as toilet paper,paper towels, tissues or trash bags, etc, call the front office or housekeeping & ask. Please don't stop calling the rental company until you recieve satisfaction. They are getting paid to provide you with personal service, don't let them slide by without doing what they are paid to do. Lastly, FYI about bugs, the units are sprayed on a regular basis by Magnolia Pointe & our Association dues pay for that service. Trust me, NO ONE wants bugs in their unit, next to their unit or anywhere near their unit. Owners have no control on who stays in their place or who its rented to & can only hope that the people renting live cleanly during their stay. Monthly exterminator spraying can only do so much.

Fort Wayne, In
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Myrtlewood was very nice and clean. It was roomy, had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and sleeping for 4 people. We had a problem with our air conditioner working the first night but an outside a/c repair man was there first thing the next morning and put in a new digital thermostat that fixed the whole problem. We were a 6 minute drive from the beach which was awesome....keep straight out of the resort exit and you are there!! Other than that, it was a perfect stay. Will definitely stay again!!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I own one of the 2 bedroom units at Myrtlewood Villas. I've been reading some of the comments here and would just like to give some input. Most people don't realize this is not like a hotel. There is no daily maid service. I've never had that in any condo rental I've stayed in. Actually, I've stayed in condos where you have to bring your own towels, sheets and pillows.

I've seen a number of comments about the twin beds being pushed together to form a King bed in the master bedroom. As part of being on the rental program, we are required to have this. That way, the unit can be rented for a couple with children or, for people who don't want to share a King bed (say, 4 guys on a golf weekend) The 2 twins connect together and should have a soft wedge in the middle. I just spent a week there and had no problem.

Obviously, cleanliness is something we all want. Unfortunately, a lot of the guests treat the units with no regard to the next guest (or the owners). I've had friends stay there immediately after another group was there that spilled stuff all over the rug and broke the vertical blinds. Maintenance didn't have enough time to get the blinds fixed or the rug cleaned before my friends' check in. However, there is no excuse for obviously bad cleaning. I mentioned it to housekeeping after reading the comments here.

Regarding comments about lacking enough dishes, utensils, blankets, etc. We are required to keep the unit stocked with enough for 6 people to stay. Glasses break, utensils get accidentally thrown away, etc. Whenever I go there I usually end up replenishing my cabinets, etc. Apparently, some owners don't do this and the staff should be made aware and management should be contacting the owner. I just bought my THIRD set of comforters in 4 years because guests keep stealing them! Really....who goes to a place and steals the comforters and bedspreads? What is wrong with people? Also, someone disconnected the DVD player and never hooked it back up again.

I have heard about long lines to check in and I agree...that is unacceptable. My guess is that this is probably happening on Friday, Saturday and Sundays at about 4-ish. My only recommendation would be to try and time your check in a bit later in the day. If there are 60 families with a Ripken group, all trying to check in at 4 PM, it's gonna take some time. We checked in on a Saturday around 6:15 and waited about 10 minutes. (yes, we have to check in just like everybody else)

I don't know why some guests can't use the indoor pool based on who they rented through. Can't help you there.

I do feel badly for guests who have had bad experiences. Believe me, I would be unhappy as well. Just wanted to let you know why some things are the way they are. When you rent condos owned by individuals, it's much different than a hotel. Although, it usually is much cheaper and you get a lot more room. Plus you can cook, do laundry, etc (just what you want on vacation!).
We just had new mattresses delivered and new drapes for the living room installed. Unfortunately, some of the owners probably never check on their unit so, they don't know what needs replacing or updating.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I would definitely recommend staying at the Mytlewood Villas while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. We stayed in a three bedroom condo. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well stocked with cleaning and cooking supplies. The location is also perfect. It was very close to the beach, boardwalk, amusement parks and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Selden, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We came here through RCI, thinking it was a resort. We come to find out that we are renting through Palmetto Vacation Rentals. We cant use the lazy river or indoor pools and hot tubs. Even though we payed 2,000 dollars. The place from the outside looks great but then you get inside and its horrible. Stains all over the carpets, bed sheets and comforters, towels are dirty, hairs all over in the bathroom, we found roaches in the bedroom and bathrooms, their is a dirty smell in the place and theirs mold. To top it off the lights werent working and the dishes are all dirty. We would never come back here the worst place in the whole world. Waste of money!!!!!! Then we are told we need to pay a $195.00 cleaning fee and towel fee, for what when the towels and sheets are dirty and theirs bugs. Dont waste your money!!!!!!!!!

Vale, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Our one room condo was very clean and spacious. We most liked that the room was close to one of the many pools. We most disliked the fact that our king size bed was two twin mattresses put together. Other than that we were very pleased! We will definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Myrtlewood Villas? Share your experiences!