“Excellent Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'll admit the price is what attracted me to this resort originally. They have some great prices, especially if you book in advance and take advantage of their specials. The only MB resort I have to compare it to is the Caribbean, which would have been at least $350 more for our 6 day stay in an OF 3bd condo. (we stayed at Caribbean last year) I'd pick Long Bay hands down, especially for the savings.
Pros: loved the location and the Savoy building. We had all the amenities of a big resort, but were in a smaller setting. This meant assigned parking spot, fast elevator service and a small pool just for our buildling. But it was still very convenient to go the main part of the resort and take advantage of all their pools, kids submarine, lazy river, hot tubs, Starbucks, etc. Also, I can't say enough about the cleanliness of this place. We saw employees cleaning the pools and decks consistently throughout the day. There was NEVER any trash laying around. And our room, upon arrival, was also very clean. I'm telling you, the savoy building is a hidden treasure. Our living room had a wrap around balcony and 2 of the walls were glass, which made for the best view I've had at the ocean.
Cons: I can't speak for the main building, but the savoy could use a few updates. Our furniture, kitchen and overall decor of the room was a bit dated. Apparently a lot of the condos are individually owned, but Long Bay still handles the renting of them. But it's up to the owners to update the room. I wish they were rented out individually (by the owner) so we could see in advance what the room looked like. The savoy 3bd condos all have varying decor, so it would be nice to know what you're getting when you book.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and will return again.

Room Tip: Three bedroom oceanfront in the savoy! Assigned parking spot, your own pool and fast elevator servi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
longbay1, General Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for your review of Long Bay Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the Savoy is a hidden treasure. We do have plans to update all of our units coming up. We work very hard to keep the resort clean at all times and I am glad that it shows. We appreciate your great comments and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé spent the last part of our honeymoon at long bay and had an amazing experience! The staff left us a generous bottle of champagne with souvenir glasses! The amenities were amazing.... Love the lazy river!! I look forward to spending our one year anniversary at long bay!!

• Stayed September 2012
longbay1, General Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the amazing time you had at Long Bay. I am happy that you were able to enjoy the champagne and souvenier glasses, as well as the pools and lazy river. We look forward to seeing you again on your anniversary!
Levittown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have stayed at other resorts in the past, but decided to give this one a try since it had good ratings. Overall it was a good trip and our room was clean and spacious. I found the rates that we paid were very competitive and I really did like the location. It is at the northern part of Myrtle Beach close to the residential area and away from the downtown area.
The hotel had quite a few pools and covered activities that we used on overcast and rainy days. This was a life saver with our daughter, and was one of the reasons that I booked this hotel. The pool was really warm and the maintenance guys seemed to always be around, cleaning up or fixing things. They have a Starbucks in the front, which was a nice option for breakfast. We did try to the breakfast buffet, but it was average at best.
Generally we stay at resorts where there is a large lobby and quite a few amenities. This resort is more like a condo rental in my opinion. It is clean, family orientated, but not luxurious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!!

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the amenities and water features, despite a few rainy days. We do have plans during the off season to create a business center. Each year we discuss and plan different upgrades and projects to keep our resort competitive.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Apex, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Check in at 6:30 pm on Friday before a holiday weekend was relatively quick. We had a 2-queen room on the ground floor. No ambience, but the room was spacious. A little dated, but for what we paid, I wasn't expecting luxury! We were right off the parking deck, which I thought would be a problem, but we didn't really hear much. That may be because I like to sleep in cool air, so the ac unit was going all night and it wasn't quiet, but it drowned out any deck noise, so that was OK. Parking is on site. Two pools (1 under cover), plus a kiddie splash pool, lazy river, 3 hot tubs and a sauna. The pools, especially the one under cover, were extremely warm, but better at night. Easy beach access, with umbrellas and chairs available. A request to housekeeping for an extra pillow & blanket got them to our door in less than 10 minutes. All in all, we were very happy with the amenities and location, and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms on the lower floors will likely be noisy during crowded periods.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!!

I'm glad we were able to make your first trip to Long Bay Resort, a pleasant one. It is our goal to be the number one resort in Myrtle Beach.

We hope to see you again soon!

Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We've been coming to Myrtle Beach for 5 years, and we have stayed at a resort that was quite expensive, yet it was not up to par the way this one was. The most important thing to me is the cleanliness, and I can tell you without hesitation, that the room was really clean - the layout of our room was wonderful, and relaxing on the balcony after a day at the beach was heavenly -
If we needed something, all we had to do is ask ONCE, and whatever we needed was taken care of in a very timely manner. The staff made you feel like you were their most important guest, and that mean alot to someone. It was a great trip, even if the weather didn't cooperate - when we come back, you can rest assurred that we will be staying at Long Bay Resort - no doubt about it.

Room Tip: No matter what room you chose, you can't go wrong at the Long Bay Resort.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!!

Thank you for all your wonderful comments concerning our resort and staff. I will be sure to pass your feedback among the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Glen Allen, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at Long Bay Aug 16-25 in a 3 bedroom ocean front condo in the Savoy building. We made our reservations in March directly thru the hotel. When we arrived, we found a condo in serious need of an upgrade. When we complained we were told that the owner of the unit refused to upgrade the condo which, in my opinion, is unrentable. They said there was nothing they could do. Our unit looked nothing like the pictures on the Long Bay website. They advertised 1 king bed, 1 queen and 2 full. We got 1 king, 1 full and 3 twins with the worst mattresses I have ever slept on. The bedspreads were nasty. They advertised all kitchens had been upgraded with granite counter tops, yet our unit looked like it hadn't been touched since 1980. The unit smelled musty, wall paper was peeling off the walls, tiles were cracked, cabinet doors on the kitchen and bathroom cabinets were broken and coming off the hinges. The bathroom cabinet and wall vanity were so disgusting we were afraid to use them. The TV in the living room had to be 10 years old and didn't pick up the same channels as the bedroom TV's. Also, the piece of furniture holding the TV was broken. The balcony table was absolutely disgusting. We had to call for housekeeping at least 4 of the days we were there since no one had shown up by 4pm. The ice maker was broken and even after maintenance got that working, the refrigerator leaked inside. After 3 calls to have that repaired, we gave up and just soaked up the water as best we could. When we checked out, we gave the girl a list of the problems and told her the unit really should not be rented to anyone else until they make some serious improvements and were pretty much given the brush off. On a positive note, the resort does have several great pools and lazy river. Great location and I did like the dedicated parking spot for each unit. Unfortunately, they have given us no reason to ever stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com. We use TripAdvisor as one of the many channels to gather feedback directly from our guests, in an effort to continuously improve.

I sincerely apologize for the quality of the unit you stayed in. While it is difficult to gain access to all the rooms during the busy summer season, there is absolutely no excuse for a room to be in such poor repair, as you described. I have brought your concerns to the attention of our Chief Engineer, so that we can thoroughly inspect the unit and perform necessary maintenance.

It is true that the units in the Savoy building have a slightly different layout. As it was previously a residential building prior to Long Bay's acquirement, there are several floor plans, which lend themselves to different bedding scenarios. Unfortunately, due to the many variations, there is nothing we could post on the website, so that you know exactly what to expect. As a result, the Savoy 3 Bedroom Condo is not even listed. However, this is where our reservations staff should explain the difference and potentially the number of beds you may end up with. I realize this glaring error could easily have been avoided and I will follow up with the staff member that failed to explain the reservation thoroughly.

Again, I can't apologize enough for all of our shortcomings. As you can see by a large majority of the previous reviews written for our resort, this is not a typical experience. I sincerely hope that you give Long Bay Resort another attempt to provide the level of service that should have been present on your first visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Corey Shaw
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have been to MB on several trips-many for a much longer stay. We really wasn't familiar with The Long Bay Resort. Now this will be our first choice. Our family really enjoyed the facilities. The staff that we came in contact with were exceptional. When making the arrangements I was a little apprehensive, but glad I accepted our first choice-even though we did not know what we were getting. Our stay was remarkable. We will absolutely stay again, and recommend!!!

Room Tip: Third floor Ocean Front is our favorite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!!

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time on your first visit to Long Bay Resort! We hope it's the beginning of many more visits in the future!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Long Bay Resort? Share your experiences!