“Relieved to see for myself” 3 of 5 stars

Boardwalk Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   2301 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29578   |
Ranked #167 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relieved to see for myself”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2005

Our family just stayed at The Boardwalk for three nights the first of August. After reading some of the reviews I was quite concerned about the choice I had made for our family to stay. We stayed in the North Tower and really there were no major problems. The only thing I noticed was the carpet was quite old and the curtain on the sliding door had worn places in it, but these didn't cause any real problems. The kitchen was furnished okay and everything worked fine. The bathtub would have been difficult for someone elderly or even slightly disabled because it was very deep and part of the side of the tub is blocked by the vanity. It was no problem for us though.
The room was clean and towels were no problem for us. The staff was friendly. We enjoyed several conversations with the cleaning staff as we used the elevators and came and went from our room. The air conditioning worked fine for us and we heard no noise from it. My husband said he wished they at least had complimentary coffee. I do not drink coffee so this was not a priorty when I booked the room. He survived! There was a coffee maker in the room; however, I did not think to bring coffee or filters.
The elevators are very warm but you are only on them to go up and down.
The location is very nice and convenient. Only a short distance from a grocery store and Family Kingdom and of course Walmart is only a few miles away. The pools are very nice and there are plenty of chairs for the guests to use. Our son really enjoyed the Lazy River. The water was perfect while we were there. No jellyfish! I noticed parking would be difficult for the guests in the South Towers, but there was a parking lot right next to our tower and of course the garage is across the street. We did not use this. All in all the hotel was fine for us. People who prefer upscale facilities probably would not care for The Boardwalk. We are average, middle class people and it suited us just fine.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

We stayed here 7/23-7/28/05 in an oceanfront efficiency in one of the older buildings, South Tower I. Because of all the terrible reviews on here I was expecting no less than a hell hole, but thankfully it wasn't all that bad. Our room on the 3rd floor was not fancy but quite clean and had relatively new looking carpet, bedspreads and drapes. No holes in the walls..anything like that. It did smell of cigarette smoke though, but we were so relieved that the room was okay that we didn't care. I have an issue with their towels though...they were only slightly bigger than my hand towels at home and about as thirsty as a dish rag. It took 2 to get even halfway dried off. And there were no paper towels or dish detergent in the kitchen. Most places provide those. Our maid service was good...clean towels and trash emptied every day. One day for some reason they didn't make the beds or vaccum but it was no big deal. We did have to call maintenance one day because the power cut off while I was blow drying my hair...but they were there within 10 minutes and fixed it.
Let me tell you about the halls and the elevator. Step out of the room and you feel like you stepped into a slum or something. Nasty..stinky..trashy. I know the halls get alot of traffic there...people in wet bathing suits, etc...but it was way beyond that. There was trash lying around..peeling paint everywhere...I even stepped in gum. Awful. And the elevator was so tiny and airless it was scary. If anybody got stuck in there they would suffocate to death before they were rescued.
Thankfully the pools and other areas were clean and landscaped. The pools at the main Tower were nice and new but we only went in them once because they were too crowded and everybody had chairs reserved by 8 am. We stuck to the South Tower I pool which was much less crowded. They need to do some work to the pool and spa there though because it's so old it's literally starting to crumble apart. The whole South Tower I and II could use a good makeover before it gets too bad.
Parking was good here. If we couldn't find a spot at hotel we just parked in the parking garage across the street..no problem. I noticed alot of people who parked in the adjacent public metered spaces had tickets on their cars and one night they towed several cars who were parked in no parking.
My son ate at the on site cafe, which he liked but said that the hotel game room sucked. My husband used the workout room...said it was just fine. We hated that there was no bar here though..we had to walk next door to the Breakers and enjoy their's.
If you want peace and quiet stay somewhere else because this seemed like a party hotel. People were partying on the lawn all night. The pool supposedly closed at 10 but there were people in it all hours of the night. There was supposedly a security guy around somewhere..probably sleeping.
All in all this was a decent place to stay. The price was right ($155.00 a night) and the location couldn't be better...about a mile up 21rst to Broadway at the Beach, and you could see the Pavilion from the beach in front of the hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

My family stayed at the Boardwalk for four nights our room was small but cleaned; however, we did have problems with getting towels.We called the front desk several times finally we asked the housekeeper, and she was very nice and friendly. We had a two bedroom suite only one bath, which was extremely small.However,we did have a very beatiful view of the ocean.We were in the main tower. One could tell that this hotel was old because the outside looked run down.There were a few problems such as pool hours,parking,and the elevators.First, the pools was closed at 10:00 p.m. and people would leave food laying around the pools. The parking garage is terrible because you enter and exit the same way.They could at least add mirrors so you can tell if another car is coming.Finally, the elevators stunk.They were very hot and smelly.I would stay with them again if I had too.

NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

this hotel is all a smoking hotel(not stated anywhere) in order to go on elevator you have to make a line, it's really slow too, carpet in room was filthy, as well as furniture, air conditioning made horrible noises at night, fridge didn't work as it should've.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

Just returned from the Boardwalk resort. There are actually four different buildings that accommodate the guests. I stayed in the north building, oceanfront view. The rooms were average, but it didn't really matter because the ocean area was excellent. If you are there for the beach and not to stay in the room, this is a great place. The employees were extremely helpful, very polite. The restaurant for the breakfast and lunch looked as if it was an afterthought but the food was very good. We ate there each morning and 3 of the four lunch times. Most people are stopping in from the beach so decor is not important with sand on you.
The pools looked inviting eventhough I did not partake. The beach area was lit up at night which made for great strolls.
You would not go wrong with this hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

We had read bad reviews and were worried but were pleasantly surprised at a clean and spotless room. We had one bedroom with two queen beds, a walk through kitchen and a living room with a murphy bed and a pull out sofa. We also had a shower/jacuzzi tub combo in the bathroom. (Everyone had their own bed...it was great!) We had an oceanfront room so if you sat on the balcony, it was ocean everywhere! There were several pools and you could walk right out on the beachfront. Tons of tables and chairs were available for everyone to use. We parked in the resort owned deck across the street. It was great to have a readily available parking place. We were about a mile from Broadway on the Beach (local shopping and restaurants). It was a very easy to get around and enjoy the local amenities. The only thing I would do is to request that the room be treated for smoke. This complex has no "non-smoking" accomodations and we had to treat the room with Febreeze (a little bit) and open some doors for a short time. It was not offensive but I would pay the low fee to have this done. (I forgot about asking for it when I made the reservation.) We had a great time and the kids loved the proximity to the ocean!!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

I just returned from Myrtle Beach and stayed at Boardwalk Resort. We arrived right at check-in time and had no wait to get in our room. We stayed in a lovely suite that had ample room for my party of 6 including 2 queen beds a murphy bed and a fold out bed. Our kitchen area was very nice and the dishes and silverware were in great shape. Our bathroom had a jaquzzi tub that was absulutly wonderful. Our balcany offered a wonderful oceanfront view that left me breathless when I first seen it. I absolutly had no complaints about our room what so ever.
So lets move on to the ammenities. The pools were all in pretty good shape, with plenty of chairs. The kids loved the lazy river. Next the Boardwalk Cafe. This place left a lot to be desired. I did not eat there, but after I walked by and seen the inside I crossed that off the places to eat. It looked as though they took a little office storage room and added plastic tables and chairs ahd put up a restaurant sign. The gameroom was no arcade. It had about 4 videogame machines in which 2 were out of order and 1 just ate quarters. Housekeeping was good. They never woke us up, actually they usually got to our room around lunch time. The elevators were in good working order and were not to slow.
So nothing to flashy abut the Boarwalk. But if you are looking for a nice spacious clean room with a great view, and pools to keep the kids busy during down time then I would recommend the Boardwalk Resort.

Been to Boardwalk Beach Resort? Share your experiences!