“College Students should be ashamed of their actions” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Savings of 35% for Summer
Ranked #34 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Piittsburgh
“College Students should be ashamed of their actions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We just recently returned home from the Long Bay Resort. We have stayed there several times and always enjoyed its amentities, staff and Martins Restaurant. this time we enjoyed all of the above, except for the Gettysburg seniors who were celebrating their upcoming graduation. They had no respect for any other guest of Longbay being loud, drunk and vulgar.
Longbay is a family hotel and it it was not fair that this occured. The management staff could not be at each end of the hotel all day long. The weather was not real sunny which caused them to be indoors more than usual. They had the lazy river and swimming pools completely packed at all times. The pool attendant certainly worked very hard to keep them in order but with so many it was hard.

I will not down grade Longbay because of this incident, because I saw the management staff out and about. It is just a shame that these students ruined some families only vacation for the year.

I hope when they finally get out in the work world and take their long awaited vacation, someone acts like they did and they finally realize how improper they were.

Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!!

I sincerely appreciate the acknowledgement of our staff's efforts to control the behavior of a few rowdy students. As you mentioned, even with additional security, it became an overwhelming task, and several of them had to be evicted.

Since their visit, I have personally contacted the University President & the Dean of Students. We are working together to ensure their student body finds alternative accommodations in the future, as they are no longer welcome here at Long Bay Resort.

Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

1,376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed at the Long Bay Resort for three nights and found that it is in a good location, away from the main strip but a short drive to whatever we we wanted to do. The pool and beach area is nice and includes plenty of lounge chairs, shuffleboard, a heated river pool, hot tub, ping pong, etc. However, the 'beach' towels are a more like old dish towels so bring your own if you are going to be spending any time at the pool or beach.
I like how the hotel has breakfast on site, a Starbucks, and the River City Cafe right next door. Plus it is near several other hotels.
We were a little disappointed with our room, which really needed to be updated. The mirror was cracked, the shower leaked, the paint was chipping, our safe was broken and unusable, etc. The rooms. elevators, and hallways are very musty smelling.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!

We are currently finishing up several renovations that we undertook in the beginning of the winter. Some of the improvements include all new granite counter tops, new cabinetry and flat screen televisions for the bedrooms. Additionally, we have added a fresh coat of paint to the entire exterior of the building, interior corridors, and replaced carpet in some of our highest traffic areas.

I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. Did you contact the front desk to have any of these issues addressed? While we do our best to perform preventative maintenance, it can be difficult to gain access to each individual unit during the busy season. Unfortunately, it may be necessary for us to repair or replace the necessary items during your visit.

I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy the restaurants, pools and other amenities, despite the issues you encountered with your room. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to know which unit you were staying in, so that I may follow up and ensure these problems are corrected.

Hope to see you again soon!

Coastal NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed at the Long Bay this weekend and this was our 9th time staying at the resort over the past thirteen years. We arrived late Friday evening and went to our room to find it less than clean. Now, we aren't sticklers who look for every bit of dust and dirt or who complain about everything. But it was clearly obvious that the housekeepers didn't do much to put the room in order.

Since we arrived so late Friday evening, My wife went downstairs to speak with the manager about this early the next morning. He apologized and commented that a group of college kids had been in there the week before and they were trying to get things back the way they should be. Really? Wiping sticky stuff and toenail clippings off the counter and picking up dental floss thrown by the dresser in the bedroom isn't such a big deal. At any rate, he said he would have the room thoroughly cleaned on Saturday while we were out and about.

My wife and son popped by the room for a few minutes to change before we went to a concert. They could tell someone had done some cleaning but the room was still relatively dirty (toenail clippings, paper and something sticky on the kitchen countertops). Plus the room stank like a vacuum cleaner bag that needed to be changed.

We have stayed here so many in times in the past and love the location, amenities and staff at this resort (Martin's is a FANTASTIC restaurant for breakfast and dinner!). I hope the housekeeping supervisors are notified and do a better job making sure rooms were clean. My suggestion to you is if your room isn't clean that you stay on top of them until it is clean to your satisfaction.

Room Tip: Room 862 has a great balcony, close to parking deck by still a quiet room. The air condition units...
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to follow up with you again before you left. I received your message that you were still unhappy following the complete housekeeping service we performed, but by that time, you had already checked out. As I mentioned to you in person, the issues that you experienced with the room is not the norm, and not acceptable here at Long Bay Resort. We will do everything necessary to make sure this does not happen in the future.

It is my understanding that the Resort Manager has already been in contact with you, but if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope this visit did not permanently damage your impression of our resort. We would love to see you again in the future!

langdon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Everyone was friendly and helpful. However, two people were exceptional. Our room wasn't what we wanted, and Marquita got us exactly what we wanted. Anytime we saw her, she had a smile on her face.
Connor, the pool attendant, was always smiling and asking how our stay was going and if there was anything we needed or wanted. He said just to ask and that he would gladly help us. He always spoke and offered assistance every day.
Both of these employees should be commended for their excellent jobs they are doing!

Room Tip: Most partial-view suites have a good view of the ocean.
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the resort and found the staff so friendly and helpful. Marquita & Connor are both valued members of our wonderful team! I will personally see that they are aware of your comments.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The room was fine but no coffee in the rooms just a coffee pot. The main attraction was the variety of pool areas. You could also play checkers on the roof. The pools were heated. Very family friendly.

• Stayed May 2012
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor.com!

In an effort to prevent waste, we do not provide coffee in the rooms at check-in. However, it is available upon request at the Front Desk. Additionally, we have an on-site Starbucks, for those who don't want to be hassled with making their own morning cup of coffee. Please don't hesitate to request anything from the Front Desk. We have many toiletries and items you may have forgotten to pack, and will be happy to provide anything we can!

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pools and life sized games. We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks,
Rahway, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a good location about 50 blocks up from the boardwalk. Check in was a quick easy process...A nice perk is that we parked our car on the 8th floor in garage, and my room was on the 8th floor. I had a one bdrm oceanfront suite..if you are expecting luxury this is not the place for you..everything is outdated, which is usually the case anywhere in the world with oceanfront resorts. The room is set up railroad style. You walk into abedroom with 2 queen beds. Next is a gallery kitchen with a full size stove/oven and refrigerator..there are pots, dishes, utensils available for use. Next to kitchen is a bathroom with double sink..through the kitchen is a living room with a dining table. Through this room was a balcony. There were 2 pools, a heated pool, a lazy river, and 3 jacuzzis. The pools/lazy river were open 9am-11pm.. My kids had a ball at this hotel. The beach was easily accessible.

My complaints are as follows:

There was no consistency with housekeeping. One day not enough towels, one day no dish rag. Floors weren't mopped..AND the funny thing is the housekeeping leaves tip envelopes. When I was cleaning up before checkout, I found underwear and a bra that didn't belong to us in the closet...EWWWW

Also there is SO much noise late At night, it woke me and my kids up everynight at 2am...young college kids were rowdy, screaming, slamming doors...

We tried the cafe and the prices were reasonable. The BLT was excellent.. All in all it was a good trip. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here. I may try something different next time though...

• Stayed May 2012
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for us on TripAdvisor.com. We value guest feedback in any form, so that we may address any areas that need improvement.
I sincerely apologize for the poor housekeeping service that you received during your stay. We have recently hired a new Director of Housekeeping and are in the process of retraining our housekeepers and supervisors to prevent things like this from happening in the future. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pools and restaurants, despite the issues you experienced with housekeeping.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We hope to see you again, soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband booked this hotel as part of my Babymoon vacation. What a wonderful suprise! Its not just called a resort but actually looks and feels like one. Staff was very helpful, everything was clean, best were super comfortable and the breakfast was to die for...real food. We requested another room with a better view and the manager went out of her way to take pictures with her cell phone of another room with a view and came to show them to me at breakfast to make sure we liked it before switching rooms. No need to look any further if you stay here you will not need to go anywhere else!

Room Tip: There is another hotel in front of this hotel so make sure if you want a complete ocean front view b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Corey_Shaw, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!

We do everything we can to ensure guest satisfaction. I'm glad we had the opportunity to switch you to a room with a better view. I'm also happy you were able to enjoy the restaurant and the other amenities, and we hope we made your "Babymoon" a memorable one!

We hope to see you again in the future!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Long Bay Resort? Share your experiences!