My family has been coming to Long Bay Resort for years as a winter weekend getaway. So, when we decided to bring our son for his third birthday, I turned to Long Bay when looking for a place to go with an indoor 'water park'. We booked a three-bedroom condo in the Savoy (#503) and got a really great rate for the weekend of 4/27.
Upon arrival, I was saddened that the enclosure was removed for the indoor pool areas. It was a little chilly and our youngest (one year old) didn't get to swim much because he stayed so cold. But, I understand that the resort has to make the decision of when to remove the enclosure. The birthday boy still loved it, so all was well!
I was not very thrilled about the unit itself. It was clean, but the carpet was coming up in the entry way and seemed to not meet the walls in places (which meant lots of crumbs and yuck gathered there for my kids to explore). One of the bedrooms reeked of cigarette smoke smell at night, so I had to leave the door open so my baby didn't sleep in the stench. When traveling, I like to feel like I'm in paradise (an upgrade from the everyday), but the outdated decor in this unit was pretty lackluster. It was definitely sub-par from the other rooms I've stayed in at Long Bay. I had my fingers crossed for an updated room, but we didn't get one. It's a luck of the draw, and after unloading all of our stuff I didn't have the energy to request a room move.
A note about the lazy river -- It does have a sign for you to use inner-tubes for floating, which I appreciate. We've been at another resort where there were no such rules and the river was flooded with wild kids swimming -- and it was impossible to just laze. However, my three-year-old was in his flotation device floating around one evening (happily!) and we were asked to put him in an inner tube and doing so made it impossible for him to enjoy the floating. The huge ring could have drowned him itself. But, I know there are rules for a reason, so we made do. It'd just be great to somehow have smaller tubes for little ones if tubes are going to be requirements. Or, alternatively, allow them to float with their own flotation devices.
Starbucks was great each morning. Parking underneath the Savoy building was so convenient! And the view -- wow -- doesn't get any better than that. I felt like we were sitting on the ocean! The location was great. The beach was clean and the pool area was very well-kept.
Overall, it was a pleasant experience. If we decide to go again, we may check out some other properties, or attempt to request an updated room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the more quiet north end of Myrtle Beach you are just seconds from the heart of attractions and restaurants. Long Bay resort has been a favorite among families and golfers for decades. Enjoy newly renovated accommodations with your choice rooms, suites, efficiencies and condo all with the comforts of home. Check out any of our onsite food and beverage outlets, there’s Martins restaurant, the Seaside Cafe, Starbucks Cafe and our oceanfront Tiki Hut. And let’s not forget about the amenities. No beach vacation is completes without a dip in one of our many water features. There’s our in and outdoor kiddies pool areas with silly submarine and mushroom waterfalls, our heated indoor lazy river, our ocean front outdoor pool deck with pool and Jacuzzi, our indoor pool, a sauna and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Long Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Bay Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Long Bay Resort Myrtle Beach
- Long Bay Myrtle Beach
- Long Bay Resorts Myrtle Beach Sc